Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Hi guys,

I've just sold my S3 this morning. I'm torn between the S3 LTE and the 920. The only thing stopping me from buying the 920 is the IE web browser. I've played around with it and I'm not too fond of it. Is google chrome or firefox available to download on the windows 8 mobile platform?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts
    Nope. If you're worried about Chrome, stay with Android.

I use it on my iPhone and GS3, but in all honesty, IE performs pretty darn well. Haven't run side by side tests yet, but if I was limited to IE, I wouldn't mind.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
    Thanked by:
    johndoee1 and jason920 like this.
    When is Google Chrome coming to WP8 >.<
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post
    When is Google Chrome coming to WP8 >.<
    I can almost say with certainty... never or not in the near future. once WP gets the same amount of marketshare or close to apple... then maybe.

There are replacement browsers in the marketplace.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    I'm no fan of IE on my PC but, I got to say I don't mind it all on the 920.
    technostein and jojapath like this.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I Unquello and jojapath like this.

Although this may never happen, Google has at least been acknowledged the request on the Chrome Issues tracker. If you want to see Chrome ported you can star the issue here. No need to leave a comment on there unless you have some technical contribution, otherwise just star the issue (icon to the left of the issue title).

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'd rather see boat browser.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Chrome isn't really that good on android either. But IE could definitely be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe920 View Post
    Although this may never happen, Google has at least been acknowledged the request on the Chrome Issues tracker. If you want to see Chrome ported you can star the issue here. No need to leave a comment on there unless you have some technical contribution, otherwise just star the issue (icon to the left of the issue title).
    Just starred it - #36 to do so which doesn't give me a huge amount of hope, but every little bit counts, right?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
    I'm no fan of IE on my PC but, I got to say I don't mind it all on the 920.
    I'm the other way around. IE9 on the PC is just great. But IE9 and IE10 on Windows Phone just feel kind of gimped compared with every other smartphone browser I've used.

I don't care if we get Chrome or Firefox or Opera (hopefully all three) but I really need a non-IE based browser with a proper back button and regular browser features which is compatible with 99% of websites. I really don't want to hold my breath waiting for everyone to update their webpages to work properly with IE mobile (it will probably take 5 years if it even happens).

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with my phone honestly. It's not a big one, no deal breaker, but it's a source of annoyance at least several times a week when I go to a site and some element, like a drop down menu etc, doesn't work properly when it works just fine on an iPhone ore Android.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaphx View Post
    IE based. The UI is modified, which is great, but it still won't load pages any better than regular IE mobile.

The browser doesnt work well with this forum, it closes my keyboard after half a second once I press an edit box like the quick reply box.

Other than that, Im pretty damn happy with it, coming from Dolphin and more recently Chrome on the SGS3.

wpcentral app!!!!!
    EngineerTuna likes this.

Surprised that people are finding the loading times somehow not good. Got absolutely no problems with that at all and on the tests it seems to do very good against other top end phones as well.

Though the user interface of IE on WP isn't my favorite. Could be better, but nothing that stops me liking my Lumia 920.
    Thanked by:
    jason920 likes this.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    IE based. The UI is modified, which is great, but it still won't load pages any better than regular IE mobile.
    Yeah, that's true. But i have heard UC browser actually lets you browse and upload images, on upload sites.

Kei: IIRC that costs money, and Im broke for the time being, probably since I bought a ******* Lumia 920, but Ill get the app as soon as I get my handset back from repairs :) .

Its still an issue with the browser though.

I've found web sites that are broken in WP8 IE10 are just as broken in the desktop version. Most of the IE10 issues I encounter are scripting related. However, that makes many modern web sites almost unusable when it's an issue.

if chrome ever comes to wp8 I'll be a happy camper. Until then, IE10 will be fine.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    For better or worse web pages rendered "correctly" more of the time on Android than on Windows Phone. Some sites are not mobile-friendly and without root access to block ads and disable various elements you could potentially tax less capable devices. I know in the age of dual and quad-core devices this is less of an issue, but early on I would watch phones choke pulling up pages. The browser on Windows Phone works for me. Do I wish it would wrap text more regularly? Yes. Because that piece is inconsistent I only browse a particular set of sites from my phone. My health insurance site uses flash, so I cannot pull up more than the mobile version that tells me how to find a local doctor in my area.

I would prefer Firefox, settle for Opera and I could live without Chrome. Until Windows Phone has a larger marketshare we get what we got and that's the long and short of it.

There is no way to "Forward" on IE 10, extremely disappointing

Also, chrome on android isn't even that good either, I prefer the stock browser, the quick access toolbar is amazing.

I don't think we'll ever see Chrome on WP8. Chrome on iOS isn't really even Chrome at all although it is nice having the sync capability with the desktop version and sharing of bookmarks.

I don't really miss "forward" I can't really remember the last time I used it. it's two clicks to see the recent browsing history.

I'm using Google Chrome on my home Windows 8 desktop PC, on my Windows 8 tablet, on my work XP ****ty computer. So I want to use it on my Windows Phone 8 as well. All my passwords, bookmarks are in sync. IE performs well on Windows Phone 8. But IE overall has tons of features missing. Microsoft has to improve IE to make me or other users switch, or let/ask Google to make Chrome available on WP8. Or make a Chrome browser just like they made a half-official (made by Microsoft, approved by Google) YouTube app.

It could be a win-win situation for both companies. Microsoft could gain users from iOS and Android to their phone platform, Google could get new users to switch on their desktop computers to Chrome, because of its nice features.

I'm also missing an official Gmail app, but that's another topic...

Another great example how users will suck, because of two giant companies' war...

By the way Chrome based on the open source Chromium project, so some devs should start developing a Chrome clone, which works with our Google account. I even pay for an app like this...

I am not optimistic at the availability of Chrome on WP. Apparently, Google is trying its best to kill Windows Phone before WP becomes a threat to Android. The Youtube app is the best proof. Official YouTube Windows Phone app confirmed as being blocked by Google | Windows Phone Central

If you cannot live without the bookmark and password saved at Google, you may not be able to use WP. But it is worth a try on a WP device to see whether to retrieve those personal information from Google is that important when you use your cellphone. I enjoy using Chrome on Windows, but don't find any trouble brought by IE when I use WP.
    Nokia Lumia 920 Black
    Since Nov. 13, 2012

But there's the open source Chromium. A group of developers could create a Chrome-clone app, based on Chromium.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast