Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    AAWP has posted the first of their multipart review of the Lumia 920.
    The first part is the detailed hardware review,

Check it out here

Nokia Lumia 920 hardware review - All About Windows Phone
    Thanked by:
    riffraffy likes this.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    "But the biggest factor is the way in which the device has been put together. Internally, and unusually for a unibody design, the Lumia 920 has a double frame design (full circuit board frame, and separate metal frame), and the screen assembly effectively acts as a third frame. While this internal design architecture, together with a number of related factors around materials tolerance and component positioning, adds extra weight, it also gives the Lumia 920 exceptional mechanical strength and durability, endowing it with a greater ability to endure drops, bumps, and other shocks (and means you're less likely to need a full protective case, with the added size and weight that this entails)."

Awesome!
    Thanked by:
    vp710 
    paulm187 and alpinestars1z like this.

^they have been doing that triple frame design for a while. The N8 was built the same way.. I think it helps with cooling as well. They really know how to put a phone together.

Also, you won't feel like you are going to brake in half if its in the back pocket of your jeans and you have to sit down.. like most of the other top smartphones, particularly certain Korean products.

Volume is what I care about... 99cc, slightly larger than my 808.. not bad, now my only worry is one handed use, which seems to be a pretty difficult task from all the videos I've seen so far

"Like most of its direct competitors, the Lumia 920 is beyond the boundary of universal one-hand usage, which is generally considered to be devices with a width of 60mm or less."

Spot on.

"However, the UI design of Windows Phone means, notably the presence of the universal back button below the screen and the large target areas when reaching for pivots and panoramas at the top of the screen, is, arguably, more accommodating for one handed usage than both Android and iOS, "

Agreed. iOS sucks in that regard... I still don't know why they have navigational buttons at the top, and at the bottom of the screen.. it worked fine with their older 3.5 inch screen with a more square like aspect ratio, but it doesn't with the 4 inch 16:9 screen.
    Last edited by vlad0; 11-08-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Now, that is a smart, comprehensive, intelligent review.

None of those 'mammoth weight', 'blatantly gigantic' retarded expressions.

It clearly states that is the heaviest of the flagships, but it defends it by saying there are A LOT of things you get with the weight.

Excellent review, in my opinion.
    Silly Putty likes this.

Excellent review IMO. Thanks for the link.

Wow, that review was extremely informative. Lightyears ahead of all the other reviews I've read. Plus, it was not only unbias, but also explained why the phone is heavier. This also helps me understand why there are no 'drop test' videos online yet, the bias reviewers are afraid of the truth = Lumia 920 is the best built phone there is.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    This is the best and the most detailed hardware review of the lumia 920.
    Gizmodo's punk *** review wouldn't even come to 1/5th of this review!
    vp710 and Muessig like this.

i think the review is a little bit too rosy

Quote Originally Posted by chfhyh View Post
    i think the review is a little bit too rosy
    How so?

Global Posts
    3,453 Global Posts
    So do you say it's unbiased due to it being more positive than others?
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    I guess I am a just little nervous about so many positive words.

Anyway, I will be at AT&T store at 9am to pick up a White 920 and find out myself.

Rafe and Steve have been covering Nokia for a long, long time ... they are great guys and know what they are talking about, unlike most of the "big" blogs..

He made points I've been making all along.. especially about the weight issue. Nokia didn't just add weight to it for fun, there are very good reasons for it.

btw.. the screen on this thing is brilliant!
    theefman and jmajid like this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Nope!
    They say its a heavy phone, but they don't slam down on it, but explain how and why and the would be benefits.

Most of the other reviews just mentioned some of the features in passing, but every damn feature is explained and most have videos showing how it worked.

I wouldn't call it bias. I would call it thorough. So the reader can be the judge for themselves!

There were plenty of positive reviews aside from this one. This however is by far the most detailed, comprehensive, and informative.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    very detailed review of the phone

i'd still like to see a drop test

All we need now is GSMarena and anandtech .. I really wouldn't even bother reading the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ky Phan View Post
    drop test
    The only reason I might be interested in this is because I want to see if the glass can handle the overall weight of the phone. The chassis itself is obviously very strong, but the weight it carries won't help the glass on impact..

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you write a review. Bravo!

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    All we need now is GSMarena and anandtech .. I really wouldn't even bother reading the rest of them.

The only reason I might be interested in this is because I want to see if the glass can handle the overall weight of the phone. The chassis itself is obviously very strong, but the weight it carries won't help the glass on impact..
    what if the glass detaches itself from the unibody?

And you can just pop the screen back on

LOL
    mister2d likes this.

Positive words don't mean a bias review. What is bias or useless is when reviewers say, "Heavier than a brick" and then give zero explanation as to why or how it compares to real-world usage.

The AAWP review focused on what IS in the phone, why it's good or bad, how it compares to previous smartphones, etc. It's just giving facts with a little bit of enthusiasm (and rightly so, considering what's all in the phone).

I even saw one of the official (and very bias) reviews spend the whole time talking about how great the phone is, only to conclude in the final paragraph that the phone was terrible to use, not worth the buy, and that no one would enjoy it as a smartphone. And that was coming from a well known review website!
    theefman, mister2d and Muessig like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ky Phan View Post
    what if the glass detaches itself from the unibody?

And you can just pop the screen back on

LOL
    hah ... that is actually not a bad idea, kind of like those battery convers used to fly off...

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I was just reading the review, havnt fully read it all yet.
    As noted though, this is just the first part of a multipart review.
    I do expect a similar thoroughness to the other parts also, especially the camera review.

Rafe, Steve and the others have established a a couple of very well respected sites. Their podcasts are well worth listening to, not just constant arguing as you may get in other sites.
    The AAWP site has been one of the sites I frequent for well written news and reviews around WP
    Residing and tissotti like this.

Global Posts
    3,453 Global Posts
    Blah, heavier than a brick isn't bias. And of course EVERYONE knows its a joke. What makes you think someone would care why its heavy. Heavy is heavy.

Explaining to me why a TV remote have 190 buttons doesn't change the fact that it has 190 buttons.

Of course it's heavy and thick. Nokia isn't known for make phones with slim profiles. I don't recall ever seeing a smartphone from then that was thin and light. That's not their strong point.

Global Posts
    3,453 Global Posts
    Why so nervous?
    Quote Originally Posted by chfhyh View Post
    I guess I am a just little nervous about so many positive words.

Anyway, I will be at AT&T store at 9am to pick up a White 920 and find out myself.

Blah, heavier than a brick isn't bias. And of course EVERYONE knows its a joke. What makes you think someone would care why its heavy. Heavy is heavy.

Explaining to me why a TV remote have 190 buttons doesn't change the fact that it has 190 buttons.

Of course it's heavy and thick. Nokia isn't known for make phones with slim profiles. I don't recall ever seeing a smartphone from then that was thin and light. That's not their strong point.
    Joke enough to dock points in reviews?

Also, heavy is *very* subjective.

Global Posts
    3,453 Global Posts
    Heavy is also relative, and for cell phone weight going by today's standards, its heavy.

I have yet to see a review from a non-fan site saying it wasn't heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    Joke enough to dock points in reviews?

Also, heavy is *very* subjective.
    LOL, if that's not a bias review, then BGR are really WP7 fans and hate the iPhone.
    Last edited by 1jaxstate1; 11-09-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast