Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By VagrantWade
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By BellaRed
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By mmacleodbrown
  • 1 Post By SnailUK
  • 1 Post By BellaRed
  1.    #1  
    Hi all

    Just wounding if anyone else is waiting for other network in the UK to get 4G then going to buy the Nokia Lumia 920.

    This is what I was planning to do currently I'm with GiffGaff which is the best pay and go sim deals love unlimited internet and texts mostly internet and I'm am not considering to change to EE specially when it only in certain cities.

    I was basically interested to see if anyone else is waiting for 4G to other networks to buy the Nokia Lumia 920 with 4G. :3

    Which i probably get the red it look sexy unless by 4 or 5 months later the cyan colours come out. :3

    Cheers ;)
    Last edited by palandri; 09-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
  2. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #2  
    Why are you saying "wounding"? Do you mean "wondering"?
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts
    #3  
    If you wait for the other networks, you realise that the 920 is likely going to End of life/replaced? Very unlikely the other networks have 4g networks before the end of 2013.

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Why are you saying "wounding"? Do you mean "wondering"?
    It my spell checker :3
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk1 View Post
    If you wait for the other networks, you realise that the 920 is likely going to End of life/replaced? Very unlikely the other networks have 4g networks before the end of 2013.

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I thought it was coming out next year in summer never mind then my dreams of a faster way to view YouTube is over aside from WIFI of course :3

    Thanks
  6. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #6  
    Well. There has been an interesting development today. The networks all came together with Ofcom and a government minister and it seems they have all agreed to get 4G launched earlier by clearing the old analogue signal as soon as possible after the digital switchover. Spring of 2013 seems to be the target. :) obviously the roll out will be staged but its coming!!!

    The auction is in January 2013.

    That said, I'm quite happy to run my new wp8 phone on 3G until 4G is available on all networks. Pricing might be better then as they will all be competing for our custom.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  7. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,816 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,472 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    Well. There has been an interesting development today. The networks all came together with Ofcom and a government minister and it seems they have all agreed to get 4G launched earlier by clearing the old analogue signal as soon as possible after the digital switchover. Spring of 2013 seems to be the target. :) obviously the roll out will be staged but its coming!!!

    The auction is in January 2013.

    That said, I'm quite happy to run my new wp8 phone on 3G until 4G is available on all networks. Pricing might be better then as they will all be competing for our custom.
    There's gonna be only one loser... Three! Which means goodbye AYCE data :(

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts
    #8  
    Yes I started another thread, our condem govt actually managed to get its act together and moved the date forward.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  9. #9  
    Im getting a 920 now but can't switch until May/June, but will probably wait for them to iron out the kinks with the technology first as VoLTE is still an immature technology with alot of issues......
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  10. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    #10  
    No point waiting on 4G coverage IMHO.

    Its going to be patchy for ages before its actually useful, and even once in place, is there actually much use for 4G, unless tethering to another device? A good 3G signal gets most of my stuff done just as quickly as wifi.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  11. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    There's gonna be only one loser... Three! Which means goodbye AYCE data :(

    I think there are plans for 3uk to get an equal share of the 4G spectrum, these were mentioned when Ofcom announced the auction. The other networks weren't too happy but Ofcoms opinion was that they wanted 4 competitive players. 3 is also buying surplus 2g spectrum from EE so they will have 4g on several different bandwidths.

    I do agree that AYCE might end but it will be dependant on how much it costs them to buy spectrum from the auction.

    I run my HTC One X on 3 AYCE and its fabulous, this is the networking will be using for my Lumia 820 so I guess I am not in any big rush for 4G. 3's speeds are very good on HSPA and DC-HSPA is rolling out soon.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    Well. There has been an interesting development today. The networks all came together with Ofcom and a government minister and it seems they have all agreed to get 4G launched earlier by clearing the old analogue signal as soon as possible after the digital switchover. Spring of 2013 seems to be the target. :) obviously the roll out will be staged but its coming!!!

    The auction is in January 2013.

