Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    Since Lumia 920 is glossy and glossy finish has the property to have micro scratches no matter how much you take care of it. So the only option to protect it is use a protective case. Now my qustion is if we use a thick protective case, will we be able to charge it wireless because the back side is protected by case?
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    It will really depend on the thickness of the case and I hope case manufacturers keep that in mind when creating the cases. Nokia phones are built like tanks so they shouldn't need huge bulky cases to protect them. My 900 has been great with the thin Nokia silicon case protecting it. It's kind of funny because my wife loves her tiny iPhone 5 but she put an Otter box on it that makes it bigger than my 900. The way I see it is Nokia builds a phone that needs minimal protection. The other guys go for light but in turn they need bigger cases which negates the benefits of small and light. I personally prefer a phone that needs little protection and the phone always looks the way it was intended to look.
    Thanked by:
    I wouldn't think so. I would think it would be necessary to remove it from its case if you were to wirelessly charge it.
    Thanked by:

I don' remember if the Qi standard is the same one used for the Wii wireless chargeable batteries, but they didnt need to be removed from the silicone cases that made them easier to hold. Just a thought.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    I wouldn't think so. I would think it would be necessary to remove it from its case if you were to wirelessly charge it.
    But if people use cases for protection have to remove it for charging will consider it a trouble
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

what about a skin, like from skinit.com? I'm kind of attached to my Harley skins on my phones. love the way they personalize your phone, although I preordered a red one to match the interior of my car lol:)

The only thing I know is that Nokia recommends you don't put any stickers on the back of the phone/casing (read it in the manual).

As far as distance goes it should be fine.

When Lumia 920 launched there was a video were they showed Lumia 920 charging some millimeters above the Nokia charging plate.

maverick786us i would not be too worried about those scratches. There has been white unibodies from Nokia with that same shiny coating since N9 and i haven't seen picture where the body would have been scratched.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I assume a case would be thinner than the Fatboy pillow, which is really just a pillow with the charger stuffed inside, so should be fine.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Though they used different technologies...Wireless Charging on the HP Touchpad for me worked through a pretty thick leather case, and having a case on the Palm Pre worked just fine, so I'd imagine cases on the L920 should be able to work as well.

fyi..this touchpad case works with wireless charging..and it's thicker than any case i could imagine with the lumia!

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-TouchPad...wpcentral00-20

Global Posts
    1,505 Global Posts
    btw, I had a white 900 for a few months, and it didn't get any micro scratches. No case, no babying after the first few weeks, just normal use. Take that for what it's worth.
    metalchick719 likes this.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I've read that the charging is contactless so depending on the thickness of the case I'd say it should still work. I'd let others try it first though ;)

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Does the phone need to be face up to charge? I normally like to put them face down so they don't light up my room at night when there is activity.

Yes it has to be face up. The copper coil is directly behind the back of the case.

Part of the point of having such strong construction and Gorilla Glass 2.0 is that you don't need a case as much. Never had one for my 800 or 900, and don't plan on having one for my 920. The phone is just too nice to ruin with a case.

Hi Mav

It does not appear that this question has been answered yet. Have you reached any conclusions yourself? Really want to plan my accessory purchases!

as to the other discussion that has presented here;
    I had the lumia 800 before i bought the 920. I know how tough they are, but a protective case is still necessary. Also the 920 is quite slippery, and i will end up hurling at the ground if i am not careful. I did that with my 800 and the speaker became intermittent!
    Otterbox states that the Qi standard for wireless charging works with up to 40mm of distance between the charger and the phone. I can state to the fact that I have my 920 in an otterbox defender case and it works just fine with the wireless charger.

so after finally getting a wallet case from amazon Amazon.com: NOKIA LUMIA 920 LOW PROFILE COVERT BRANDED PU LEATHER WALLET CASE - BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories and my LG WCP-700 Portable Power Mat Home and Office Charging Pad today, I can put some input on the situation. the case is a hard plastic shell that is wrapped in leather, I just got home to try it out and I can honestly say that it does charge through this case and probably just about any case you can put on it.
    Ill second the otterbox. I have an otterbox defender case on my 920 and the wireless charging still works no problems!

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    My soft gel case from ebay works fine on the wireless charger.
    Red Lumia 920

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    It'll most likely charge a little slower, but it should work.

It works just fine, mine can hover 1/2 inch above the charger and still charge fine
    My incredibly unscientific test...

Snap on case (from eBay) and a thick microfiber cloth folder in four between the charger and the phone still gets a charge. I didn't test it for an extended period of time, so I cannot comment if it's diminished or not. For something like an overnight charge I would not be worried. If you are needing the fastest charge possible, and don't want to plug in, I would go without a case.

My honest recommendation is to just try to get over the micro scratches. They really are minimal, and IMO, the case on the phone really takes away from the beauty. What's the point of a secy as **** phone if you cover it up?

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Yes, it will work. Mine works with Speck Candy Grip case.

I have the lumia 920, The otterbox - and a random wireless charger from ebay.

It DOES NOT charge with the otterbox on, the distance is too great.

This shows, not only the receiver (the lumia) but also the sender (the charger-station) has to be built to a certain standard.

This is simple "induction" - and if the transmitter is too weak, well - then it is too weak to bridge the distance.

The otterbox has unnecessary thick material exactly on the spot where the coil and the camera lense is, this
    means it is a matter of luck whether the charging will work, or no - probably the original wireless charger as sold by nokia
    will do just fine (nokia usually goes with the better quality) - But if you buy some other QI charger .. you may not be so lucky.

best regards from finland
    ----
    N8,N9,Lumia 920 ...to me, the iphone is dead since its birth, but then again.. i am a quick learner.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast