Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coreldan

Hey all,

Skype is now available in the marketplace :) Just a heads up!

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Say bye bye to facebook chat when you install this skype preview.

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zolgi View Post
    Say bye bye to facebook chat when you install this skype preview.
    But nobody I know even uses Skype while everyone uses facebook :D
    ibbyj likes this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    But nobody I know even uses Skype while everyone uses facebook :D

I mean if you install this skype preview, facebook chat doesnt work anymore. There is a bug.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I mean if you install this skype preview, facebook chat doesnt work anymore. There is a bug.
    You sure about that? Works fine here. Just tested and I have the new Skype preview app installed.
    Cingular (2001-2003) - Nokia 5190 > Nokia 3360
    Nextel (2003-2007) - i1000+ > i90c > i720 > i830 > i275 > i860 > i870
    AT&T (2007 to Present) - Treo 680 > iPhone 8GB > iPhone 3G 16GB > Moto Q9h Global >
    iPhone 3G 16GB > iPhone 3GS 16GB > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Focus > HTC HD7S >
    Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920 > Nokia Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiselle View Post
    You sure about that? Works fine here. Just tested and I have the new Skype preview app installed.
    Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview now in the Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser
    We have had reports that a preview version of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now in the Windows Phone Store.

The app can be found at the same URL as usual is not however without problems, with our tipster telling us that after installing it, Facebook Chat no longer worked, with all contacts being shown as “No one is online”.

We suggest readers wait for the final version.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview now in the Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser
    We have had reports that a preview version of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now in the Windows Phone Store.

The app can be found at the same URL as usual is not however without problems, with our tipster telling us that after installing it, Facebook Chat no longer worked, with all contacts being shown as “No one is online”.

We suggest readers wait for the final version.
    I get they're having issues. All I said was I am not. I tested it on my 920 with the Skype preview app, logged into Facebook messenger on my phone, and was able to see people online, and also succesfully sent a message.

EDIT: Just tested again. No problems here. Showing a few people online.
    Cingular (2001-2003) - Nokia 5190 > Nokia 3360
    Nextel (2003-2007) - i1000+ > i90c > i720 > i830 > i275 > i860 > i870
    AT&T (2007 to Present) - Treo 680 > iPhone 8GB > iPhone 3G 16GB > Moto Q9h Global >
    iPhone 3G 16GB > iPhone 3GS 16GB > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Focus > HTC HD7S >
    Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920 > Nokia Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    the facebook chat works fine for me too after installing skype preview

Global Posts
    2,655 Global Posts
    How does it integrate into the OS?

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?

I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressmicro View Post
    Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?

I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks
    You will recieve Skype calls even when Skype is shut down, after installation it bakes into the OS.

When Skype isn't being used, it doesn't run.

Your online presence is handled in the cloud, and only tells your phone when there is an interaction.

My facebook contacts are still showing up as online, just installed skype on my 920.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    When Skype isn't being used, it doesn't run.

Your online presence is handled in the cloud, and only tells your phone when there is an interaction.
    That sounds pretty good. So you can sill receive calls and Skype im's while it's not running? Does it work good?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    All I need is facebook chat to disappear entirely and I will be good to go!

That sounds pretty good. So you can sill receive calls and Skype im's while it's not running? Does it work good?
    Not sure about IM's, but yes you can receive skype calls when the skype app is not running. The incoming skype call acts just like a regular incoming phone call.

I think it's nifty. :)

And if I'm not mistaken, this allows people to make skype calls with Windows Phone 8 anywhere in the world, regardless of if you have carrier signal or not or whether you are in a different country, etc. As long as you have wifi connection you can get skype calls.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
    Not sure about IM's, but yes you can receive skype calls when the skype app is not running. The incoming skype call acts just like a regular incoming phone call.

I think it's nifty. :)

And if I'm not mistaken, this allows people to make skype calls with Windows Phone 8 anywhere in the world, regardless of if you have carrier signal or not or whether you are in a different country, etc. As long as you have wifi connection you can get skype calls.
    Well I really hope IMs come through when the app is closed. I use skype IMs more than calls. Does it still use 100% Skype when you send or receive a call? Just wondering because google Voice uses your cell minutes which is awful. Google voice won't even work without a mobile number on the phone which is stupid. I like Skype much better.