Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

hi there,
    I checked out the 920 in my local techstore today. Gorgeous device for sure, but wenn I plugged in the charging cable (which was also pretty loose, but I'll chalk that up to the cable) and the phone vibrated shortly I could clearly hear the motor inside rattling, as though it wasn't properly fastened to the device's innards.

does anybody else has this? I'm quite concerned by it because as little of an issue this is, I absolutely detest the sound that it produces. It makes the whole device seem badly built in my eyes.

Global Posts
    1,493 Global Posts
    some of the 900's did this as well

Vibration on the Lumia 920 sounds kinda awkward because of the lense floating in water.

Quote Originally Posted by ecsil View Post
    Vibration on the Lumia 920 sounds kinda awkward because of the lense floating in water.
    I'm pretty sure it's springs, not water.

Quote Originally Posted by ecsil View Post
    what? that's not even true
    Sonofdex likes this.

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    The first Lumia, and it sounds like this one :( , use a rotational vibrator rather than a linear one. It's unfortunate, linear is so much smoother.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    It is a hardcore phone for tough guys, so it has to rattle! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by corsica View Post
    hi there,
    I checked out the 920 in my local techstore today. Gorgeous device for sure, but wenn I plugged in the charging cable (which was also pretty loose, but I'll chalk that up to the cable) and the phone vibrated shortly I could clearly hear the motor inside rattling, as though it wasn't properly fastened to the device's innards.

does anybody else has this? I'm quite concerned by it because as little of an issue this is, I absolutely detest the sound that it produces. It makes the whole device seem badly built in my eyes.
    May I ask where you're located? You're lucky you have it in stores already.

Quote Originally Posted by hasasimo View Post
    May I ask where you're located? You're lucky you have it in stores already.
    Small-ish city in Germany, Siegen. I was actually surprised they already had it in store, too. Normally they aren't that fast with newly released tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Doesnt really matter. Im pretty sure its the lense that makes the noise, since i heard it from one guy from nokia in one video.

@Corsica :) Uh Siegen is quite close to me ;) Bonn

Yea, mine also has this weird sounding vibration. I think all of them do. Nothing to do I guess.

Just to complete this thread.

Have mine from Oldenburg, Germany... and it is rattling too. :@ Trying to contact Nokia at the Moment, because of this behavior.

It lets me get a feeling of a cheap production for this awesome phone.

Greetings,

Andre

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Same here in Canada rattle as bad as 900 if not worse.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    My 900 has this same issue. I]

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Ugh, I was really hoping this would be fixed. I hated this in my 900. It may sway my decision to look elsewhere. It's almost like nails on a chalkboard.

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the vibration sound/feel of my Lumia 900. I like that it's loud and distinct, since I never use a ringtone anyway.

Global Posts
    1,493 Global Posts
    btw, not all 900s have the same vibrate sound. I had two blacks and a white, one of the blacks and the white both had the loud, rattle vibrate; my current black has the normal, non-rattle vibrate.

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    PhilR8 likes this.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    Thanks for the link, but that has nothing to do with the Lumia 920. I could really care less about the iPhone.
    Muessig likes this.

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethere View Post
    Thanks for the link, but that has nothing to do with the Lumia 920. I could really care less about the iPhone.
    While it is about the iphone, it also provides some context regarding different types of vibration motors that are found in mobile devices, why they are chosen, and what that means for everyday use. It doesn't explicitly mention the Lumia 920 but it is germane to this discussion.

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethere View Post
    It has plenty to do with the Lumia. The link describes the two type of vibration motors manufacturers use in cell phones today. One is much harsher than the other and people may not be familiar with it.
    PhilR8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    It has plenty to do with the Lumia. The link describes the two type of vibration motors manufacturers use in cell phones today. One is much harsher than the other and people may not be familiar with it.
    still, according to that article, the iPhone4 had the same type of vibration motor as the 5, and it did absolutley not sound anything like what came out of that Lumia at my store.

My 3 year old feature phone also has the standard rotational vibration motor, and it doesn't sound like that either. And that's technology from 3 years ago.

I still want to get a Lumia 920, and I most definitely will, but if it sounds anything like what I've describes, it'll go straight back to Amazon. I'd rather wait even longer (perhaps on the next-gen Lumias or the Surface phone) or maybe see If Android or iOS (under Ive on UI design) become better than to own a phone that makes me cringe every time I get a text.

It's the little things that count, too.
    Last edited by corsica; 11-08-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Bought a 920 today and it made a horrible racket when vibrating, which sounds super cheap and is embarrassing when in a meeting. Returned the phone.

I downloaded an app called "vibeMassage FREE" to test the vibration. The vibration is fine if prolonged, but if the vibration is short or has a staggered pattern, there is a weird noise at the beginning of the vibration after each vibration.

The app has several patterns to try out. The one called "Skippy" displays the problem best.

Perhaps a fix can be to instead of powering up the vibrating motor to full speed in milliseconds, fade in the vibration to a full second or so and make the vibration last another second to avoid the start-up rattle.
    sudakoma likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast