Like Tree21Likes
  • 8 Post By Bill Snyder
  • 8 Post By Darus214
  • 1 Post By fwaits
  • 1 Post By Ebaneeezor
  • 1 Post By sudakoma
  • 1 Post By sudakoma
  • 1 Post By crav4speed

the iPhone5 is going up on eBay and I'm keeping the Lumia 920.

At first I was annoyed at some of the little things that the iPhone did and the Lumia didn't. But it soon turned the other way around.

My top ten little things

10) I am not forced to have a unified email inbox
    9) The camera app works seamlessly with other edit and export apps (e.g. Flickr)
    8) Can wake up the phone with the camera button
    7) Can use the screen with gloves on!
    6) I can get my SMS messages spoken automatically and reply - with the phone in my
    pocket. Quite handy when you are dealing with a couple little ones and your wife
    messages you.
    5) The back button. How'd I live with out this? :lol:
    4) The camera flash is a great flash lite (I can see now when I take the dog out)
    3) The stock Nokia sound effects
    2) Stock Nokia apps are some of the best I've never heard of. Drive FTW!
    1) Office rocks. Was able to open a complicated macro Excel file for work today. Nice!
    Thanked by:
    KoukiFC3S, a5cent, MAERSK and 5 others like this.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I just purchased my first wp device too after 3 generations of iPhones. I was a bit nervous about the switch but after playing with the lumia for a day....not goin back anytime soon. The app situation is a bit of a bummer but I think itll improve once more people get on wp8
    Thanked by:
    KoukiFC3S, a5cent, vp710 and 5 others like this.

iSee what you did there. =) Welcome to the WP club, it's great now, and will only get better.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
    philharmonik likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post

Maybe I am the one confused here, but my issue is the opposite. It seems we don't have the option for a unified mailbox (which I would prefer). Is this true?

Yeah, I moving from one ecosystem to another is tough. It's the apps and its the nuances of the OS/Hardware that you don't even realize you use until they are gone. But I've used the Lumia enough to know I personally like it more than the iPhone5. Hardware AND OS. Looking forward to seeing how MS moves WP8 forward....

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    6) I can get my SMS messages spoken automatically and reply - with the phone in my pocket. Quite handy when you are dealing with a couple little ones and your wife messages you.
    Really? That's awesome!

Global Posts
    2,681 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Really? That's awesome!
    Yeh wp7 does that too! My friends think its the coolest thing when tell me comes through Bluetooth in my car and she reads my message I speak what I want her to send and she sends it. Lol its awesome!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    Maybe I am the one confused here, but my issue is the opposite. It seems we don't have the option for a unified mailbox (which I would prefer). Is this true?
    You have to link your accounts to the mail box. When you are in your mailbox, pull up the settings. if you haven't linked your boxes they will show up in other inboxes. if You click on an inbox under other inboxes, it will link it to you inbox.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Really? That's awesome!
    How did you set this up?

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    You can - when you open outlook email (formerly live.com account) its in the initial settings menu after pressing the three little dot thingy in that settings menu you can choose the "Link inboxes". He was simply saying he's not "forced" to do this.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamdunne View Post
    How did you set this up?
    If your referring to setting up the speech or reading messages to you, its in the settings/system page/speech in there select Use speech when the phone is locked
    that should do it.

the iPhone5 is going up on eBay and I'm keeping the Lumia 920.

At first I was annoyed at some of the little things that the iPhone did and the Lumia didn't. But it soon turned the other way around.

My top ten little things

9) The camera app works seamlessly with other edit and export apps (e.g. Flickr)
    8) Can wake up the phone with the camera button
    7) Can use the screen with gloves on!
    6) I can get my SMS messages spoken automatically and reply - with the phone in my
    pocket. Quite handy when you are dealing with a couple little ones and your wife
    messages you.
    5) The back button. How'd I live with out this? :lol:
    4) The camera flash is a great flash lite (I can see now when I take the dog out)
    3) The stock Nokia sound effects
    2) Stock Nokia apps are some of the best I've never heard of. Drive FTW!
    1) Office rocks. Was able to open a complicated macro Excel file for work today. Nice!
    Seriously - I hate going to use our family iPod now (and have for the last 2+ years since I got a WP). Its one of the things that I feel WP and Android trump iOS on. Convenience sake is so nice - especially since you ALWAYS know where the back button is located instead of having to search for wherever a dev decided to place it.

Though, I have an e-mail address I use quite frequently through my dad's web company and the spam filter through it is not that good. So I can get tons of spam e-mail (not nearly as much as we used to). I wish the email app flagged junk mail either more reliably or period. But, its easy enough to delete things. Just time consuming.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

I would like to apologise for my reply to your original post. At the time I thought you were just trolling with the list of complaints you had.

Glad you gave WP8 a little more time to grow on you and welcome to the club!
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Simply go to one of your email account inboxes and tap the options icon (3 dots bottom right) and click 'link inboxes'...that's it.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamdunne View Post
    How did you set this up?
    Settings under speech.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post
    Seriously - I hate going to use our family iPod now (and have for the last 2+ years since I got a WP). Its one of the things that I feel WP and Android trump iOS on. Convenience sake is so nice - especially since you ALWAYS know where the back button is located instead of having to search for wherever a dev decided to place it.

Though, I have an e-mail address I use quite frequently through my dad's web company and the spam filter through it is not that good. So I can get tons of spam e-mail (not nearly as much as we used to). I wish the email app flagged junk mail either more reliably or period. But, its easy enough to delete things. Just time consuming.
    You can, just setup in outlook.com

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Glad to see you changed your mind and are sticking with WP. Welcome to the club... feels great doesn't it?
    Windows - Surface RT

Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

KoukiFC3S likes this.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    messages you.
    How do you do this?

Welcome to the WP8 fan club!!!

I ended up returning back my iphone 5 for awesome looking Lumia 920!!!

I have been using the phone for than a week now and I am very happy with it.

On the unified email inbox. I have both my gmail and outlook inbox pin up to the start screen and they are certainly not unified.

Cheers

How do you wake up the phone with the camera button? Mine doesn't seem to do this...

sudakoma - thanks, I appreciate that. It's all good - Just had to vent a little in that first post :)

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gobble01 View Post
    How do you wake up the phone with the camera button? Mine doesn't seem to do this...
    It is an optional behavior. There are two settings under photos+camera that affect this behavior:
    - "Press and hold camera button to wake up the phone"
    - "Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked"

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I did also say good bye to my iPhone! Now, after 10 days of using my new incredible Lumia 920, I do miss the Crapple stuff not a bit. WP8 and the Lumia 920 fit perfect and it is a sysmtematic further development of the iPhone 4s (much more than the iPhone 5).

I am really looking forward for what will come next. Nokia and M$ did a very good job! Especially when keeping in mind that this is a all new os running on a brand new hardware!

I used to be a Apple-Fanboy...but now I am going to be a Lumia 920 fanboy