Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,546 Global Posts
    I'm typing this post right now on the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think the 920 is effen perfect. It's arguably a little bulkier than some of the competition but I think it works. Feels great in my hand and exudes quality.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, EIC, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    I'm typing this post right now on the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think the 920 is effen perfect. It's arguably a little bulkier than some of the competition but I think it works. Feels great in my hand and exudes quality.
    You should get one of Colbert's "Wrist-Strong" gel bracelets. You and Alba are brave for risking injury carrying a 6 ounce device.
    While opinions will be opinions, let's be honest. Both of those reviews seemed to be favoring Apple. If you are going to compare every aspect of the phone to the iPhone 5, well yes, it's thicker and heavier. What I don't understand is why girth and weight (we are not talking something the size of the unabridged Merriam Webster dictionary here) seem to be the be all end all of a phone review.

Here is basically what they say about the phone, in a nutshell:

"Compared to the iPhone 5, the Lumia 920 has a better screen (colors, touch response, size), better camera, better charging, and of course NFC (which most reviewers seem to think is a neutral point for some reason). But is is thicker and 50% heavier, therefore it is no good."

When did the thinness and weight of a phone become the standards by which quality is measured? And where were these people when the Droid RAZER launched during the 4S lifecycle. Why wasn't the Droid RAZER automatically promoted king of the hill?

What am I rambling on about? There is bias, and I would say it is perhaps an unintentional OS bias. Reviewers are used to iOS. They have been using it since modern smartphone OS's existed. Change? Change is bad. Change means we have to adapt. We don't want to adapt.

This is coming from a person who has had EVERY SINGLE iPhone since it's inception, with the exception of the iPhone 5. There is only one thing that worries me about the 920, and that is app adoption. Admittedly, with the changes that MS has done to the dev kit, and the slew of more recent apps hitting (or soon to hit) the market, this worry has lessened.

One last thing before my I end my rant; the Nokia Lumia 900 reached EOL WAYYYYYY too soon. Some people will argue that this isn't the case, that MS is still giving them WP 7.8. But app development has all but ceased. IMO the phone shouldn't have been released. That is my only SINGLE gripe about Nokia. Let's hope they learn from their mistakes and don't do something like that again.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Why don't the review sites ***** about the Galaxy Note or Galaxy Note II -- they weigh 178g and 183g respectively?
    Thanked by:
    ramrac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    .............I hate you. For us mere mortals we have to wait a whole freaking week.
    suvastallions likes this.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarsden View Post
    Why don't the review sites ***** about the Galaxy Note or Galaxy Note II -- they weigh 178g and 183g respectively?
    Simple - the larger screen of those devices justifies the increase in weight. The weight is also spread out over a larger area so it doesn't feel as brick-like.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firstness View Post
    Simple - the larger screen of those devices justifies the increase in weight. The weight is also spread out over a larger area so it doesn't feel as brick-like.
    Not really -- most of the drag is on your wrist. 180g is 180g as far as phones are concerned...tablets are a different story. I think the "simple" explanation is that they're biased :)

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    If people care so much about slim phones why is Otterbox making so much money?
    For the other group of people :)

My wallet is heavier and bigger than the Lumia 920 and it has no money in it. Thus making this argument invalid.

Again I deliver the end all, be all, comment and truth.

:)

I believe the reason why they said that the 920 is "bulky" or heavy" is becos they are indirectly trying to "brainwash" people into thinking that thin & light are better, hence, iPhone 5 is better. And the reason why they target 920 as the whipping child is because 920 is going to post a major threat to their beloved iphone. Finally, the reason why I have come to this conclusion is that I have been reading this forum for quite sometime, I noticed there are quite a substantial converts from iPhone to 920 in recent months.
    Apple and its supporters are feeling insecure & afraid right now.
    Be Afraid, Be Very Very Afraid.
    The Dawn of A New Mobile Era is here :D
    ramrac and suvastallions like this.

