Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Nokia Lumia 920 review: Windows Phone 8′s white knight falls short | BGR

One thing that caught me by surprise is he said it doesn't have a microUSB port for charging. I thought it did, can anyone with one confirm you can charge via the MicroUSB port?

He lists that along with weight as some of his biggest complaints and we've been over the weight thing a million times.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Of course it does :D Wireles charging is just +

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I thought so... Sad because I normally like Zach's reviews. They are normal pretty fair and acurate! He does like the camera a lot so that is good :)

I swear that earlier in the review when describing the phone he said that it has a microUSB port.

I'm tired of reading about the non-issue weight of this phone. And the thickness? Good grief, it may be 1 millimeter thicker than other current phones, but it isn't the thickest phone ever.
    Last edited by mlm1950; 11-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I swear that earlier in the review when describing the phone he said that it has a microUSB port.
    Yea and later "it does not use a standard microUSB charging port " What an ***** reviewer, so wrong! :D
    Developer

Global Posts
    3,752 Global Posts
    Everything I've read says there is a microUSB port on the bottom, centered on the edge.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8), Meme 8 Ball (WP8)

Weight is kind of the "in" thing yo talk about right now.

I don't know if you've noticed, but tech blogs have a habit of just stating what other blogs say, but in different words. Maybe they'll add their own little twist to it.

But if one major blog brings up weight as an issue, then other guys have to mention it as an issue also or their "review" will appear incomplete.
    theefman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    I'm tired of reading about the non-issue weight of this phone. And the thickness? Good grief, it may be 1 millimeter thicker than other current phones, but it isn't the thickest phone ever.
    Notice how he relies on percentages to emphasize the differences between phones, because saying "is 10% thicker" sounds so much greater than "is 1mm thicker."

But, he really drops the ball with that lame USB charging comment....

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Everything I've read says there is a microUSB port on the bottom, centered on the edge.
    And they even have picture of it :D Laughing so hard right now

If I ever get asked about the weight of the Lumia 920 (when I eventually get one), I'll ask that person to show me their cellphone. There's a good chance they'll have an iPhone, and another good chance their iPhone will have a case.

In conclusion, the Lumia 920 weighs about the same as an iPhone with a case. In fact, I don't know a single person who uses an iPhone without a case. I'd even wager that the majority of the reviewers who complain about the weight also have iPhones for personal use that have a case.
    metalchick719 likes this.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I find it entertaining seeing all the comments about the weight. I held a Lumia 900 security attachement at all in my hand with my iPhone 4S in the other and I didn't notice much difference. Just that the 900 had more girth as far as dimensions are concerned.

I just like the fact that the screen is massive (but not so hilariously massive as the Samsung Note 2) and it's just as easy to use with 1 hand as my 4S was.

Global Posts
    1,492 Global Posts
    I think he meant the wireless charger doesn't have a micro usb port. If you look at the pictures, it appears to be a round plug.

This "weight" issue is like beating a dead horse. Seriously, the 920 is so solid it does not need a case. Yet, an iPhone with an otterbox case is heavier and looks retarded.

The weird thing is he admits the 920 is superior to the iPhone 5 in almost every way yet docks points for the "weight". It's really just a trade off. The iPhone 5 may be lighter but also lacks NFC, wireless charging, smaller screen etc...

If people want to talk about the weight, be informed enough to understand WHY it weighs more. Luckily, some other reviews have done a decent job at explaining that.

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    I think he meant the wireless charger doesn't have a micro usb port. If you look at the pictures, it appears to be a round plug.
    Oh, maybe he meant the pad has to be plugged into a wall outlet?

That makes sense.

The fact that he didn't realize the microUSB connector was also for charging makes me question the fact that he actually physically received a phone to review. Making an error like that suggests he wrote an article based on stuff he heard/read about the phone without having the benefit of actually having it with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    Oh, maybe he meant the pad has to be plugged into a wall outlet?

That makes sense.
    Maybe. But I've read that paragraph about 10 times and it does seem to imply (to me, at least) that the wireless charging is the only mechanism available to charge the phone.

Either he's an ***** (couldn't figure out how to charge the phone with the wall wart charger), a liar (ie didn't actually have a phone to review) or a poor writer...take your pick LOL.
    Reflexx likes this.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I agree, to me he seemed to be complaining that he had to carry the wireless charger to charge it anywhere instead of a standard charging cable. I think he even said that.

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts
    The weight is a non issue. I come from an iPhone 5 and I am already used to the 920's weight. I was using my 920 in bed last night and my arm didn't get tired at all.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I know someone that ordered a $200 exovault case(brass/wooden) for his iPhone5, I wonder how much extra weight that added:lol:

I'm pretty sure he was saying that the wireless **charging pad** doesn't use a micro USB cable, not suggesting the phone itself doesn't.

Fair point, seems like the cable for the wireless charge pad could & should have been a micro USB. That way, you just pop off the pad and plug in your phone directly if wanted.

I mean I could be wrong here but that's how I read it...

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasLabRat View Post
    Maybe. But I've read that paragraph about 10 times and it does seem to imply (to me, at least) that the wireless charging is the only mechanism available to charge the phone.

Either he's an ***** (couldn't figure out how to charge the phone with the wall wart charger), a liar (ie didn't actually have a phone to review) or a poor writer...take your pick LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by rareohs View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was saying that the wireless **charging pad** doesn't use a micro USB cable, not suggesting the phone itself doesn't.

Fair point, seems like the cable for the wireless charge pad could & should have been a micro USB. That way, you just pop off the pad and plug in your phone directly if wanted.

It's a tough call but misleading at the very least.

Can a USB can handle the current needed for a wireless charging pad?

The review was a click generator. I want a review that uses the smartglass, office, maps, etc in real life use. These reviewers need to remember there are unique devices for all segments of population.

That's possible, but then that should be part of the wireless charge pad review. Not the 920 review. There are plenty of other wireless charging accessories that might have what he is looking for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast