Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hasasimo View Post
    To all of you whose devices bricked after a hard reset, may I ask what color your phones were? Just wondering if there's any correlation like there was with some of the Lumia 900's issues... I'm not a phone racist :D.
    Mine was red. AT&T version. Plugged to the stock default charger when I did the factory reset from the settings option. Got stuck in the "spinning gears" screen.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    My 920 was black. Just wanted to update on my situation:

As I said before I had e-mailed Nokia about my phone messing up yesterday morning. I just got home for lunch about twenty minutes ago, and there was my brand new Nokia Lumia 920 already delivered from UPS waiting on me :) Went ahead and did the factory reset out of the box, and it booted up just fine afterwards. They also sent an envelope and a return shipping label so all I have to do is drop the broken one off at the UPS store later! Easiest time I've ever had dealing with a phone manufacturer. When I've tried dealing with Samsung and HTC in the past, I've had to practically jump through hoops to get anything done. Nokia did it with no issues. This is my first Nokia device, and I don't think I'll ever go back to another!
    metalchick719 likes this.

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    To all of you whose devices bricked after a hard reset, may I ask what color your phones were? Just wondering if there's any correlation like there was with some of the Lumia 900's issues... I'm not a phone racist :D.
    Mine was black.

I really wish I had been paying more attention to the forums over the last couple of days and had read this thread. I was having issues with notifications and below par battery life so tried a factory reset last night. I plugged it in, used the reset option in the About screen, and an hour later I was still looking at two gears spinning on the display. I left the phone plugged in overnight, and when I got up this morning I saw the Nokia logo on the screen. I unplugged it and the phone immediately turned off and wouldn't respond to any button presses at all when unplugged; when I plugged it back in it got as far as the Nokia logo again and died. The factory reset button combination didn't work either.

Unfortunately not a single corporate store within 20 miles of me had any matte black 920s in stock, but I found one store that had a few white ones left. The rep that assisted me was very helpful, and in the end I didn't need to pay a restocking fee to swap out to a white 920 (I had to pay the $35 fee, but he credited my AT&T account for $35 to even things out).

The white is definitely a fingerprint magnet, but I think I prefer the feel of it over the black. It doesn't feel as slippery to me. Swapping out to a white was actually a good thing since it's the color I wanted originally but on launch day (all any of the stores had here was black last Friday).

My new one is charging right now, hopefully I won't have any issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    My 920 was black. Just wanted to update on my situation:

As I said before I had e-mailed Nokia about my phone messing up yesterday morning. I just got home for lunch about twenty minutes ago, and there was my brand new Nokia Lumia 920 already delivered from UPS waiting on me :) Went ahead and did the factory reset out of the box, and it booted up just fine afterwards. They also sent an envelope and a return shipping label so all I have to do is drop the broken one off at the UPS store later! Easiest time I've ever had dealing with a phone manufacturer. When I've tried dealing with Samsung and HTC in the past, I've had to practically jump through hoops to get anything done. Nokia did it with no issues. This is my first Nokia device, and I don't think I'll ever go back to another!
    What color and did you buy yours from AT&T? Does it have the vibration rattle?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    Mine was black.

I really wish I had been paying more attention to the forums over the last couple of days and had read this thread. I was having issues with notifications and below par battery life so tried a factory reset last night. I plugged it in, used the reset option in the About screen, and an hour later I was still looking at two gears spinning on the display. I left the phone plugged in overnight, and when I got up this morning I saw the Nokia logo on the screen. I unplugged it and the phone immediately turned off and wouldn't respond to any button presses at all when unplugged; when I plugged it back in it got as far as the Nokia logo again and died. The factory reset button combination didn't work either.

Unfortunately not a single corporate store within 20 miles of me had any matte black 920s in stock, but I found one store that had a few white ones left. The rep that assisted me was very helpful, and in the end I didn't need to pay a restocking fee to swap out to a white 920 (I had to pay the $35 fee, but he credited my AT&T account for $35 to even things out).

The white is definitely a fingerprint magnet, but I think I prefer the feel of it over the black. It doesn't feel as slippery to me. Swapping out to a white was actually a good thing since it's the color I wanted originally but on launch day (all any of the stores had here was black last Friday).

My new one is charging right now, hopefully I won't have any issues with it.
    Are you going to try a factory reset on this new one just to make sure it'll actually reboot (while you can still return/exchange it)? I just got my L920 and I'm afraid to try a factory reset since I got the phone from Ebay (more of a hassle to exchange/return).

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyoTGZ View Post
    What color and did you buy yours from AT&T? Does it have the vibration rattle?
    Black, and I bought it in store. My replacement came from Nokia though, and I haven't noticed a rattle that seems excessive like some people seem to have experienced. Also, on my first 920 the capacitive buttons were a yellowish but on this Lumia they're more white.

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    Are you going to try a factory reset on this new one just to make sure it'll actually reboot (while you can still return/exchange it)? I just got my L920 and I'm afraid to try a factory reset since I got the phone from Ebay (more of a hassle to exchange/return).
    I thought about it, but after my first factory reset I'm too scared.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    I thought about it, but after my first factory reset I'm too scared.
    When I got my second Lumia I did the factory reset right out of the box

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Glad we have a thread. I bought the phone on release day(Friday) and because of not so stellar battery life I did a hard reset on Sunday to find it only stuck on gears for hours until the battery ran out. When I booted it back on, it was stuck on Nokia logo. I took it to the ATT store and they agreed for swapping a new one but unfortunately there wasn't a single 920 black available anywhere near the city. So the store person did an online order for store pickup and it was shipped on Tuesday. The stupid thing is now usps.com has no progress at all in the package. It has been in USPS sort center, Memphis for past 4 days. I don't know what is wrong with USPS. I went to store yesterday and they confirmed the phone has not arrived yet. I'm livid and wishing I never bought this phone on launch day.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I tried to reset my Cyan 920 in hopes of better battery life and now it's bricked. Won't go past the Nokia screen. I've been fighting with AT&T all morning, b/c they have the worst customer service in world history. They don't have any 920s in stock at the stores around here (Queens, NY), and they tried to charge me a $35 restocking fee. The idea that I would give them a single penny to restock a broken phone is one of the more hilarious things I've been told in a while. My other option is to mail it back to AT&T and wait (possibly weeks) for them to get another cyan in stock and ship it to me.

Anyway, I called Nokia directly and they seem more helpful, but I'm still waiting for someone there to call me back with a final solution. I'm really wanting to leave Apple, but Nokia, and especially AT&T, are making that process much harder than it needs to be.

Just had the same thing happen to me. Was having issues sending sms/email, and the phone complained of corrupt files. Did a reset, go stuck in the spinning gears and now the phone is stuck in the Nokia logo... Obviously had to happen 2 hours before I'm supposed to travel for 2 weeks... :(

Very disappointed that Nokia doesn't provide a tool to flash your phone like other manufacturers.

It was an unlocked black model from France... :(

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    The very disappointing thing is that Nokia has not come forward this time and acknowledged any of the issues we've been having. Not only hard reset bricking. Battery life, getting warm, vibration, scratches, auto brightness, soft daylight photos etc. Not that I had every issue I said but these were widely reported but we're yet to see any official acknowledgement from Nokia. Remember 900 where they acknowledged an issue immediately and issued an update? This seems to be not happening with 920. Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcio Marinho View Post
    Just had the same thing happen to me. Was having issues sending sms/email, and the phone complained of corrupt files. Did a reset, go stuck in the spinning gears and now the phone is stuck in the Nokia logo... Obviously had to happen 2 hours before I'm supposed to travel for 2 weeks... :(

Very disappointed that Nokia doesn't provide a tool to flash your phone like other manufacturers.