    That said, I'm quite happy to run my new wp8 phone on 3G until 4G is available on all networks. Pricing might be better then as they will all be competing for our custom.
    I also read about that as well very interesting, I'm very excited about this good piece of news it very good to see the govt put some weight behind something for a change :3

    Anyway I don't tend to use 3G much as I use WIFI quite alot after realizing that my BT hub 2.0 had wireless didn't know for over 5 years or abit less very silly of me :blush:

    I tend to wait for a while before buying a new phone for it to come cheaper :happy: as well as updates to fix bugs of course ;)

    Thanks for the news
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinleeds View Post
    There's gonna be only one loser... Three! Which means goodbye AYCE data :(
    That alright by me don't use three because I'm on GiffGaff which uses the O2 network and don't tend to have any issues and I do like unlimited internet and text for 10 a month. :happy:

    That why I pay for sim unlocked phones no pay monthly contract but I don't like those kind of things rather buy full then use what every network I want. :3
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk1 View Post
    Yes I started another thread, our condem govt actually managed to get its act together and moved the date forward.
    I know I was so surprised the govt doing something for a change :3

    Something that everyone will like
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmacleodbrown View Post
    Im getting a 920 now but can't switch until May/June, but will probably wait for them to iron out the kinks with the technology first as VoLTE is still an immature technology with alot of issues......
    L920 should be very good I'm would love to get it when it come out but I'm on bit of a budget so I probably wait to get cheaper on sim free don't like pay monthly :giggle:

    I use GiffGaff and like the deals as well as the community aspect. :D

    I hope you enjoy the phone when you get it should be top notch very jealous :P
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    No point waiting on 4G coverage IMHO.

    Its going to be patchy for ages before its actually useful, and even once in place, is there actually much use for 4G, unless tethering to another device? A good 3G signal gets most of my stuff done just as quickly as wifi.
    Thanks I tend to get over excited and forget about such details that their will be issues bringing in a new infrastructure I probably see what happens I won't be buying for another few months until the price gets lower :3

    Thanks again ;)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    I think there are plans for 3uk to get an equal share of the 4G spectrum, these were mentioned when Ofcom announced the auction. The other networks weren't too happy but Ofcoms opinion was that they wanted 4 competitive players. 3 is also buying surplus 2g spectrum from EE so they will have 4g on several different bandwidths.

    I do agree that AYCE might end but it will be dependant on how much it costs them to buy spectrum from the auction.

    I run my HTC One X on 3 AYCE and its fabulous, this is the networking will be using for my Lumia 820 so I guess I am not in any big rush for 4G. 3's speeds are very good on HSPA and DC-HSPA is rolling out soon.
    3G is pretty good and all the problem are fix unlike the 4G ones when they start to become a problem. :3

    I tend to use WIFI alot so only a few times where I do actually use 3G for emails mostly :3
  18. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,816 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,472 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPADDY009 View Post
    That alright by me don't use three because I'm on GiffGaff which uses the O2 network and don't tend to have any issues and I do like unlimited internet and text for 10 a month. :happy:

    That why I pay for sim unlocked phones no pay monthly contract but I don't like those kind of things rather buy full then use what every network I want. :3
    I tether, a lot. GiffGaff isn't an option for me as a result. The One Plan on Three does however give me the tethering.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  19. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPADDY009 View Post

    Anyway I don't tend to use 3G much as I use WIFI quite alot after realizing that my BT hub 2.0 had wireless didn't know for over 5 years or abit less very silly of me :blush:

    I tend to wait for a while before buying a new phone for it to come cheaper :happy: as well as updates to fix bugs of course ;)

    Thanks for the news
    I use wifi where and when I can as it is often faster than 3G .

    I also don't tend to wait for the prices of new phones to fall, I dive right in! Like you I always buy sim free, I've never had a contract.

    I have a BB9900, a HTC One X and an iPad 3. I run all 3 for 31.50 ($50) a month. the blackberry costs me 16.50 a month on O2 , the 1X is on 3uk AYCE (15 pm) and my iPad is wifi only. I run the iPad on wifi at home and when out and about or in the office I run it via wifi hotspot, mainly on the 1X. I love wifi hotspot, it works so well.

    Many people pay 30+ for just one phone with perhaps 1gb of data on contract so I think I do ok :)

    I like gadgets!

Posting Permissions