Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

This is probably a little bit early to discuss, but Qi-compatible charging pads already exist and are available online. Amazon has the Powermat 2x (with two spots for charging) for only $20 (including shipping). There's a more expensive Energizer mat that has two spots plus a port for USB charging for around $60.

Supposedly since these use the Qi standard, they should work. This will be my first Qi-charging device that I buy, but does anyone else have existing pads they can test with the 920 to verify charging is simple?

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    Amazon.com: Duracell Powermat CSA4B1 24-Hour Power System for iPhone 4/4s - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Do you know if this one uses Qi? If so I will buy it today and try it out with my 920.

I asked PowerMat they said they don't support Qi Standard...

"None of the Powermat or Duracell Powermat products are compatible with the Qi standard."
    Thanked by:
    clmbngbkng likes this.

Can anyone in UK find a cheap QI power mat, I am having real trouble finding any

Geeez, with the Nokia plate going for $50, and other Qi-compatible recharge mats with TWO spots hovering around that price, I may look for a non-Nokia mat.

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    Geeez, with the Nokia plate going for $50, and other Qi-compatible recharge mats with TWO spots hovering around that price, I may look for a non-Nokia mat.
    I ordered the Energizer one. It will be here tomorrow.
    Thanked by:
    yodies 
    yodies likes this.

Sweet! You're proving to be a super-helpful guinea pig. Thanks!

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    List of qi compatible products, has the Nokias and their accessories: Products - Wireless Power Consortium

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    managed to snatch an Enegizer Dual Charger on eBay for $30 with expedited shipping. It's going on Amazon for $58.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    I've been using an Energizer 2 position Qi charger since Friday. It works great and it's not super picky about phone orientation when you set it down.

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    managed to snatch an Enegizer Dual Charger on eBay for $30 with expedited shipping. It's going on Amazon for $58.
    Nice! It works great with the 920. :D
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Nice! It works great with the 920. :D
    Thank a lot for posting your experience with the Energizer hence the reason why I bough it.

The Nokia one is $49, nowhere to be found, and can't handle two devices.

My HP Touchpad Touchstone works w/ my Lumia 920.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_05 View Post
    It's been discussed. It triggers the charging sound but doesn't actually charge it.

I'm waiting on cases and what happens with the free one to check compatibility. The LG WCP-700 looks pretty good and is gong for about $40.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Be careful, it doesn't sport the same standard and has a shot at ruining your phone. I wouldn't do it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by clmbngbkng View Post
    Be careful, it doesn't sport the same standard and has a shot at ruining your phone. I wouldn't do it.
    Whoops. Thanks.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I had a buddy who just returned from Hong Kong pick me up some generic wireless charging pads with the QI standard and they work great.

I have been using it for a day now, testing the charge rate and the phone charges about 10% for every 20 minutes. The minutes are an approximant as I am at work trying to monitor it and sometimes I get distracted. I will try to confirm the numbers in the next few days. The charging pads were $20 each and I had him buy me 3 (for use at work and home). The phone and charging pad get a little warm to the touch which is to be expected and the charger has an auto shut off once the phone indicates it is fully charged. Manual was in English by the way.

Pic below of everything it came with

Here's also the first Nokia Wireless Charging stand unboxing video i have seen.
    Nokia Wireless Charging Stand unboxing (video) | nokiagadgets.com

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Whoops. Thanks.
    No problem, I tested it out on my TP charger and it does "activate" but took it off since I don't know about the differences and don't want to hurt the device.

Quote Originally Posted by clmbngbkng View Post
    Think I've done permanent damage for the 20 minutes it was on there?

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I agree I would not just put my phone down on any QI pad unless it meets the QI standard specification. I downloaded the PDF and gave it to my friend to make sure the specs match.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Think I've done permanent damage for the 20 minutes it was on there?
    I'm not sure, I would think so but keep an eye on it.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmikel View Post
    I agree I would not just put my phone down on any QI pad unless it meets the QI standard specification. I downloaded the PDF and gave it to my friend to make sure the specs match.
    You meant wireless/inductive pad because a QI pad does meet the QI specs.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Xsever - Yes you are right, thanks for the correction... Was typing on my phone and multi-tasking.

Because the battery is "fixed" battery maintenance is a must for this phone. Hence the reason for my concern about how many mA and a constant 5V charging my phone.

Here is a ton of battery info from other users on the WPcentral forum

Overview:
    How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

Way too much info:
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

pdf from Philips about how QI works:
    http://www2.fhi.nl/vermogenselektron...wageningen.pdf

So far I am loving this China version QI charging pad. Works great and seem to charge the phone quite fast. The output is 5 V at 1000mA which is 50% less than the HTC wall chargers I use to use for my HTC EVO 3D (2000mA). I measured the mA on the Nokia wall charger and it is outputting 1000 mA at 5V which is exactly what this charging pad outputs.

The charging pad also has a feature to go into stand by once it detects the phone has reached 99%. Instead of a flashing blue light to indicate the pad is charging, it just goes solid blue.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    So just a little update. I ordered a case for my Nokia Lumia 920 off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong and it only took 5 days to receive it, nice!

Having my phone in the case (leather case), I am still able to use the wireless charging pad. The case gets a little warm but it still charges. Very interesting...
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast