Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Is your black Lumia 920 getting too hot with poor battery life?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does both.

35 31.53%
  • It only gets hot.

10 9.01%
  • It only has bad battery life.

12 10.81%
  • My non-black Lumia 920 is fine.

17 15.32%
  • My BLACK Lumia 920 is totally fine.

37 33.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasLabRat View Post
    What did you mean exactly by this statement? Was nokia drive open and in the background? If so..it was probably actively running both your gps and data connection...that would chew through your battery fairly quickly and account for the hot spots on the phone. You have to actively close out Drive after you are done using it since it is allowed to run in the background fully active.
    Nokia drive was "enabled" in the background tasks / battery menu, but did not open or use drive or nokia maps (made sure they were completely closed - it's enabled even after reboot). The 2hr batt life while on the phone was after a reboot with nothing else open.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    Nokia drive was "enabled" in the background tasks / battery menu, but did not open or use drive or nokia maps (made sure they were completely closed - it's enabled even after reboot). The 2hr batt life while on the phone was after a reboot with nothing else open.
    ah ok...thanks for the clarification :)

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    Why would they be? It's just a different colored piece of plastic. I guarantee it's the same factory and same shipment of batteries.
    Some manufacturing processes will make the products in colour batches (or other differentiators) so there could well be differing batches even different manufacturers' batteries in different coloured phones.

I have a black Lumia 920. A few days ago I had a power drain of about 15% per hour and the device was warm on the back even when in standby. After rebooting the device, everything went back to normal and it didn't happen again since then.

Now battery life is only a little worse than my HTC Radar, but with the Lumia having the brighter screen (Radar is pretty dark when using auto brightness). After a full day I have still about 30% left. And yes, battery life got better after a few days (and charge cycles).
    Quote Originally Posted by pinbak View Post
    I got a red one that gets hot and the battery seems like it drains super fast!! Since Friday I have discharged it a full 3 times and charged back to 100!! Hopefully it is a break in thing but I don't ever remember my 900 nor my focus being this way!

Please read this link: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Basically, in a nutshell, regularly completely draining a lithium battery kills it faster.

That being said, I can't believe Nokia still hasn't got their battery sht worked out yet... Hope I get a good one.

My black lumia 920 kills a full charge in about 4.5-5 hrs and the area around the headphone jack always starts to get hot.

I didn't time it, but my phone seemed to not stay charged long yesterday. Last night I ran the battery down all the way down til it shut off and charged it all night. This morning it is back to 100% and using the battery app it says that I have 7 hours 58 minutes and 100%. This means if I don't charge my phone at work it will be dead by the time I go home. If that is the case, this phone is going back. :(

At first my Lumia 920 drains its battery fast, but after several charges I think the battery works normally now. So, be patience and charge the phone for a while and don't let the battery fully discharge too often.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My black 920 takes forever to charge and also gets very very warm. My old iphone4 charges like 4 times faster. I realize this has a larger battery, but damn. May exchange in few days.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    I've had mine for a week (black version) and while I generally dislike WP8 and will be selling it for other reasons, the battery has been awesome. I had about 50% left every day with 14-hour days.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Picked up a black matte L920 at my local ATT store yesterday afternoon, and I am really starting to like this phone more than the iPhone 4 it replaced.

However I am having the occasional Heat issue also, certain apps will trigger it and ocassionally it will overheat during phone calls as well.

Battery life has also been dissapointing....

But will be keeping my phone, as these problems CAN easily be fixed with a firmware update. Lets just hope Nokia is paying attention to these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by torresa View Post
    I didn't time it, but my phone seemed to not stay charged long yesterday. Last night I ran the battery down all the way down til it shut off and charged it all night. This morning it is back to 100% and using the battery app it says that I have 7 hours 58 minutes and 100%. This means if I don't charge my phone at work it will be dead by the time I go home. If that is the case, this phone is going back. :(
    Hmm, just got mine yesterday. Let it completely drain. Woke up this morning with a full battery and using the Battery Level app and the built-in batter saver (under settings) they say I have 1 day,15 hrs left. Definitely think you have a bad unit.

I really really hope I don't have a defective unit.:(

I wonder if I'm noticing the heat issue more because this is first phone I'm using without a case and its my first dual core phone. Also its the honeymoon period and I'm using/downloading way more stuff than usual. Crossing my fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Odog4ever View Post
    Hmm, just got mine yesterday. Let it completely drain. Woke up this morning with a full battery and using the Battery Level app and the built-in batter saver (under settings) they say I have 1 day,15 hrs left. Definitely think you have a bad unit.
    Ok, just looked at it and it said 97% 3 days 22 hours 59 min.... After browsing the web to get to this page and re checking it... 94% 3days 19 hours 4 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
    I only have a sample size of two phones, so I thought I'd get a larger set of data by asking everyone here what their experiences have been. I have a matte black Lumia 920, my wife has a glossy red Lumia 920. Both purchased yesterday. Mine lasts about half a day, if that, on a single charge and gets considerably warmer--the point of nearly being "hot"--than the red model, which seems to have a MUCH superior battery life and doesn't get warm at all.

So, is this a fixable firmware issue or something that should merit a return and exchange? I will say that this happened to me with my first Lumia 900 too--I had a black one that got too hot and drained its battery. This should NOT be happening, so I don't think it's anything that Nokia meant to have happen.