It was an unlocked black model from France... :(
    There's actually a flashing tool floating around called the Nokia Care Suite. I considered that as my last resort when my first 920 got bricked and if I can't find an exact replacement (thankfully, ATT replaced mine).

I haven't tested the Care Suite yet though because I'm on a Mac and it only runs on x64 Windows (My Bootcamp Windows 7 is 32 bit).

Even then, I can't find any AT&T 920 ROMs yet when mine got bricked so that would've been a dead end for me. (I found a stock 920 ROM and the Rogers version on Tuesday, I don't know the situation now). As a side note, even the techs in the AT&T stores I went to told me they didn't have the flashing software yet (they probably didn't have the ATT 920 ROM yet too) so there's no way they could fix a bricked 920 in store right now.

So with this new one I have, which is performing a lot better than my old one, I'll hold off system restoring it, at least until I could confirm that AT&T could flash it in store, since replacement 920's are so hard to find right now.

EDIT : Just tested an install. The Nokia Care Suite will actually run with VC++ 2010 Redistributable x86 so it will run in 32 bit Windows 7.
    Last edited by Frantics; 11-19-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added info

Same problem here, birck after a hard reset.
    From Nokia: If your Nokia Lumia 920 is still frozen, switch the power Off. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen. Then input Keys in the following order:
    a. Volume up
    b. Volume down
    c. Power
    d. Volume down

This worked for me but it will FACTORY RESET your phone...

So how exactly do you "switch it off" when it's stuck at the Nokia logo?
    i cant get it off....
    all i get is a screen showing me a battery and a blinking power cord symbol.
    if i reboot the phone holding the volume up, there is a flash an wheel symbol. Bute ich cant get to the exclamation mark.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    Take it back and get an 8x......geez!
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I think some bum units got out in the wild -- the ones "running hot" with bad battery life sound defective.

Mine would shut off on its own when not plugged in. When not plugged in I would get the att logo then a blue screen then it would shut off after about a minute. When plugged in it would never turn off just cycle through att->blue screen-> att...
    if i hold the vol down and pwr, its just looping to boot and vibrate every 3-5 seconds and loops... if i than release i get the battery icon, after 3 seconds the screen goes black. no matter if its plugged in or not, this happens all the time.

The same thing is happening to me (reboots and doesn't get past Nokia logo). I'm going to take it in to get it replaced. I don't see any hope for saving it now.
    I wrote to Nokia... lets see what happens...

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    Now that I'm home for lunch from work, I tried this and holding the volume down and power buttons brings up the ATT logo screen and then just goes through and endless loop of that as long as I hold those buttons down.
    Yeah this is the same result I'm getting. As long as I continue to hold the Volume Down and Power buttons, it simply loops through the AT&T Logo. The moment I let go, it just proceeds to boot up normally. I can't seem to trigger the hard reset feature.

Well here my story, had my cyan 920 and was in the car using Nokia drive while listing to Xbox music, after I arrived at the destination, I paused the music and made a phone call. Then my phone got stuck in an endless loop of the music controls on the screen. If I using the back button to exit out, it would just keep exiting Xbox music indefinitely. Volume got reset to zero, and it couldn't get adjusted and the power key did not work. I tried doing a soft reset but it wouldn't work. I tried a hard reset, nothing. The home key functioned so I use the settings to do a reset. That bricked the phone. Endless loop of the AT&T logo and off. If I kept doing the hard reset keys and was plugged in it would then get to the exclamation point. Then I tried the is reset keys, volume up, down, power, down and nothing. But if it tried the hard reset again I got to the spinning gears. I then tried to do a restore and had the same problem I originally had, no volume,music controls on top of screen, back button and power button don't work. So I repeated the whole process, and did not do a restore but a clean reset, and same issue. I'm stuck with a phone I can't use. I'm headed to the AT&T store now...
    I tried to restore my phone so that I can return it (to buy the cyan from the MS store with protection plan) and I had the same thing happen...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast