Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 150
Like Tree24Likes
  1. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    #76  
    accounting for network overhead and congested towers, if you pull 6Mb down on ATT HSPA+ that's pretty much maxed out since they only went with HSPA 21. People with T-Mo SIMs see about 12 or so on their HSPA 42 network.
  2. kmcochran's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #77  
    Just popped in the Straight Talk sim card into our black Lumia 920. I put all the settings in and the phone seems to be working. I sent an MMS message to it and it got there. Is the only thing that shows in the status bar, the #of bars of signal and 4G, wifi and battery? Does no carrier show? I was hoping for better reception at my house (the AT&T map shows better reception). Also, is there no roaming with the unlimited ST plan? We're totally new to ST, coming from Sprint.
  3. jordanjs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #78  
    Hey guys, more positive feedback from StraightTalk users would be helpful. I'm currently a T-Mobile customer, but have been eyeing the AT&T (USA) L920 for a few days now. I am going to try to somehow snag a red one from att.com for $450. Maybe if I talk to someone on Live Chat, they can tell me if I can cancel my plan right away before charging me an activation fee and the first month of a plan. I really dislike how the site forces you to choose a plan, even for an off-contract phone.

    Anyway, in the event that I succeed in acquiring the phone I want, in the color (and price) that I want, I still need to switch to StraightTalk. I'm kind of nervous about network coverage compared to T-Mobile, and of course the data throttling. T-Mobile is extremely reliable for me- it's also cheaper. I'm only paying $30 monthly, but that's with 100 minutes voice (not unlimited). I don't talk that much, so that's perfect for me. Anyway, I'd be paying $15 more a month, just for this phone... but it might be worth it.

    If anyone has any helpful advice, please do chime in. Thanks!
  4. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    #79  
    you have better coverage than T-mo.
  5. csudvm2003's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #80  
    Hi guys,

    I just made the switch from Sprint/android to my 920 and I'm loving it. I set up Straight Talk last night and it is working great so far. The apn setup was definitely easier thanks to this forum!

    One question, does anyone know how to set the time/rings before switching over to voicemail? I have google voice transcribing messages from this number, and I want to make sure GV picks up and not my Straight Talk box.

    Thanks!
  6. #81  
    Net10 settings that i have working on my lumia 920. Text messages work but i haven't been able to send pictures messages from the messaging app. I have tried all the possibles gateways and different APN but still can't send pictures. Text , data and call works with no issues.

    Data Apn settings
    Apn- wap.tracfone
    username-Net10
    password-leave blank
    proxy server (url)-leave blank
    proxy port-leave blank

    MMS settings
    Apn- wap.tracfone
    username-Net10
    password-leave blank
    WAP gateway(url)- proxy.mvno.tracfone.com or 66.209.11.33 or 216.155.165.40
    WAP gateway port-80
    MMSC (url)http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMSC port-80
    Maximum MMS size-leave blank


    Update- 66.209.11.32 make the picture messages work
    Last edited by Alex Rodriguez; 12-19-2012 at 11:47 PM.
  7. jordanjs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    you have better coverage than T-mo.
    Does anyone else agree with him? Would be awesome if everyone thought so...
  8. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by usstuscon12 View Post
    You need the international version of the Lumia 920 and not an AT&T one to have tethering to work. Even if it is unlocked, the ROM is still from AT&T and it will still not work.

    I used ST on my 900, and the moment you start doing YouTube or any sort of streaming, they will throttle you down to Edge speeds and it will be like that until the next month when your plan restarts, even though it says "4G".
    I've never been throttled even after a couple hours of Pandora (radio controlled app)
  9. AldehydeTao's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanjs View Post
    Does anyone else agree with him? Would be awesome if everyone thought so...
    I would say T-mo has the worst coverage in US...
  10. MDak280's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanjs View Post
    Hey guys, more positive feedback from StraightTalk users would be helpful. I'm currently a T-Mobile customer, but have been eyeing the AT&T (USA) L920 for a few days now. I am going to try to somehow snag a red one from att.com for $450. Maybe if I talk to someone on Live Chat, they can tell me if I can cancel my plan right away before charging me an activation fee and the first month of a plan. I really dislike how the site forces you to choose a plan, even for an off-contract phone.

    Anyway, in the event that I succeed in acquiring the phone I want, in the color (and price) that I want, I still need to switch to StraightTalk. I'm kind of nervous about network coverage compared to T-Mobile, and of course the data throttling. T-Mobile is extremely reliable for me- it's also cheaper. I'm only paying $30 monthly, but that's with 100 minutes voice (not unlimited). I don't talk that much, so that's perfect for me. Anyway, I'd be paying $15 more a month, just for this phone... but it might be worth it.

    If anyone has any helpful advice, please do chime in. Thanks!
    I think if you buy the phone from amazon, then you don't have to select a plan or pay an activation fee. So that would probably be better than buying from AT&T.

    As for coverage, if Straight Talk uses AT&T's bands then you'll probably have better coverage than you do with T-Mobile, or at least the same amount of coverage.
  11. kenstervf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #86  
    I've been using Straight Talk (T-mobile compatible SIM) on HTC Amaze 4G. Now, switched to Straight Talk (At&t compatible SIM) using my Lumia 920. I have noticed that T-mobile has better coverage than AT&T. I get more signal bars with T-mobile. I'm in Southern California.
  12. AestheticAlex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #87  
    I just got my phone. I set up the MMS and it works perfectly. Do I use the same APN for internet APN that I used for the MMS APN?
  13. phonegeeks's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #88  
    Straight talk seems to be working just fine with my lumia 920. I got mine last week from gsm nation and I used their "APN finder" tool for my APN settings.
  14. km99's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #89  
    Move from ATT to StraightTalk and is working really well. Just remember to delete the existing MMS settings for it to work correctly. I entered the settings without deleting first and it didn't work.
    I have been with ATT forever now so I was a little nervous and I didn't want to port my number without some real life experience. Just popped in the sim and tried the service for a week to get a feel for it. Needless to say the service was exactly the same as ATT (except for the lack of LTE, but the price justifies that). The only missing feature was visual voice mail but I hear there are some alternatives to it.
    Overall, I am very happy with ST and will be saving a lot of money for the same service/coverage. In fact, I ordered another sim for my wife as we both want to move away from burning our money with ATT. Now if I only can get my yellow 920 shipped!!!!
  15. S_C_B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #90  
    StraightTalk works great with my 920.
  16. expanda's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #91  
    Having trouble with my att branded 920 on straight talk getting mms to work. I've deleted the old one and tried every suggested way here. No go. Also how do you turn off 4g? Thought I might as well save any battery I can. Thank you
  17. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by phonegeeks View Post
    Straight talk seems to be working just fine with my lumia 920. I got mine last week from gsm nation and I used their "APN finder" tool for my APN settings.
    so how do you have your mms setup?
  18. #93  
    I also had problems configuring MMS. As it turned out my problem was with the internet settings which were causing MMS not work, not MMS settings. I have a locked Lumia 920 (yellow) purchased from att.com. Initially, I activated the phone with AT&T, then became aware of Straight Talk. Thanks to participants in the forum, I configured the phone with minimum hastle. My problem was peculiar in that when internet was configured, MMS would not work, but when internet was turned off, MMS worked. My problem resulted from incorrect settings for internet. To make everything work for me I did the following:
    1. Settings > cellular > edit internet apn
    First, delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
    Enter the following:
    APN = att.mvno
    Leave all other settings blank.
    Now, save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen
    2. edit mms apn
    Delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
    Enter the following (per z06tim)
    APN = att.mvno
    User name = blank
    Password = blank
    WAP gateway (URL) = 66.209.11.33
    WAP gateway port = 80
    MMSC (URL) = http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMSC port = 80
    Maximum MMS size = blank
    Save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen.
    Finally, reboot. I hope this helps.
  19. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,901 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,031 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanjs View Post
    Does anyone else agree with him? Would be awesome if everyone thought so...
    AT&T has more coverage. You can go here: CellReception.com put your zipcode in and it will show you the number of towers mapped out for each carrier.
    Last edited by palandri; 12-12-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  20. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #95  
    I am considering Straight Talk (will probably forego getting a 920 for the moment and use my Focus or buy a Focus 2 on eBay). Do they charge additional fees on top of the $45?
    palandri likes this.
  21. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,901 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,031 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    I am considering Straight Talk (will probably forego getting a 920 for the moment and use my Focus or buy a Focus 2 on eBay). Do they charge additional fees on top of the $45?
    Just local tax as far I know. I've never heard anyone mention additional fees.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:
  22. yodies's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    #97  
    This is correct, just taxes. I bought a year for $495 ($41.25/mo!) and it was $538 total after taxes.
    Thanked by:
  23. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    This is correct, just taxes. I bought a year for $495 ($41.25/mo!) and it was $538 total after taxes.
    That's cool that you can buy a year of service in advance, although I don't think I'd do that.
  24. #99  
    This is a fantastic thread and should probably be stickied. If anyone knows how to go about that, i'm sure it would be appreciated by all.

    I have a question for Net10 users: on their site, they say they support GSM (AT&T, Tmo) and CDMA(Sprint) respectively. How does one bring their Sprint phone over? On site, they talk about getting a SIM card. My htc Arrive has no SIM. How does that work? Or is that particular handset just not supported. I was under the impression that most* CDMA phones don't use a SIM.

    Any insight be great.

    Thanks

    -Doc
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

    Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.
  25. ChumsFuture's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Olszewski View Post
    I also had problems configuring MMS. As it turned out my problem was with the internet settings which were causing MMS not work, not MMS settings. I have a locked Lumia 920 (yellow) purchased from att.com. Initially, I activated the phone with AT&T, then became aware of Straight Talk. Thanks to participants in the forum, I configured the phone with minimum hastle. My problem was peculiar in that when internet was configured, MMS would not work, but when internet was turned off, MMS worked. My problem resulted from incorrect settings for internet. To make everything work for me I did the following:
    1. Settings > cellular > edit internet apn
    First, delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
    Enter the following:
    APN = att.mvno
    Leave all other settings blank.
    Now, save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen
    2. edit mms apn
    Delete all settings - the trash can at the bottom of the screen on the right.
    Enter the following (per z06tim)
    APN = att.mvno
    User name = blank
    Password = blank
    WAP gateway (URL) = 66.209.11.33
    WAP gateway port = 80
    MMSC (URL) = http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMSC port = 80
    Maximum MMS size = blank
    Save settings – to the left of x at the bottom of the screen.
    Finally, reboot. I hope this helps.
    seamless port from att to ST thanks to this thread and post like this. oh, BTW, i heard t-mobile refarmed my area so i called att and asked for an unlock code. the rep took my imei and told me that this phone was unlock-able and they don't have an ETA.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions