Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Jmaxim's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #1  
    Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC? Also, besides CityLens and the PureView camera what are some of the other features that make this phone a must have? In other words, what sets it apart from the iPhone and say the Samsung Galaxy? My contract is up and I really want to get this phone but don't want to be bored after a day.
  2. Ocelott's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #2  
    My suggestion is study what Windows Phone 8 offers and then research the hardware
  3. zipro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmax25 View Post
    Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC? Also, besides CityLens and the PureView camera what are some of the other features that make this phone a must have? In other words, what sets it apart from the iPhone and say the Samsung Galaxy? My contract is up and I really want to get this phone but don't want to be bored after a day.
    - Vastly better camera
    - NFC
    - Wireless Charging
    - higher-res screen

    that's about it. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Lumia to iOS users. iOS and WP8 are very similar in terms of features and (limited) customizability. As an Android user, I'd say you're going to have a hard time adapting to the general lack of features on WP8. I switched from a Galaxy Nexus and I almost sold the Lumia again as soon as I got it. I was experiencing massive culture-shock. After a week with it, however, I've gotten used to it and quite like the experience. The camera is absolutely excellent.
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
  4. #4  
    The biggest benefits are going to be the identical UI. MS has done a superb job making the UI for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, and even XBOX damn near identical. What's great about this is you can set up your information that matters to you to display the same way, at the same time, on every device. You hear a lot of "ecosystem" jargon being thrown around on Apple forums. I think we are going to see a lot more of that sort of discussion here too, especially with skydrive. The beauty of developing for any of the aforementioned OS's is that you develop for one, you develop for all. We are going to see a lot of cross compatible software popping up here. One such (simple) example is Microsoft's own One-note, which is a lot like Apple's reminders, if you are familiar with that. I can set notes, make shopping lists, and it seamlessly bounces between my phone, PC, and (soon to be made by the elves) surface. It's honestly everything I have enjoyed from Apple (and I am typing this on an iMac with an iPhone 4S to my left) but coming from Microsoft with a UI tailor built to match between devices.

    As a bit of a side-note, my wife is a huge Apple fan (I'll be honest, I become one as well since the advent of the iPhone. She was a bit apprehensive of me getting a Windows phone 8 device, especially with how lackluster WP7 really was. Seeing me use Windows 8 and going back to WP8 really has her thinking about a windows phone (she has an iPhone now). I think it would be an easier sell if our iMac had touchscreen capabilities. Using the mouse for a lot of things in Windows 8 is a bit counter intuitive, or at least it feels that way. Being able to use your finger right on the screen makes a world of difference.
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
    KoukiFC3S and Hypetrak like this.
  5. autumnride's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #5  
    I love customising the home screen with all the beautiful and alive tiles!!

    It's your phone and unique! Damn I love it!!!
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
    ibbyj and metalchick719 like this.
  6. zipro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnride View Post
    I love customising the home screen with all the beautiful and alive tiles!!

    It's your phone and unique! Damn I love it!!!
    again - for me, moving around little colorful blocks really isn't "customizing".
  7. TMavC5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    584 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmax25 View Post
    Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC? Also, besides CityLens and the PureView camera what are some of the other features that make this phone a must have? In other words, what sets it apart from the iPhone and say the Samsung Galaxy? My contract is up and I really want to get this phone but don't want to be bored after a day.
    You like social network? One stop shop. Go Windows Phone (United States) and experience what Windows phone are all about.
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
    metalchick719 likes this.
  8. zipro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    The biggest benefits are going to be the identical UI.
    "nearly identical" might be a bit exaggerated here :-) They look SIMILAR. Apple does the same thing. I actually find it quite frustrating that MS didn't implement the charms, the app-switching gestures etc. for WP8. After working with the Surface, I constantly find myself swiping in from the right side of the screen, only to see nothing happen on WP8.
  9. XENOPHOS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,402 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    #9  
    Perhaps u might want to consider security too. WP8 has the best security out there...better than any phone or OS.

    Other than that, the "fun" element remains, more or less the same with every device, irrespective of the OS. But with WP8, U have a uber cool Music player, XBOX integration with ur XBOX account, books to read and an awesome camera of course...



    Sent from my RaZr HD.
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
  10. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    966 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmax25 View Post
    Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC?
    Not really. They have a similar interface, but entirely different apps. There's also zero integration between the two devices other than the fact that they pull from the same sources.

    The only real benefit of having both is that you can use Xbox Music on both of them, and to some, that's not even much of an advantage.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not really. They have a similar interface, but entirely different apps. There's also zero integration between the two devices other than the fact that they pull from the same sources.



    The only real benefit of having both is that you can use Xbox Music on both of them, and to some, that's not even much of an advantage.

    I don't know that I agree with the zero integration statement. Certain apps sync over such as one note, office, and mail. As mentioned before, the way development for the platforms works we are bound to see more and more integration from third parties in the future too.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    "nearly identical" might be a bit exaggerated here :-) They look SIMILAR. Apple does the same thing. I actually find it quite frustrating that MS didn't implement the charms, the app-switching gestures etc. for WP8. After working with the Surface, I constantly find myself swiping in from the right side of the screen, only to see nothing happen on WP8.

    to each his own I guess, but I don't feel I exaggerated at all. Windows 8 is like windows phone 8 with a bunch more features, for good reason. Ios and osx have far fewer similarities than wp8 and windows 8.
  13. tlegend2012's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,255 Global Posts
    #13  
    Security comes first for me... Nice screen,Nice cam,and Business productivity... Iphone was not meant to be secure... it's same os for 7 yrs... basically a dead end in a way... wait and see Iphone 5s will be little wider... that will be it... Android is Nice if you like open source,but again everyone is different.. GSIII has a nice screen as well....
    TO recap, Productivity and security come first when buying a phone... Lumia 920 has both of em.
  14. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    966 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I don't know that I agree with the zero integration statement. Certain apps sync over such as one note, office, and mail. As mentioned before, the way development for the platforms works we are bound to see more and more integration from third parties in the future too.
    That's what I refer to in that they pull from the same sources. However, you can't, for example, see a phone number in an email on your tablet and tap on it to dial it to your phone, and you can't see your text messages on the tablet, and you can't buy an app once and have it on both devices. Games on WP8 don't (yet? supposedly it's coming to the Microsoft Minesweeper/Solitaire eventually) share data with games on Windows 8/RT, so you will have to beat Cut the Rope or Angry Birds Space on both devices.

    They're very much two separate devices, and you get no additional benefit from having both of them.
  15. brdl04's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    #15  
    Do not underestimate the benefit of using your phone with gloves on. It is a huge feature that if Apple had thought of would become a must have feature.

    For those in cold environments it is an incredible convenience.
  16. erzhik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #16  
    Vastly superior mapping technology....enough said.
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
  17. Kebero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    628 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,014 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlegend2012 View Post
    Productivity and security come first when buying a phone...
    Something tells me that the QNX-based Blackberry 10 devices are going to be the best choice there.
  18. mark1914's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    #18  
    I'm in the same dilemma. I picked up a 920 and I'm trying to really like it. I have a Galaxy Note 1. I'm not big into rooting or customizing that android folks do. My Note is plain Jane. I like the spen feature and my Instagram app. Other than that nothings uber special. I like the screen on my 920. I like the social interaction and that's about it. I'm actually thinking of selling my Note and getting a Surface tablet.
    ibbyj likes this.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's what I refer to in that they pull from the same sources. However, you can't, for example, see a phone number in an email on your tablet and tap on it to dial it to your phone, and you can't see your text messages on the tablet, and you can't buy an app once and have it on both devices. Games on WP8 don't (yet? supposedly it's coming to the Microsoft Minesweeper/Solitaire eventually) share data with games on Windows 8/RT, so you will have to beat Cut the Rope or Angry Birds Space on both devices.



    They're very much two separate devices, and you get no additional benefit from having both of them.

    I see where you are coming from. My point was speaking of interfaces. I have my phone and my windows 8 login setup such that all of my information is presented in the same manner. This is already more than any other desktop and phone integration I have seen. Could we see more integration? Absolutely. Some of your examples I would actually find quite useful. To me, saying there is not reason to have both is a bit of an overstatement though.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
    Vastly superior mapping technology....enough said.

    supposedly much of that is coming to IOS and android from Nokia themselves here in the bear future.
  21. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    966 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    To me, saying there is not reason to have both is a bit of an overstatement though.
    I didn't say there is no reason to have both. I said there is no added benefit of having both. If you think a Lumia 920 is the best for you as a phone, that doesn't automatically mean that the Surface is the best for you as a tablet, because you get nothing extra from that scenario. The same goes the other way around.

    On the other hand, if you have an iPhone or iPad, the equivalent other device automatically becomes much more compelling simply because of the app compatibility.
  22. roxxette's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #22  
    Wp8 and have the tank look and feel of Nokia.
  23. karmamule's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    #23  
    The addition of small tiles makes all the difference in the world. There are so many possible looks and arrangements now.

    Stand out features for me that matter day-to-day and I will never tire of:

    - Beautiful screen
    - Extremely capable camera in low-light. I happen to think the daytime pics are really good too.
    - Excellent sound quality with headphones. I listen to lots of music and this is huge for me.
    - Super smooth OS. In my experience having owned various iPhones, iPads, etc., even iOS is more prone to occasional slow-down than WP8. (And of course, Android, well... up until jelly bean it's not even worth mentioning in that regard)
    - And as I've learned over the last couple days, my lazy side really appreciates wireless charging! ;-)
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I didn't say there is no reason to have both. I said there is no added benefit of having both. If you think a Lumia 920 is the best for you as a phone, that doesn't automatically mean that the Surface is the best for you as a tablet, because you get nothing extra from that scenario. The same goes the other way around.



    On the other hand, if you have an iPhone or iPad, the equivalent other device automatically becomes much more compelling simply because of the app compatibility.

    ok. We seem to be going back and forth here. You didn't say there is no reason to have both. You are right. I meant that I still feel there is an added benefit simply based on the UI.

    Right now windows 8 tablets tie in better with desktops. I would say better than an iPad ties in with desktops.

    I am also looking at the future. Unless MS severely drops the ball with updates I wouldn't even think of my next tablet being an iPad if I were to keep my windows phone device. And this is coming from someone who had plenty of apple devices in the house.

    Bottom line: if you are looking for tablet/phone interaction, IOS or even stock android might be the better option. Speaking desktop to phone or tablet to desktop, there is no combination strictly better than windows right now.
  25. muddtt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmax25 View Post
    Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC? Also, besides CityLens and the PureView camera what are some of the other features that make this phone a must have? In other words, what sets it apart from the iPhone and say the Samsung Galaxy? My contract is up and I really want to get this phone but don't want to be bored after a day.
    personally i like the hardware camera button to instant launch the camera app. But i'm a photo guy so that little thing is a big difference.

    Other thing that sets it apart from the samsung stuff is that samsung is terrible at updates due to touchwiz and the fact that by the time you buy your galaxy phone the next generation will be announced 2 months later and they'll leave you with no updates. Otherwise samsung makes great phones.
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B