Please answer in the poll below whether you have a black phone and if its getting hot with noticeably decreased battery life. Thanks!
    I picked up a black 920 on the 9th. The top of the phone (on the back) is running warmer than the bottom. The battery drains very rapidly - need to charge twice a day! It also takes forever to charge.

I think I should test it a day or two more before taking it back to the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odog4ever View Post
    I really really hope I don't have a defective unit.:(

I wonder if I'm noticing the heat issue more because this is first phone I'm using without a case and its my first dual core phone. Also its the honeymoon period and I'm using/downloading way more stuff than usual. Crossing my fingers...
    I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure that my unit doesn't have a heat issue. My old phone was a HTC Hero and after heavy use or if it'd been charging or I'd been on a phone for a while the backside of the phone was quite hot. Having said this, I've had the phone for 4 years and I can still get 2-3 days out of the thing. I've noticed that when I've been on a phone call or browsing the web or something like that, the back of the phone has been warm but definitely not hot by any definition. This has also cooled down very quickly when I stopped doing anything.

I've been reading up on Lithium batteries and how to charge them properly and I've been trying to do this with my 920. I'm going to let the charge go right down this time just so I can get a figure of what the battery life is like at the moment for the purposes of this thread. Having said this, I've managed to keep my 920 going for a good 12 hours now and it's only down to 44% battery with a reported 1 day and 8 hours left on it now.
    Last edited by Muessig; 11-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I am starting to think it was the drive app on my phone! I uninstalled it because I'd never use it anyway and the battery life has skyrocketed!!! Sent about 20-25 text this morning and also streamed and fooled around with settings and it still shows 99%. Yesterday doing the same thing would've had it in the 80% range!!

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pinbak View Post
    I am starting to think it was the drive app on my phone!
    Instead of uninstalling it, you could have tried just disabling location services
    Thanked by:
    pinbak 

Could be the drive app, Mine was running in the background when I got the phone, I turned it off just because I dont use it, and I have not had any heat issues other then when playing a game(which even that wasnt bad), and my battery lasted a good day and a half with every day usage.

its not like the OS is a resource hog, and the way i look at it is if the phone is constently trying to pull your GPS location, and depending on were you are at and you LTE coverage, it could be chewing through your battery just trying to get you location.

I would try turning it off and see if it makes a difference, 10 bucks it will.

Settings -> swipe right -> background tasks -> nokia drive+beta -> click block (which will just turn off the background task, not disable the entire app from working)
    Last edited by h4ck3d; 11-11-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Okay, so last night I reset my phone and tested it out with only the apps that were installed out-of-the-box. The battery life seemed good at that point where I was only losing 1-3% per hour on very light usage over LTE. Before, I was losing ~15% per hour over LTE.

Then, I did another reset restoring the apps but uninstalled everything I considered non-essential. I also turned off the Location Services. It did seem to take a relatively longer amount of time to charge last night (~2.5 hours from 0% to 100%), at least compared to the android phones I'm coming from, but after running over LTE this morning for 2 hours, the battery has only dropped 3%.

I know this is a horrible approach to testing because there are so many variables I changed from test to test but at least from what I'm initially seeing, battery performance looks much better now. I'll update as I do more testing...

I'm going to test out the theory about nokia drive.

I left my phone on the charger all night last night, took it off at 7:15am and then reboot the phone at 7:30am. Drive is still 'enabled' in background tasks. I'll see how long the phone lasts today with drive enabled.

Tonight I'll charge it all night, disable the Nokia Drive background task, and then take it off the charger at 7:15am tomorrow, reboot it at 7:30am.

One thing to note, every time I take it off the charger at 100% charge the battery saver app tells me I have 1 day 15 hours left., I've never seen it higher than that.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    You see battery complaints with virtually every new smartphone now. Why? People download a ****load and apps and allow all of them to run in the background and use "my location". I blocked Nokia Drive from running in the back within the first 6 minutes of owning the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    You see battery complaints with virtually every new smartphone now. Why? People download a ****load and apps and allow all of them to run in the background and use "my location".
    Some do, some don't. I've only installed about 6 apps. In the background tasks menu only 4 use background tasks (1 of those was pre-installed).

If you read through the whole thread you'll see that a lot of people are experiencing short battery times even when not using the phone or with little to no apps installed.

I agree that it's a bit too early to tell exactly how good/bad the battery life will be over time, but having this thread allows for a base of comparison for when we've had the phones for a week or two.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Blocked Nokia Drive Beta as someone suggested, and have seen an immediate improvement in battery life, and device temperature.
    If you are having issues, I highly recommend this as a temp fix, until Nokia can push an update to ressolve this.

Thanks to whoever suggested blocking Nokia Drive! :-]

Quote Originally Posted by emergenic View Post
    Blocked Nokia Drive Beta as someone suggested, and have seen an immediate improvement in battery life, and device temperature.
    If you are having issues, I highly recommend this as a temp fix, until Nokia can push an update to ressolve this.

Thanks to whoever suggested blocking Nokia Drive! :-]
    I just went to settings> applications>background tasks and closed Drive Beta, without blocking it. Seems like it hangs on, if you have used it recently. My battery life has gone way up, and the phone is much cooler. Plus, I still have it available, if I need it. Just need to check that it has, in fact, closed, after you are done using it.

I'm guessing this happened to some of the tech reviewers also, as the battery portion of the various reviews was so mixed.

That being said, at least Nokia does label this a "beta" :)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast