Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By keizka
  1. jkrc717's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm comparing the pictures from

    Camera phone comparison; iPhone 5, Note II, HTC 8X, Lumia 920 | ZDNet

    Iphone and Lumia are neck and neck. It's also a matter of opinion.

    Note II looks good. I really do not like HTC at all.

    Day time shots, IPhone wins by a hair over the 920.

    Low light, 920 beats IPhone by two hairs. Reason is because the 920 pics look a little bright.

    Don't bite my head off. This is just my opinion.

    I hope that Nokia fixes this problem because with the hardware the L920 has, it could not just be better, but actually smoke the competition.
  2. chevans920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    #2  
    Nokia is already working on a fix :)
  3. #3  
    Hmm... The 8X's photos look a bit over-saturated to me. The 920's look a little darker than the iPhone 5's. The Note's pictures actually look pretty good.
  4. keizka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #4  
    So... iP5 wins in daylight pictures by hair, but loses in low light pictures by two hairs? How is it then winning? :s
    Duvi, lordofthereef and Calot like this.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    So... iP5 wins in daylight pictures by hair, but loses in low light pictures by two hairs? How is it then winning? :s
    The hairs in the daylight shot were head hairs while the hairs in the ngihtime shot were... nevermind. :P

    At the end of the day, Nokia is the clear winner for me as I prefer to include video and audio into the camera comparison. Frankly I have been unimpressed with the iPhone 5 camera. It's not a whole lot better than the 4S (performs better in low light, but not by enough for me to care... low light pics still aren't good enough IMO to be called great).

    It's going to take me trying the L920 out to see what the difference really is. I already know how pictures that I take turn out with the iPhone 5. I will have to compare them to pictures that I take with the L920 to know which phone takes the better pictures with ME behind the shutter.
  6. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,967 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    So... iP5 wins in daylight pictures by hair, but loses in low light pictures by two hairs? How is it then winning? :s
    I'm confused about that myself.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  7. Adiliyo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,968 Global Posts
    #7  
    the ability to take a really sharp picture is there in the hardware, personally i like the slightly less saturated images the lumia pulls out, and if they can fix the softness with a firmware update like they say then the 920 will have the best camera hands down. plus the OIS and excellent low light ability pushes it over the top.

    personally i haven't been that impressed with the iphone 5's pictures in the actual use i've had with friend's phones.
  8. JUSTQUAN2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    425 Global Posts
    #8  
    To me I just need to see the pictures. I'm not the pro in that area. Heck I just really got my hd going on the tv.
  9. #9  
    I forgot to add that it is dangerous to justify a piece of hardware by saying "a fix is coming". While it may be true, it also may not be. Phone OS updates around the board have been notorious for promising functionality and fixes that some people claim they notice right away and others claim they never noticed. Maybe this had something to do with the extremely strange launch information we got on the phones... although that doesn't explain the other makes and models.

    And don't get me wrong. I am just as hopeful for the camera fix as anyone else out there. But if the phone doesn't take pictures to my satisfaction within the 14 day return period, I will likely take it back and re-buy it once the proper firmware is out and everything is fixed. This way I don't risk locking myself into a contract based on a promise I was made that never came to be.
  10. jkrc717's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    So... iP5 wins in daylight pictures by hair, but loses in low light pictures by two hairs? How is it then winning? :s
    Ya, it technically doesn't make sense.

    Daytime shots out weigh nightime shots for me.

    But like I said its neck and neck.

    I'm sure when they give it some software updates, it won't even be an issue anymore.
  11. jkrc717's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I forgot to add that it is dangerous to justify a piece of hardware by saying "a fix is coming". While it may be true, it also may not be. Phone OS updates around the board have been notorious for promising functionality and fixes that some people claim they notice right away and others claim they never noticed. Maybe this had something to do with the extremely strange launch information we got on the phones... although that doesn't explain the other makes and models.

    And don't get me wrong. I am just as hopeful for the camera fix as anyone else out there. But if the phone doesn't take pictures to my satisfaction within the 14 day return period, I will likely take it back and re-buy it once the proper firmware is out and everything is fixed. This way I don't risk locking myself into a contract based on a promise I was made that never came to be.
    I honestly suspect that the phone just wasn't ready. That's why there were no announcements and Nokia, Microsoft, ATT couldn't give a firm release date.

    I also think they were like screw it. We need to get these things out there and we'll just promise to update them. I mean even Nokia drive is in beta.

    Your point is very true, but the L920's hardware is better. So no matter what, the 920's camera should be better overall.
  12. un hombre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #12  
    I have to say I owned iPhone 5 for 1 week and sold it, because I decided to go for Lumia 920 instead.

    During the time, I made quite a bit of photos with it, and I have to say, that daytime photos, especially with HDR, are very impressive indeed.

    Macro shots are really nice as well, although I noticed, that HDR or not, iPhone had a bit of problems with over-saturated reds.

    Night shots were acceptable, lots of noise but still much better than majority of cameras.

    I have seen many Lumia 920 photos, and while night shots are very nice and impressive as well, day time photos are - like we all now - blurry and lack detail.

    I am not sure if it is Nokia's fault, because HTC's phone lacks detail as well. Maybe it's Windows Phone 8's fault, I don't know, it will be interesting to wait and see how other WP8 phones perform.
  13. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    932 Posts
    #13  
    ^ I wouldn't say its Windows Phone's fault, but more like the OEMs haven't had enough time to optimize their drivers and processing software for it. Apple have their own platform, full control...just like Nokia did with their old platform, and that is a big +.. also, they have like 4-5 years of testing and perfecting their imaging software. Nokia had..one year tops.

    Apple are utilizing the available camera module/optics set in the iphone 5 to the maximum.. its a pretty good achievement. Similar to what Nokia did with their Symbian based camera smartphones.

    If you look in the android realm, its the same thing... there hasn't been one proper camera phone for 5-6 years now, they are all average at best. Even that new Samsung android camera is mediocre..

    The camera isn't just about day time quality photos, we need a proper 1v1 test of day light, sunset/sunrise, portrait, low light no flash, low light flash, low light flash bar scene, flash group/portrait shot.

    Also, having a camera button is a HUGE plus.

    Also, we need a audio/video recording test between the two.

    Also, 920 uses true 16:9 aspect ratio for both pictures and video, which is way wider than the iPhone 5.

    Once that is done, we can see which camera package offers more to the end user, overall.
    Last edited by vlad0; 11-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.
  14. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrc717 View Post
    I honestly suspect that the phone just wasn't ready. That's why there were no announcements and Nokia, Microsoft, ATT couldn't give a firm release date.

    I also think they were like screw it. We need to get these things out there and we'll just promise to update them. I mean even Nokia drive is in beta.

    Your point is very true, but the L920's hardware is better. So no matter what, the 920's camera should be better overall.
    +1 same thing with the surface technically. They wanted to push it out asap, learning from (dare I say this?!?!) apple. Just get it out there and then push out updates, apps, and more.
  15. chrgeorgeson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    ^ I wouldn't say its Windows Phone's fault, but more like the OEMs haven't had enough time to optimize their drivers and processing software for it. Apple have their own platform, full control...just like Nokia did with their old platform, and that is a big +.. also, they have like 4-5 years of testing and perfecting their imaging software. Nokia had..one year tops.

    Apple are utilizing the available camera module/optics set in the iphone 5 to the maximum.. its a pretty good achievement. Similar to what Nokia did with their Symbian based camera smartphones.

    If you look in the android realm, its the same thing... there hasn't been one proper camera phone for 5-6 years now, they are all average at best. Even that new Samsung android camera is mediocre..

    The camera isn't just about day time quality photos, we need a proper 1v1 test of day light, sunset/sunrise, portrait, low light no flash, low light flash, low light flash bar scene, flash group/portrait shot.

    Also, having a camera button is a HUGE plus.

    Also, we need a audio/video recording test between the two.

    Also, 920 uses true 16:9 aspect ratio for both pictures and video, which is way wider than the iPhone 5.

    Once that is done, we can see which camera package offers more to the end user, overall.
    You keep saying that they had a year to test this stuff out. MS and Nokia have been in bed with each other for over 18 months. You bet that MS gave them the earliest builds of WP8 so they could test it out, and they even had people from MS go to Nokia to work with them on this hardware.
    I'm not saying that makes it any better or easier for Nokia to develop for WP8 but I can tell you that your average customer isn't going to care if the 'potential' is there in the Lumia 920 they just want the awesome camera to be great out of the box.
    The day time pictures I've seen with these review units haven't been exactly stellar.

    I'm not saying this to start a fight but Nokia really needs to step it up. Simple as that.
  16. Necroscope's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrc717 View Post
    I'm comparing the pictures from

    Don't bite my head off. This is just my opinion.
    Hard not to. I was all, like, 'hmm, not a lot of difference' through the daylight pictures. Then I got to the leaf on the curb. The 920 really popped on that one, maybe a little too much. Then I got to the waterfront and thought, 'the 920 didn't do so well with this one, too dark'. Then the pictures in low light, holy crap! The others should not even be called cameras compared to the 920. Two hairs?? The iPhone pics are the only other ones I would not immeadiatly delete. After seeing the 920's performance in low light, I would not keep the iPhone ones either.
  17. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #17  
    OK, FIRST Off, he has the Seattle Waterfront pictures for the Lumia 920 and HTC 8x Swapped. You need to save those photos to your drive, bring them up, then check out the properties (exif data) and you will see which phone really took those pictures (For the Seattle Waterfront only.)
    Last edited by mikewp; 11-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Thanked by:
  18. keizka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #18  
    We're still talking about a complete change of developing environment here. HTC has been doing this with WinMo/WinPho far longer than Nokia. Sure, Nokia needs to step it up. That still doesn't excuse HTC and slightly lackluster camera performance on 8X.
  19. Necroscope's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewp View Post
    OK, FIRST Off, he has is Seattle Waterfront pictures for the Lumia 920 and HTC 8x Swapped. You need to save those photos to your drive, bring them up, then check out the properties (exif data) and you will see which phone really took those pictures (For the Seattle Waterfront only.)

    I honestly was thinking that base on the pictures, then thought maybe it was getting dark when he was taking the pictures. Then I saw the low light snaps and couldn't believe the same camera took those as took the waterfront pic.
  20. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #20  
    Second, ya, it seems that Nokia has some work to do to get the best of the hardware. There in camera processing just seems to aggressive

    Third. Still, all the daytime shots would suffice for what just about everyone uses them for... Showing off a moment either on their phone, blog, FB, etc. Lowlight and Video with OIS is where the Nokia phone shines.
  21. mikewp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    I honestly was thinking that base on the pictures, then thought maybe it was getting dark when he was taking the pictures. Then I saw the low light snaps and couldn't believe the same camera took those as took the waterfront pic.
    Ya, I was just saving off the iPhone and Lumia photos and comparing Exif data. Was really surprised the Seattle Waterfront pic was so dark. Properties showed it was the 8x. Saved off the 8x photo it it was really the Lumia.

    Point being. Unless you can view the Exif data, you don't know if the crappy pictures the sites are showing are really coming out of the Lumia. And actually... that's kind of false too. You can easily edit the Exif data.
  22. sinistar25's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #22  
    iphone5=day phone
    920=night phone
  23. Oktay Gardener's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #23  
    Flop thread. You clearly need to get your eyes checked.

    Also, that you prefer 4:3 over 16:9 is just... Simple bias. #Dismissed

  24. ilifecomputer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #24  
    from almost every review I have seen with comparison shots it does look like the iphone5 has a better camera overall. it's also a great phone.

    that said and considering its irrelevance to my lack of phone photography in situations where I would take a good dedicated camera, I can't wait until my lumia gets to me!!!! Monday according to fedex.
  25. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    932 Posts
    #25  
    ^ to have the ability to shoot in 16:9 is great.. and it will be the preferred aspect ratio for most user cases. The good thing about it is that you can always go back to a 4:3 .. its a matter of them including the setting, which is present on Nokia's previous camera phones.

    Here:



    You can switch between those two modes ...

    This is why the sensor in the 920 is 8.7Mpix and not just 8 .. that extra .7 is there to accommodate for the 16:9, no other OEM does this.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrgeorgeson View Post
    I'm not saying this to start a fight but Nokia really needs to step it up. Simple as that.
    I agree with you... I am just trying to make sense of it all. We don't have enough information to base any credible statement really. It just not "nokia like" to label a smartphone a "cameraphone" and not deliver, so there is a problem somewhere, and I don't know where that is.. its probably bunch of stuff.

    And, its not just Nokia.. Microsoft need to step it up as well because right now their OS doesn't support the available Nokia technology, or at least that appears to be the case..

Posting Permissions

B