Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 298
Like Tree136Likes
  1. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #1  
    Can someone explain to me how Nokia can make a phone and promote the camera as the selling point for the device yet every review that has come out for it says the camera takes dull pictures, not Sharp or crisp? I just don't understand. How can the IPhone 4/5 still have the best phone camera
    Jazmac likes this.
  2. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,381 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    #2  
    Please list all the reviews that say this. I am interest to see.

    Thanks.
  3. Davidkoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #3  
    I've yet to see any comparison between them. The iPhone 4 does not have the best camera by any stretch, I would call it awful. The iPhone 5 might, I will hold out on saying which camera is best in daylight until I see comparison shots. I would say there is enough comparison shots to say that in lower light conditions and while recording video the Lumia is winning, but I have no idea which wins during more high light conditions.
  4. vtective's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #4  
    Here's an iPhone vs Lumia 920 comparison via DialAPhone...
    Camera Comparison: Nokia Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5 | Mobile Phone Reviews
  5. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,381 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vtective View Post
    Here's an iPhone vs Lumia 920 comparison via DialAPhone...
    Camera Comparison: Nokia Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5 | Mobile Phone Reviews
    pic 1 tie, cant see much difference

    pic 2 lumia blurry goes to i5

    pic 3 goes to lumia more color
    vtective and Jazmac like this.
  6. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,444 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    #6  
    Oh noes! Nokia is lying to us again! /sarcasm
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    theefman, Big Supes and jomarr like this.
  7. gudnuf4u's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #7  
    which review or you looking at? if you're talking about Engadget, they also said the Nokia N8 took worst pictures than the Iphone 4

    Iphones pre-process all their pictures so it comes out looking more colorful..Nokia imaging retain the same color sharpness

    look at comparision between the Nokia 808 and the iPhone 5....the iPhone has more color but very saturated while the Nokia 808 retains the color of the actual image, therefore you can do more post processing on the Nokia images

    Most consumers will say the iPhone 5 looks sharper because of the pre-processing of the pictures the phone does..its very magical

    one of the forum member has a Nokia Lumia 920, you can ask to take random pictures of the snow, building structures, trees and see for yourself
    Thanked by:
  8. Davidkoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by vtective View Post
    Here's an iPhone vs Lumia 920 comparison via DialAPhone...
    Camera Comparison: Nokia Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5 | Mobile Phone Reviews
    Thanks, maybe the iPhone 5 does have an edge in normal light? I don't usually trust reviews that do not attach uncompressed versions of their reference pictures. Same as I don't trust hardware reviews that do not post their benchmark scores.
  9. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Nokia can make a phone and promote the camera as the selling point for the device yet every review that has come out for it says the camera takes dull pictures, not Sharp or crisp? I just don't understand. How can the IPhone 4/5 still have the best phone camera
    808 PureView is the best cameraphone out there.
    Low light performance has already been proven many times to be best there is, but we do need more pics under good lighting. Example The Verge's senior editor posted this picture from his Lumia 920 today.

    The Lumia 920 camera in low light is like Vince Carter in a slam dunk contest. Untouchable.
    Imo that answer can really be given by GSMarema, Engadget and The Verge about overall performance when we got the reviews.

    Though while i want great camera (it can't beat my 808 PureView, no phone for year or two), but to me more important parts are music quality, screen and Nokia apps.
  10. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #10  
    I have seen the user shots on this forum and a few website reviews and I am already convinced we've been had. It is nowhere near the hype. The Lumia 920 looks to just be a 900 with much better low-light capability. The normal lighting shots seem to suffer from the same complaints as the 900. There is a serious lack of sharpness from what I've seen so far...noise reduction to the point of softness. Believe me if this camera was anything close to the game changer it was supposed to be there would be no website calling it "lackluster".
  11. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #11  
    Um... You mean those photos that people are uploading to free image hosting sites that compress the images hard? The ones I've seen on Dropbox/skydive look great. If you get your photo quality review from a site called "dialaphone" then I suggest quitting life now.
  12. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    #12  
    Nokia Lumia 920 review | Expert Reviews

    Verdict:

    Lacklustre camera aside, this is a superb Windows Phone 8 handset

    We were less impressed with the Lumia 920's still images, though. While these were well-exposed, colours were dull and photos weren't as sharp as we would like. There was also a large amount of noise reduction, but this led to a loss of detail. We much preferred the HTC Windows Phone 8X's images which, while overexposed, were much more vibrant and pleasing to look at.
    Nokia Lumia 920 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

    I took it for a wander with an iPhone 5 and I found the results to be satisfactory, but not mindblowing. The Lumia does a much better job with colour and toning, providing a warm, rich shot. The iPhone's effort seemed a little cold by comparison.
  13. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,444 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I have seen the user shots on this forum and a few website reviews and I am already convinced we've been had. It is nowhere near the hype. The Lumia 920 looks to just be a 900 with much better low-light capability. The normal lighting shots seem to suffer from the same complaints as the 900. There is a serious lack of sharpness from what I've seen so far...noise reduction to the point of softness. Believe me if this camera was anything close to the game changer it was supposed to be there would be no website calling it "lackluster".
    It's a game changer in regards to video recording and low light shots. But what possibly gives it good low light pictures (OIS + high ISO + aggressive noise reduction) ruins the daylight shots (aggressive noise reduction = lack of detail).
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  14. Yakkaimono's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #14  
    People really should wait for the big sites to post their thorough reviews. I never heard anything about dialaphone. Especially gsmarena's and to some extent theverge and phonearena. They review everything much more thoroughly. If they can show that the cam is average then we can start discussing what went wrong there.
    I also heard from a lot of people that I personally trust that the camera is "awesome". I am not exactly thrilled so far by what we got to see but I'll wait for said reviews till I pass my judgement.
  15. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,444 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    #15  
    Noise reduction strikes again! :(
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  16. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Um... You mean those photos that people are uploading to free image hosting sites that compress the images hard? The ones I've seen on Dropbox/skydive look great. If you get your photo quality review from a site called "dialaphone" then I suggest quitting life now.
    I am talking about the zero compression shots from skydrive uploaded by xsever, and the examples on the 2 official reviews that I read.
  17. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,652 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    #17  
    any comparisons with the 8X? kind curious, I always felt the 8X would have a slight edge on the camera.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

    Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
    Jazmac likes this.
  18. Reeves's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I have seen the user shots on this forum and a few website reviews and I am already convinced we've been had. It is nowhere near the hype. The Lumia 920 looks to just be a 900 with much better low-light capability. The normal lighting shots seem to suffer from the same complaints as the 900. There is a serious lack of sharpness from what I've seen so far...noise reduction to the point of softness. Believe me if this camera was anything close to the game changer it was supposed to be there would be no website calling it "lackluster".
    I don't get people writing off low-light capability and optical image stabilization as mere add-ons.

    I'm the father of a couple of young boys. I'm current stuck with an HTC Arrive, but ready to switch to AT&T as soon as the Lumia 920. My wife has a superfast-shooting HTC Evo LTE.

    The VAST majority of pics we have to throw out/delete are due to blurriness or low-light grain/murkiness. Most of their spontaneous magic moments do not occur in daylight outdoors or in a room with huge windows.

    The Lumia 920 features are ideal for this. Additionally, they have the smart group shot thing that lets us take previously unusable shots because one kid or another was looking away or scowling, and then create a better single shot. Everything I've seen thus far indicates this is the perfect smartphone camera for me. Your mileage may vary, but I think they've already delivered on their promises.
  19. #19  
    HTC evo lte has an excellent camera. Not sure what your doing wrong. Even in low light the pics are nice. Not lumia nice, but probably not far off.
  20. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #20  
    Nokia screwed themselves . They focused on low light and hurt themself with dayshots. Most pictures are taken during the day.
  21. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdaynight View Post
    I don't get people writing off low-light capability and optical image stabilization as mere add-ons.

    I'm the father of a couple of young boys. I'm current stuck with an HTC Arrive, but ready to switch to AT&T as soon as the Lumia 920. My wife has a superfast-shooting HTC Evo LTE.

    The VAST majority of pics we have to throw out/delete are due to blurriness or low-light grain/murkiness. Most of their spontaneous magic moments do not occur in daylight outdoors or in a room with huge windows.

    The Lumia 920 features are ideal for this. Additionally, they have the smart group shot thing that lets us take previously unusable shots because one kid or another was looking away or scowling, and then create a better single shot. Everything I've seen thus far indicates this is the perfect smartphone camera for me. Your mileage may vary, but I think they've already delivered on their promises.
    I hear you on the low light...however I have reservations that the 920 is going to beat out that Evo LTE when it comes to real-world moving subjects like kids in low light. I am quite sure it will let in more light, but let's see how the detail compares.
  22. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    #22  
    I hope the OIS really brings the game, because I agree that the camera is not selling that phone to me. Now, the awesome Nokia only apps make it a bit more appealing. IF they work as the PR team claims.
  23. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,993 Posts
    #23  
    I think the camera is what was mostly hyped. Amazing when there is a need for low light shots and the power of OIS is totally undeniable. I didn't expect it to take killer shots with good lighting, still hand and everything else being optimal. Simply cos the phones that currently rule that department have huge camera bulges, now 920 has optical image stabilisation so no way it can fit all the goodies in there (well, technology evolves and maybe one day it can, but for now).

    As in, I don't think we've been had at all.
    Residing likes this.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    Nokia screwed themselves . They focused on low light and hurt themself with dayshots. Most pictures are taken during the day.
    If you take more evening shots get the 920, more daytime, quick shots, get the 8x.
    Villain likes this.
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Nokia can make a phone and promote the camera as the selling point for the device yet every review that has come out for it says the camera takes dull pictures, not Sharp or crisp? I just don't understand. How can the IPhone 4/5 still have the best phone camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I have seen the user shots on this forum and a few website reviews and I am already convinced we've been had.
    Are you guys serious? Since when has marketing "mumbo jumbo" ever been a reliable source of information. I am completely baffled that people expect it to be.

    Marketing hype is all we have had so far for any WP8 device, and with a single exception the initial reviews are far from thorough or even trustworthy. Most reviewers have no idea what they are talking about and their articles are full of factual errors.

    Calm down, wait for real reviews.
    theefman and GSOgymrat like this.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B