Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MerlotC
  1. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #1  
    The primary reason I am planning to move to WP8 from iPhone 4s is the Lumia 920 camera! But I honestly don't know where I stand on this anymore :/ On one hand, the daylight camera issue does seem like a software issue. On the other hand, how on earth can they let something like this slip through the QA? Makes me question the idea that a fix is even possible or not. And there hasn't been any more information from Nokia's side apart from that one tweet by @XavierNokia.

    While it's tempting to just go ahead and buy it and trust nokia to provide a fix later, it's kinda hard to trust them when they let something so obvious slip though!

    So I'm going to wait until the end of 2012 and then get an iPhone 5 :/

    What about you guys!
  2. #2  
    I ordered one two days ago, but the order is still pending. Nokia fixed the 900 camera in short order, no reason to think this won't be the same. Nokia is one of the few phone manufacturers that actually stand behind and support their products.

    Also, besides low light shots and video, the i5s camera is pretty nice. Why not get the lumia and then you would have wp8 and ios. Best of both worlds.
    Last edited by independentvolume; 11-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
  3. nico002's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #3  
    The daylight camera is on par with other good phone camera's out there. The advantage the lumia has is low light performance and video recording (due to stabilization).
  4. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nico002 View Post
    The daylight camera is on par with other good phone camera's out there. The advantage the lumia has is low light performance and video recording (due to stabilization).
    Unfortunately, I don't find that to be true. When viewed at full resolution on a big screen, 920s daylight pictures lack details, looks out of focus and are blurry, when compared to my 4s pictures in similar lighting situations.
  5. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    #5  
    The daylight "issue" really isn't much of an issue to begin with. The shots Ive seen look fine (and nothing compares to the 920 low light shots). If you want more saturated or sharper images, just do that in post processing for now. It would be easy to make those changes automatic in the software so Im sure Nokia will do that in short order.
    larrynj likes this.
  6. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    I ordered one two days ago, but the order is still pending. Nokia fixed the 900 camera in short order, no reason to think this won't be the same. Nokia is one of the few phone manufacturers that actually stand behind and support their products.
    I'm really hoping that Nokia fixes the daylight issue. And tbh, I probably would have succumbed into ordering one had it not been so godd*mn hard! Apparently, there's no way to order a Red Lumia 920 on a business contract here in the UK! And I've made 4 trips to various EE and Phones4U showrooms here in North London, but they never have the actual phone on display. Just the dummies.
  7. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlotC View Post
    The daylight "issue" really isn't much of an issue to begin with. The shots Ive seen look fine (and nothing compares to the 920 low light shots). If you want more saturated or sharper images, just do that in post processing for now. It would be easy to make those changes automatic in the software so Im sure Nokia will do that in short order.
    I don't agree that they look fine. Far from it. I first noticed the lack of details in Ben Sandofsky's picture on the day of WP8 launch. Take this picture for example - https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...008.jpg?psid=1. When you try to read the text on the giant phone pictures when zoomed in, lack of details is more than apparent.

    Post-processing on jpeg files suck. If only there was a way you could get the raw file! This wouldn't have been such a big issue afterall.
  8. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    I don't agree that they look fine. Far from it. I first noticed the lack of details in Ben Sandofsky's picture on the day of WP8 launch. Take this picture for example - https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...008.jpg?psid=1. When you try to read the text on the giant phone pictures when zoomed in, lack of details is more than apparent.

    Post-processing on jpeg files suck. If only there was a way you could get the raw file! This wouldn't have been such a big issue afterall.
    You are trusting photos from a guy that can't even hold his camera level with the ground? His collection his terrible! This softness thing is way overblown. Yes, it is a bit heavy handed on noise reduction, but it is never blurry if you have a steady hand and know how to focus a shot! Check out some pics by forum member philharmonik. He posted these in the photos thread:

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...PGToEqTf-YW9hU
    Thanked by:
  9. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    You are trusting photos from a guy that can't even hold his camera level with the ground? His collection his terrible! This softness thing is way overblown. Yes, it is a bit heavy handed on noise reduction, but it is never blurry if you have a steady hand and know how to focus a shot! Check out some pics by forum member philharmonik. He posted these in the photos thread:

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...PGToEqTf-YW9hU
    The link doesn't seem to work for me :/ I am getting "This item might not exist or is no longer available" message.
  10. sabotagebx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    The primary reason I am planning to move to WP8 from iPhone 4s is the Lumia 920 camera! But I honestly don't know where I stand on this anymore :/ On one hand, the daylight camera issue does seem like a software issue. On the other hand, how on earth can they let something like this slip through the QA? Makes me question the idea that a fix is even possible or not. And there hasn't been any more information from Nokia's side apart from that one tweet by @XavierNokia.

    While it's tempting to just go ahead and buy it and trust nokia to provide a fix later, it's kinda hard to trust them when they let something so obvious slip though!

    So I'm going to wait until the end of 2012 and then get an iPhone 5 :/

    What about you guys!
    it slipped through because they rushed it out. the phone was already heavily delayed, anymore would cause this phone to not sell at all
  11. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    The link doesn't seem to work for me :/ I am getting "This item might not exist or is no longer available" message.
    Hmm, try his post:

    Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!
  12. Dr Arnheim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #12  
    These are more or less all macro pictures in which the daylight issue is absent. The daylight issue shows on pictures in which the object is 20 feet away from the lens. Moreover, the daylight issue is not a daylight issue but also there in nightlife picture, however, not so visible since nightshots are darker, noisier etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    The link doesn't seem to work for me :/ I am getting "This item might not exist or is no longer available" message.
  13. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Arnheim View Post
    These are more or less all macro pictures in which the daylight issue is absent. The daylight issue shows on pictures in which the object is 20 feet away from the lens. Moreover, the daylight issue is not a daylight issue but also there in nightlife picture, however, not so visible since nightshots are darker, noisier etc.
    Exactly. All the macro/close-up shots look pretty awesome what with the bokeh n all.

    Here's another example of lost details from that "Lumia pictures" thread - http://forums.wpcentral.com/attachme...121112_019.jpg Just look at any tree in the picture.
  14. loukkis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sabotagebx View Post
    it slipped through because they rushed it out. the phone was already heavily delayed, anymore would cause this phone to not sell at all
    I have been told, that global model has newer firmware by weeks, than those operator models, and in global model day light pictures are far more better. Heard this from "reliable" source. :P But i believe it thou..
  15. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by loukkis View Post
    I have been told, that global model has newer firmware by weeks, than those operator models, and in global model day light pictures are far more better. Heard this from "reliable" source. :P But i believe it thou..
    Well now wouldn't that be awesome! Any ideas when the global models will become available?
  16. eortizr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #16  
    lets get real, daylight pictures are not good enough for a new 'Premium' device. all other competitors cameras have better daylight quality than the 920, the fact that low-light is better does not compensate for the lack of quality during daylight unless you are a vampire and only go out during the night.
  17. #17  
    Already bought mine. And to be frank, I can live with the camera as is. It's not worse than my 4S. I am a firm believer in that it is tough to make a decision based on what another person posts. I have seen some god awful pics supposedly taken by the 920, some of them buy people who call themselves reviewers (on other sites) and I have yet to be able to reproduce the blurriness they experienced unless I uncontrollably shake while I am taking a picture. I am interested in Nokias response though, as this could be a good indication on how speedily they will treat other potential issues that may come up.
  18. Mountaingal77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #18  
    I too have been disappointed in the 920's camera. I currently have a iPhone 4, and am looking for a replacement. I've heard so much hype about the 920's camera, so I guess my expectations were too high. I played around with one this past weekend. The shot on the screen is great, but then at the last second it morphs into a softer duller picture. This happened over and over. I took pictures of people, and also objects at various distances. And it wasn't an issue of needing to zoom in afterwards. The zoomed in picture was even worse. I love the WP8 OS, and the phone itself is great. But I won't commit to the phone until the camera issues are worked out. I know a fix has been promised, but I don't want to chance it and wait til my return period has passed. I rely heavily on the camera in my phone (I take a lot of kid pics). The video capability and low light pics are amazing...but the bulk of my pictures are daylight still photos.
  19. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I have yet to be able to reproduce the blurriness they experienced unless I uncontrollably shake while I am taking a picture.
    I'd love to see some blur free and detailed landscape (and no close-ups) pictures taken in daylight by a 920. I also wonder if the picture quality differs when you take pictures by tapping on the screen as opposed to using the dedicated button.

Posting Permissions