Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Never bought an unlock phone and right now I am considering buying a Lumia 920 from Rogers or AT&T and getting it unlock. Here are some questions I have:

- Why are unlock phone much more expensive then carrier phone w/o a contract?
    - If I unlock a carrier phone and move it to Telus will I still get updates or are those provided by carrier only?

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambert View Post
    1- Why are unlock phone much more expensive then carrier phone w/o a contract?
    2- If I unlock a carrier phone and move it to Telus will I still get updates or are those provided by carrier only?
    1- Unlocked phones are more expensive simply because locked phones are subsidised by the operator, that is, they reduce the cost in the hope that they will make back the money you spend by your ongoing purchase of their services.

2- YES you will still get software updates for the device, but these will still be subject to operator approval (i.e. for devices with a Rogers firmware, Rogers have to give approval for the udpate). This is much, much faster on Windows Phone than Android, but there can still be delays. You should still receive the updates however.

Does Roger Canada use the same 3G cellular frequency as AT&T, then if I acquire a L920 from Roger Canada and pay for the Unlocking Service at:
    Unlocking4U - Unlocking the Nokia Lumia 920 mobile phone
    How much warranty will I got to use it outside North America networking.