Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By scottrgr
  • 1 Post By KoukiFC3S
  • 1 Post By Landsharkk
  • 1 Post By Xsever
  • 1 Post By ncxcstud
  • 2 Post By doublesman3486
  • 1 Post By gbx5
  1. scottrgr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
       #1  
    I'm in Canada, so fortunately I managed to snag one of these phones pretty early. I was just as excited as anyone, reading all of the news, paying close attention to every press conference, all that stuff. This phone seemed like the perfect phone to me, although now I'm having some second thoughts.

    To start off, which isn't really even the biggest issue, the battery life for me hasn't been the greatest. Getting up at 9am, and it's already dead at around supper time, and that's not even using LTE, or with any background apps running.

    Secondly, the camera didn't really meet my expectations, though everyone already knows about the camera by this point so I won't go into details.

    Thirdly, coming from a Lumia 710, I'm really not noticing much of a speed increase...Honestly, there are a few lags around the os, resuming apps doesn't happen as quick as I expected, and the Facebook app (which I understand isn't Microsoft/Nokias fault) still isn't the greatest. If you turn off the phone, then back on while you were on the app, you just get a black screen, requiring you to relaunch the app.

    Finally, as I'm sitting here studying, I go to grab my phone and it won't turn on... Somehow it just completely shutoff and no matter what I press or how long I press it for, the phone won't turn back on. I haven't gone back home to plug it in, but it definitely isn't due to a drained battery. Not sure what's going on, but overall I feel like an Android, sadly, would have been a better choice.

    Anyone else having buyers remorse or experiencing similar issues?
    Thanked by:
    maj71303 likes this.
  2. phirefly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #2  
    I still love my 920 but I have had a couple lockups. Try holding Volume down and the power button for 10-20 seconds. That always causes mine to reboot and come back from the dead.
    Thanked by:
  3. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,602 Global Posts
    #3  
    I just about hit 2 weeks with my 920, and I still love it.

    Camera is great to me. Battery seems good but I haven't pushed it yet.

    I do get frequent lockups but I am talking to Nokia atm to see if I can help them fix it.

    Will you be returning the phone? The Nexus 4 looks like a great device.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  4. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #4  
    To the OP, I'm going to guess you have a bad phone. The last 2 days I took my phone off the charger at 7:15am, then deliberately used it under heavy load (lots of game playing, browsing, etc) and by 9pm I still have about 25% battery life left.

    As for Facebook, if I'm in the app and lock the screen, when I unlocked the screen it takes less than 1 second for the app to 'resume'. I never get a black screen.

    And judging by how you don't notice much speed increase over the Lumia 710, I'm going to conclude you should get your phone swapped out for a working one.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  5. Ricky C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #5  
    The woes of being an early adopter. My wife got an iPhone4 the day it came out and it had many of the same problems. I got the iphone4 6 months later and it never had any of the glitches hers had. I kind of anticipated having some glitches with my Lumia, but am bummed out after hearing the battery problems, freezes, and the camera. I am wondering if the HTC 8X has the same issues and am thinking the problems with the 920 may be why it was priced so low.
  6. Xsever's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    442 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #6  
    I have the Rogers one from the first batch too. I did all the video reviews for you guys.

    So far I've been very happy with the phone. Battery hasn't been an issue with me as at work and home, I always try and charge the phone as frequently as I can (better for battery health).

    However, I am going to leave the house tomorrow at 7 AM with the phone fully charged and not charge it during the day and see how it lasts.

    As for lockups, only had one and was able to clear it with a hard reset.

    As for camera, Nokia will address the softness and under-saturation in a firmware update soon hopefully. Darker/low-light pictures still drop my jaw until now.

    As for speed, I saw a significant increase over the 900. Not sure why you're not spotting that. WP7 was already very fluid and fast.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS
    Thanked by:
    gnrthx 
    metalchick719 likes this.
  7. scottrgr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by phirefly View Post
    I still love my 920 but I have had a couple lockups. Try holding Volume down and the power button for 10-20 seconds. That always causes mine to reboot and come back from the dead.
    Heyyy! It worked! haha, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Will you be returning the phone? The Nexus 4 looks like a great device.
    The return policy with rogers here is that it must be within 15 days of purchase, and it must have under 30 minutes of airtime... The 30 minutes of air time part is what I found to be bull****, I was over 30 minutes within two days. But yea I've noticed the Nexus 4, and for a great price too! Something to consider I suppose...

    Quote Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
    To the OP, I'm going to guess you have a bad phone. The last 2 days I took my phone off the charger at 7:15am, then deliberately used it under heavy load (lots of game playing, browsing, etc) and by 9pm I still have about 25% battery life left.

    As for Facebook, if I'm in the app and lock the screen, when I unlocked the screen it takes less than 1 second for the app to 'resume'. I never get a black screen.

    And judging by how you don't notice much speed increase over the Lumia 710, I'm going to conclude you should get your phone swapped out for a working one.
    Yea, I'm gonna check out Rogers tonight actually, and see if I can send it away on warranty.
  8. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    842 Posts
    #8  
    scott - if your phone still isn't turning on. Press and 'volume down' and the 'power button' until it vibrates. Took me about 10+ seconds.

    I just had that happened to me. Phone did turn on after that.

    NVM - someone just beat me to the punch ;)
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

    Thanked by:
    metalchick719 likes this.
  9. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrgr View Post
    Anyone else having buyers remorse or experiencing similar issues?
    No.
  10. #10  
    I bet this whole battery issue has alot to do with the specially upgraded LTE chip on the AT&T and Rogers Lumia 920. Added to that, the OS software that AT&T and Rogers installed on the 920s are slightly different to that of the unlocked international versions.

    The unlocked Lumia 920s are showing longer battery life easily

    I dont mean to honk my horn, but this is exactly why i dont buy carrier branded phones. I alway stick to the international versions which are manufacturers specs and are not altered in anyway.

    Sure it costs a bit more but its worth it. Just my opinion.
    metalchick719 and gbx5 like this.
  11. gbx5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    I bet this whole battery issue has alot to do with the specially upgraded LTE chip on the AT&T and Rogers Lumia 920. Added to that, the OS software that AT&T and Rogers installed on the 920s are slightly different to that of the unlocked international versions.

    The unlocked Lumia 920s are showing longer battery life easily

    I dont mean to honk my horn, but this is exactly why i dont buy carrier branded phones. I alway stick to the international versions which are manufacturers specs and are not altered in anyway.

    Sure it costs a bit more but its worth it. Just my opinion.
    **** yeah man! Can't wait for my unlocked international red to arrive!
    metalchick719 likes this.
  12. njblackberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts
    #12  
    I also upgraded from a 710 to the 920, but have not had any of the issues you've had. I've also noticed a marked speed increase on all applications.
  13. cacb90's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #13  
    This is my third Lumia in a 4 days and I can't receive my text messages yet. I already changed the sim card and and called at&t and still nothing happens. Help, I don't know what to do.


    I still love my Lumia, BTW
  14. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,460 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,464 Global Posts
    #14  
    Sell it to me and get an iPhone

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

B