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    "Justifies the increase"? "Spread out" weight? That's simple... if you were Samsung PR. You're holding 180g. Period. If you have a problem with 180g, nothing is going to change but your perception.
    ramrac likes this.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarsden View Post
    Thats like complaining that a Ford F150 weighs more than a Prius, the Note's heavier because its larger, duh doy. Besides I don't think you could make the Note II any lighter, Samsung already uses the lightest crappiest plastic known to man.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    i say that only matters depending on the type of cases that will be avalible for the 920
  14. cgk

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robinleck View Post
    I believe the reason why they said that the 920 is "bulky" or heavy" is becos they are indirectly trying to "brainwash" people into thinking that thin & light are better, hence, iPhone 5 is better. And the reason why they target 920 as the whipping child is because 920 is going to post a major threat to their beloved iphone.
    If you really believe that rather than you are pulling our leg, might be worth turning off the computer and going outside for a bit...
    Thanked by:
    Winterfang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cgk1 View Post
    If you really believe that rather than you are pulling our leg, might be worth turning off the computer and going outside for a bit...
    Trying to post something cheeky to get over my weekend. Btw post this reply outside right now, having dinner with family alfresco :D
    Regardless, I still <3 Windows Phone & my white Lumia 900.
    Cheerios ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    If people care so much about slim phones why is Otterbox making so much money?

I'll start by saying that I'm Nokia all the way, and that anyone who thinks 185g is heavy is weaksauce. However, an already chunky phone + otterbox = TANK. So if you're the type who's gonna throw the otterbox on every phone you buy, (I know people who won't buy a phone that otterbox doesn't make a case for) IMO that's when weight and thickness REALLY start to matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post

Buy a can of Coke. Drink half of it. That's how heavy the Lumia 920 is. I think I can handle that.

Great example! My only issue is finding the restraint to only drink the can.. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    I'll start by saying that I'm Nokia all the way, and that anyone who thinks 185g is heavy is weaksauce. However, an already chunky phone + otterbox = TANK. So if you're the type who's gonna throw the otterbox on every phone you buy, (I know people who won't buy a phone that otterbox doesn't make a case for) IMO that's when weight and thickness REALLY start to matter.
    Nokia phone wont need a case. Its made of PLASTIC. Its not gonna break... maybe scratch up. But I can live with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by eurovisionacts View Post
    Nokia phone wont need a case. Its made of PLASTIC. Its not gonna break... maybe scratch up. But I can live with that.

Yeah I won't be putting my 920 in a case either. But have friends (more than one) who would wrap their Sherman Tank in an otterbox if possible. Hypothetical, of course... Don't know anyone who owns a tank. :)
    Xsever likes this.

after 2 years with Nokia N8 i didn't have a scratch at least , dropped him about 8 times and still in shape :)

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    CNET in its review went so far as to say that you can't put it in your jeans front pocket comfortably. What are the other reviews saying about the size and the weight of this phone?
    As if one always wears jeans! iCNET just can't get over the fact that the Lumia 920 smokes the iPhone 5
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robinleck View Post
    I believe the reason why they said that the 920 is "bulky" or heavy" is becos they are indirectly trying to "brainwash" people into thinking that thin & light are better, hence, iPhone 5 is better. And the reason why they target 920 as the whipping child is because 920 is going to post a major threat to their beloved iphone. Finally, the reason why I have come to this conclusion is that I have been reading this forum for quite sometime, I noticed there are quite a substantial converts from iPhone to 920 in recent months.
    Apple and its supporters are feeling insecure & afraid right now.
    Be Afraid, Be Very Very Afraid.
    The Dawn of A New Mobile Era is here :D
    The enemy is Android. That is the trojan horse and the 500 lb gorilla in the room. NOT APPLE. I wish people could get that through their thick heads. Apple's marketshare is self-limiting and in decline. ANDROID IS THE KEY THREAT TO WINDOWS PHONE.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    So 180g is OK, as long as it's in a phone that is also so stupidly big it won't fit in anyones pocket?
    pvcleave and ramrac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csi guy1 View Post
    I like phones to have a little bulk and weight. I think that many phones today are too thin and light and feel cheap.
    You got that right. Having a heavier phone in ones hand adds more grip and keeps your busy hands very aware that you are actually holding on to something. Lighter phones can easily be mistaken for something else and thus easier to fly off the hand or dropped without the owner hearing or noticing anything.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    So 180g is OK, as long as it's in a phone that is also so stupidly big it won't fit in anyones pocket?
    The Note is so thin and light is more pocketable than the 920. It also has a reason for the compromise, is actually a very innovative phone because of the larger screen and responsive stylus, which to be honest will get more use than blurry pictures at night.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast