Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
  1.    #1  
    Purchased new Lumia 920 on Saturday, noticed 3 deep scratches on the screen next day. Has anyone else had same problem?

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    Mine has a scratch as well. The truth is, gorilla glass 2 is only scratch resistant and not scratch proof.
    Thanked by:

What are you doing to get scratches in the screen?

I got my 920 on Friday night and by Saturday morning I had several deep scratches in the screen. I wouldn't even say it's scratch resistant--more like a scratch magnet. I'm definitely investing in a screen protector. Any idea how to get the scratches out?

are you guys using your phones as snowboards? Did you see the drop test video? The thing slid across pavement and left with no scratches. (BTW, mine is spotless...)

Remove scratches:

Vibrant Gorilla Glass Scratch Repair - xda-developers

I invested in the full body Invisible Shield for $30. I've seen it on ebay for $22 w/shipping.
    Thanked by:
    astraith likes this.

I put mine in the cupholder of my car for about 10 seconds. I think that's what did it.

Looks like my best bet for fixing it is to get a screen protector that will cover it up. There's only one screen protector on Amazon for the 920--not much of a selection yet.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    won't a screen protector ruin one of the most touted benefits? (Super sensitive screen)
    Weird. I've dropped my trophy hundreds of times, not a scratch on it. Is gorilla glass 2 worse than original gorilla glass?
    That's pretty insane, is your cup holder made of rocks?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I have 0 idea how these people are scratching theirs. I used the prong end of a force on my touchscreen just to show a friend.
    holyxiaoxin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    That's pretty insane, is your cup holder made of rocks?
    Diamonds, it sounds like.

Several days into ownership I noticed a fairly large scratch on the screen today, and lots of little scuffs. As the day went on it got worse (and I was on the look out). I don't keep anything else in my phone pocket... certainly not diamonds. I have a tray to put it in my car which doesn't have any other objects in it either. Several of the scratches I can feel with my nail, which indicates they are rather deep indeed.

In short my experience so far is one that feels like a super-soft plastic screen and certainly not some kind of tough material.

I'd previously been using an HTC Titan for ~3 months w/o screen protector. It is in better condition than my 4 day old Lumia 920.

I'm a huge fan of the Lumia 920, this screen issue is proving rather disapointing.
    Thanked by:

My wife's phone has some small scratches. Almost seems like there is some thin layer on top of the glass that gets scratched

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Funny how members with 3 or less posts are complaining about deep scratches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    My wife's phone has some small scratches. Almost seems like there is some thin layer on top of the glass that gets scratched

I would assume there is an oleophobic coating on the glass, as there is with most modern touch screen devices these days. One important thing to note: this is going to scratch much more easily than the glass itself.

All that said, my phone has been dropped, a short 6 hours after buying, by my dear wife (love you honey!) right on the wood floor near the entry (probably the dirtiest grittiest part of the house...) and while there is a slight scuff on the top right corner of the casing, the screen looks good as new, even though the phone did a bit of a spin on the screen side. Everyone's mileage is going to vary, but if you are in a dusty, gritty environment, you are likely to get scratches. I tried a zagg on day one, but just couldn't deal with it. It was too rubbery, picked up fingerprints worse than the glass, and distorted the screen much more than any scratches the screen might accumulate ever would.
    Thanked by:

Make it 4 person getting light scratches. It's just from having it in my pocket and on a table. No major drops.

Make that 5. My phone slid about two inches face down on my smooth wooden desk at work (slid off an open textbook) and it has a gash in the screen now. I inspected the table and there were no jagged edges or anything. I am seriously dumbfounded.

This guy is taking a knife to it and not getting any scratches
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I don't believe any of this Hammer and Knife scratch test. My Samsung phone has gorilla glass and I managed to scratch mine too. I blame keeping my phone in pocket with loose coin change and or/car keys. That's only way I scratched my phone

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo925 View Post
    I don't believe any of this Hammer and Knife scratch test. My Samsung phone has gorilla glass and I managed to scratch mine too. I blame keeping my phone in pocket with loose coin change and or/car keys. That's only way I scratched my phone
    What is there to believE? You can clearly see him stabbing it with a knife. My GS3 I had for 3 months looked brand new. My lumia 920 still looks new too.

It's straight up dumb to keep your phone with your change/keys. I always put my phone in an empty pocket, and I clean it with my cloth/spray once or twice a day. Looks brand new.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I guess that I am one of the lucky ones to not have any scratches yet!! I keep my in my jacket pocket that has a zipper for the lip and also in my car cup holder and it slides around in that too! Not a scratch anyplace, screen nor the back!! Not even that little black camera strip has gotten any scratch on it!!
    Thanked by:

There seems to be 2 groups of Lumia 920 owners, each at opposite extremes. There's the group that scratches the Lumia 920 screen with pocket, fingernail, desk, cupholder, etc. And then there's the group that stabs their phone with a knife and nothing happens.

The only conclusion logical is that there are a number of Lumia 920's out there with defective screens.

I wonder if there's a way to differentiate Lumia 920 batch numbers and see if there's just a bad batch of them.
    Thanked by:
    This is distressing. I plan on having my 810 and my eventual 920 in my bag when I'm out on the go. It'll come into contact with other stuff in there because there's no separate pocket for a phone. Really don't want any scratches. My iPhone has not a one and I expect the same from my Lumia. :(

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I have some light scuffs in the screen. Not deep, but noticeable when the screen is off. I assume that's the oleophobic coating, not the glass. I've been extremely careful not to put the screen in contact with anything besides pockets and fingers, so I don't know what caused the light scratches.
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
    BCH likes this.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast