Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBadGuy_88

I was trying to find the off-contact Lumia 920 but seems AT&T's no-commitment price must be purchased with a plan and the credit check. However I found the Lumia 920 on Microsoft Store online which is 499$, a very good price. Here's the link: Nokia Lumia 920 for AT&T - Microsoft Store
    Did anyone know if I purchased one online, is there going be a credit check. Will the device be unactivated?
    Honestly, if you can't pass a credit check, you probably shouldn't be spending 500 bones on a phone. That said, once you check out it still pushes you through the at&t forms.

Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Honestly, if you can't pass a credit check, you probably shouldn't be spending 500 bones on a phone. That said, once you check out it still pushes you through the at&t forms.
    Actually I just wanted to use it with a prepaid plan

Be aware if you go prepaid (gophone) you can't get LTE speeds. I know because that's how I'm using my (dev) 920. I checked with some store AT&T reps (yeah, not ideal) but also on forums online. Prepaid users on AT&T are almost 2nd class users. I'd go with TMO if they had coverage where I needed it since they have better rates (IMO) and let unlocked phones use LTE.

Anyway to sort of answer your question from what I recall, if you purchase online via AT&T you must buy a plan (you can immedietly call and cancel though) but it's still locked to AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Godigiya View Post
    Actually I just wanted to use it with a prepaid plan
    I bought one from best buy, using the holiday price match promotion I was able to get the device for $450.00, I then got a net10 sim and for $50 a month I have unlimited talk text and web (approx. 2-5gb of 4g speeds)
    xcharles718 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadGuy_88 View Post
    I bought one from best buy, using the holiday price match promotion I was able to get the device for $450.00, I then got a net10 sim and for $50 a month I have unlimited talk text and web (approx. 2-5gb of 4g speeds)
    Doesn't net10 throttle your data if you stream/download, like StraightTalk does?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Babba View Post
    Be aware if you go prepaid (gophone) you can't get LTE speeds. I know because that's how I'm using my (dev) 920. I checked with some store AT&T reps (yeah, not ideal) but also on forums online. Prepaid users on AT&T are almost 2nd class users. I'd go with TMO if they had coverage where I needed it since they have better rates (IMO) and let unlocked phones use LTE.

Anyway to sort of answer your question from what I recall, if you purchase online via AT&T you must buy a plan (you can immedietly call and cancel though) but it's still locked to AT&T.
    Since I was not bothering by the 3G speed, it's ok for me to use the AT&T.

How did u do the promotion stuff? did u buy it online or in a retail store?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Same here.
    WPCentral's Resident Elitist :D