Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By negrielectronics
  1. Yang_H's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
       #1  
    Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 (AT&T) (Cyan)

    I simply don't get this. Many people already reported that AT&T only charges $449 for their off-contract 920, then how could possibly the online store Negri asks $130 more for the same phone? Who would be stupid enough to buy from them instead of directly from AT&T?

    Or, someone can tell me that there are actually some differences betwen Negri's AT&T 920 and AT&T's 920?

    These whole unlocked/off-contract/carrier-locked things are still confusing to me. I'm holding a Galaxy Note II right now (gorgeous phone, too bad it doesn't run WP8!) but I still want to buy a sim-free 920 for the best price I can find.
  2. #2  
    This likely has everything to do with the exclusivity agreement in the USA between Nokia and AT&T. It's the same price to by the lumia off contract as it is to get an iPhone 5 (16GB) with an early upgrade. For those yearly refreshers (and there are a lot of them), this might get them to grab it as there is no risk of them entering a contract if they don't like the phone.
  3. Residing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    This likely has everything to do with the exclusivity agreement in the USA between Nokia and AT&T. It's the same price to by the lumia off contract as it is to get an iPhone 5 (16GB) with an early upgrade. For those yearly refreshers (and there are a lot of them), this might get them to grab it as there is no risk of them entering a contract if they don't like the phone.
    But the Negri Lumia is locked to ATT...they are charging $130 more for the exact same, locked to ATT, phone that ATT sells.

    I think only someone uninformed would purchase this from Negri; or perhaps Negri is able to ship internationally and is padding the the price to cover shipping?
  4. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    221 Posts
    #4  
    negri phone is locked to ATT?

    It is locked to whatever networks it has antennas for... but that's a hardware limitation.
  5. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    #5  
    It's for international orders.
  6. #6  
    oh my...
    me: hi! about SKU: NOKL920ATTCYAN is it locked to at&t or i'll be able to use it on t-mobile network?
    Just a moment...
    We are sincerely sorry for the delay. We're working on getting to you as quickly as possible. If you need to run, please feel free to leave us a message

    Anthony - NegriCare:
    Hello there, The AT&T Lumia 920 units are not unlocked and can only be used on the AT&T network.
    Any unit that is unlocked on the site will have the (Unlocked) tag in its product title.
    me: ok, thank you very much!
  7. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    933 Posts
    #7  
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would you even order from anywhere else, only to have to deal with unlocking it when you get it, wherever you are.

    You are better off ordering one from ebay, a rogers unit, or one of those dev kit ones.. but they are going for over $800 for some reason.
  8. Yang_H's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
       #8  
    I guess for international orders it makes sense.

    See if I get this right:

    1. You can buy an AT&T off-contract 920 for $449 from AT&T.

    2. You'll have to choose a plan along with the purchase.

    3. Once you receive the phone you can request from AT&T a code for unlocking the phone while never activate the plan (hence paying nothing for it).

    4. The AT&T unlocked 920 still is *LOCKED* to AT&T network, so only sim cards from AT&T or their network resellers like Straight Talk will work.

    5. However, it is likely someone will soon crack the code to completely unlock the AT&T 920 so you can use it for any GSM network, US or international. I understand you could have to pay sth like $30 for the unlocking code.

    So the total cost is $449 + $30 true unlocking fee = $479 for a 920. If this is true then still $479 is a terrific price for a complete unlocked Lumia 920

    Am I missing or mistaking anything here?
  9. yodies's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    #9  
    I bid on a dev phone last night on eBay. It sold today for $1,100... (not to me) $800 is the starting bid on these bad boys.
  10. spincel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    I bid on a dev phone last night on eBay. It sold today for $1,100... (not to me) $800 is the starting bid on these bad boys.
    Some dev phones are really cheap as starting, but it will get much expensive near the end of the auction.
  11. negrielectronics's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #11  
    We wanted to address your concerns here. The price has not been updated since the device was announced. Please see our pre-order policies: Negri Electronics Customer & Store Policies

    If the price is lower at release you will only be charged that price. However, it's very difficult to charge MORE than the price, so typically Pre-Orders are set at a higher price so that we do not have to collect more.

    If the price of the AT&T model is what you say it is, our price will be lower than that, and will be updated in the next few days.

    Please do not feel discouraged, or be upset if you see a high price. We manage over 6500 items and it's difficult to know exactly what price to set pre-orders at. This is not meant to "trick" you or take more money that we have earned - it's meant for the reasons highlighted above and in the link provided.

    Sorry about the pricing. We will do what we can to fix this for you.

    - Negri Electronics
    Thanked by:
    palandri and jmajid like this.
  12. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    221 Posts
    #12  
    not to get too much on your case...

    but if you don't know availability, and don't know the price....

    why would you take preorders?

    Its cool that your on this forum trying to explain things, but it still feels weird to me... Not all that different from Best buy I guess. but I think they were dishonest in putting up their preorder when infact they had the price wrong, and did not end up selling phones at release. So many of us bought preorders, only to go through the hassle of canceling when the truth came out.


    To each his own, but that's my 2cents.
  13. Ali Babba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
    not to get too much on your case...

    but if you don't know availability, and don't know the price....

    why would you take preorders?

    Its cool that your on this forum trying to explain things, but it still feels weird to me... Not all that different from Best buy I guess. but I think they were dishonest in putting up their preorder when infact they had the price wrong, and did not end up selling phones at release. So many of us bought preorders, only to go through the hassle of canceling when the truth came out.


    To each his own, but that's my 2cents.
    IMO this is no different than the guys you see on eBay doing the same thing but charging $800. They have no idea on the real price and they are saying it's pre-order. Atleast negri is being transparent about it and offering to sell at the lower price if it it happens.
  14. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    221 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Babba View Post
    IMO this is no different than the guys you see on eBay doing the same thing but charging $800. They have no idea on the real price and they are saying it's pre-order. Atleast negri is being transparent about it and offering to sell at the lower price if it it happens.
    yeah, that is true. I don't mean to be too harsh, because he is being honest.

    but he may want to adjust his policies down the road... something... because I don't think his customers are all the way satisfied with it. Maybe set expectations a little clearer on the site instead of in the fine print.
  15. negrielectronics's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #15  
    Thank you all for your comments.

    The policies are very clear here Negri Electronics Customer & Store Policies

    We are as transparent as possible, but there will always be a very that are dismayed by our actions. So it's best to explain first the reason behind the pre-orders.

    Believe it or not, we receive a lot (a LOT) of Pre-Orders. That's due to the fact that we are always known to have the products first (like the Lumia 920, yesterday https://twitter.com/NegriElectronic/...37987457138688 ) And we do not charge for pre-orders. There is only an authorization on the card for 7 days when you pre-order. We also only charge what the current price at the time of shipping. In fact, yesterday we shipped every Lumia 920 at a loss to fill orders that pre-ordered at a lower price. So there are some benefits of pre-ordering besides getting the item before anyone else. We will always be up front and honest with the prices. And just because we do not know the exact release date and exact price, we are still able to come within a few days/dollars.

    Some do not like Pre-Orders. Others do. If we remove them, we still only make half the people happy - so they stay.

    Any questions about pre-ordering our live support is available during the day (PST) to deliver you answers.

    Thanks again.

    -Negri Electronics
  16. justop26's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    468 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yang_H View Post
    ...
    3. Once you receive the phone you can request from AT&T a code for unlocking the phone while never activate the plan (hence paying nothing for it).

    4. The AT&T unlocked 920 still is *LOCKED* to AT&T network, so only sim cards from AT&T or their network resellers like Straight Talk will work.

    5. However, it is likely someone will soon crack the code to completely unlock the AT&T 920 so you can use it for any GSM network, US or international. I understand you could have to pay sth like $30 for the unlocking code.

    Am I missing or mistaking anything here?
    After getting a code, whether buying it or getting it from AT&T, the phone is UNLOCKED and may work with any GSM carrier that has the radio bands the phone supports.

Posting Permissions

B