Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78
Like Tree53Likes
  1. saintforlife's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
       #1  
    iPhone 5 launch:

    Pre-orders start on Friday Sep 14th. Shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.







  2. KarateDad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #2  
    The only thing really awesome is that it is available in 9 days. Other than it being thin, it was a yawn fest.
  3. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,235 Posts
    #3  
    The iPhone5 announcement was a disaster.

    This is NOT how you do it Nokia.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori, Residing, Apoc and 4 others like this.
  4. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    978 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,026 Global Posts
    #4  
    I hope you and your iPhone are very happy. When's the wedding?

    **Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
    My next phone...
    cckgz4 likes this.
  5. paulheu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #5  
    With the iPhone 5 Apple forgot about Steve. He is now truly dead and buried. which is sad really.

    This phone would have _never_ gotten passed Steve Jobs in this state. It does not even play catchup to the competition.
    Last edited by paulheu; 09-12-2012 at 01:34 PM.
  6. Old_Cus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    411 Posts
    #6  
    Apple has a very large core or customers that will always but their products not matter what. You're not going to sway them. The question is how many current Iphone owners are there that are ready to jump ship for something different and (yes) better? How many current Iphone owners are there that today decided not to upgrade to ip5?

    Iphone5 numbers will be large but this might be the first year new release sales were less than prior sales.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 and GoodThings2Life like this.
  7. #7  
    Are you FREAKING kidding me?! The iPhone 5 is literally a poorly done catch-up device. The only thing they did was announce pricing and availability, and mark my words... we'll get both over the next week or two... and they'll be lower than the iPhone.
  8. saintforlife's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
       #8  
    All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

    Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.
  9. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    #9  
    I don't care about the device on how it compares really with what's out there. I think the OP is stating that they announced their new product, with pricing, and with exact preorder/shipping dates. THAT is how it's done. Just giving credit to where credit is due. Other than that, the iPhone 5 is meh.
  10. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,235 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

    Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.
    Your post didn't say, "This is how you announce release dates."

    Most of the iPhone5 presentation was pretty bland. Did you watch something different?

    For what it's worth, I think Apple makes a good product, and they deserve their success. But the iPhone5 shows that they're losing their mojo. I guess Steve Jobs really was the heart of that company.
  11. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,235 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloXCRacer View Post
    I don't care about the device on how it compares really with what's out there. I think the OP is stating that they announced their new product, with pricing, and with exact preorder/shipping dates. THAT is how it's done. Just giving credit to where credit is due. Other than that, the iPhone 5 is meh.
    Why is that how it's done?

    Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

    Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more...

    ...Why are you guys so insecure?...
    And if you read, you'll notice that I DID comment on the launch date aspect... but that alone doesn't make an exciting launch which was the thesis of your argument. It's a good thing, but all they did was announce a minor update, they're charging the same for it, but you have to buy all your accessories all over again... or at least a bulky adapter. Furthermore, do you really believe Nokia didn't plan to wait on pricing until after?

    What do you expect? It's a platform debate. It's Microsoft vs. Apple. If you were expecting less hostility on a Windows Phone forum about Apple, then you were only fooling yourself.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Why is that how it's done?

    Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

    Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.
    Exactly, and look at Amazon. They announced pre-ordering and dates... for a product that won't be released until mid-November.

    It's a good quality of a presentation (and I was very disappointed that Nokia didn't), but it's not what "makes" a presentation. The availability doesn't change my desire for it.
  14. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,445 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    It's a good quality of a presentation (and I was very disappointed that Nokia didn't), but it's not what "makes" a presentation. The availability doesn't change my desire for it.
    Yeah, I wish Nokia's and Microsoft's presentations were better. It's harder to watch and get excited about something when the presenter keeps stuttering and doesn't seem genuinely excited about the product.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  15. saintforlife's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Your post didn't say, "This is how you announce release dates."
    You are not much of a winner when it comes to reading comprehension are you?

    This was the title of my thread: "This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn".

    The only things I highlighted/bolded in my OP were the dates, so you had to know that was the focus of the thread. There wasn't a single word about the iPhone 5's features or how it lined up against the 920.

    The fact that you jumped all over this thread without even bothering to understand what the point of the OP was speaks more to your insecurity about Nokia and WP than my supposedly misleading thread title.

    Like I said, my next phone is a Lumia 920. My only problem with Nokia's launch was lack of concrete dates and availability. They have a lot to learn from Apple in this regard. But I am sure Nokia and MS will get there eventually.
  16. #16  
    That is simply a ludicrous statement to make. As a matter of fact, I think Winning Guy happens to be one of the strongest spoken advocates of the platform right now. I find nothing insecure with pointing out that your thesis, while direct, is flawed and for the reasons everyone has given.

    The fact that you've come here expecting people who are pro-Microsoft to somehow be loving and appreciative of Apple's release is absurd.
    Thanked by:
  17. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,445 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    That is simply a ludicrous statement to make. As a matter of fact, I think Winning Guy happens to be one of the strongest spoken advocates of the platform right now. I find nothing insecure with pointing out that your thesis, while direct, is flawed and for the reasons everyone has given.

    The fact that you've come here expecting people who are pro-Microsoft to somehow be loving and appreciative of Apple's release is absurd.
    Where did he ask for everyone to be loving of Apple's announcement?
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    Where did he ask for everyone to be loving of Apple's announcement?
    Really? That's what you want to try and pick on me for? You want to take a literal word for word. OK, fine... as you wish...

    Consistently he has suggested that giving pricing and release information is the most important aspect of how to launch a product (to which I agree it's important), and has consistently followed up declaring how hateful and hostile and d*cks (his words, not mine) us "fanboys" are.

    Clearly, I must assume that we're supposed to post favorably about a platform we dislike or else we're d*cks.

    But hey, maybe you didn't bother to read that post in the high pace action being posted.

    (And, btw, based on the use of that expression and direction this topic is going... don't expect it to last long. A mod will shut this one down pretty rapidly.)
  19. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    #19  
    In fairness to Nokia, they can't release a phone without an OS, so we're actually waiting on Microsoft. And Amazon has a number of Kindle releases before November, my Kindle Fire HD 7 will be arriving in the next 5 days.
    tissotti likes this.
  20. Zumanity's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
    #20  
    I agree, this is how you do it - release price points and dates during presentation.

    I think Apple does this because they control literally 100 percent of their operation in terms of hardware, software, and negotiations with carriers. They are in the best position to present their new product and release it in a timely manner.

    I would have loved Nokia/Samsung to present, show off, and announce release dates, but they simply cannot.
    Thanked by:
    tissotti and Kredrian like this.
  21. oblivman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #21  
    Dumb thread is dumb. Announce your product early so consumers know what to expect. Trying to hide all the info until it is ready to launch is an inferior tactic. Just because Apple does it that way, that doesn't make it right.
  22. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Why is that how it's done?

    Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

    Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.
    No, that is why you wait until the product is ready. The OS is ready, the hardware is ready, and are now being mass manufactured as the announcement is taking place. It is even worse when you have to fake promotional material because the product is not ready. It is even worse when you don't announce pricing or availability because a lot of people will just buy a competitors product that already has been released or will be release shortly. Nokia has got a solid product, I'm going to buy it because that's what I want. But it doesn't help win new customers to the platform when you get bad press for faking a product that's not ready, and don't release any information on who will carry it and at what price. More than likely they will just buy what's already out there and not wait. Talking about the average non-fanboyish customer who is not loyal to any echo system, which far outnumber us geeks.
  23. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivman View Post
    Dumb thread is dumb. Announce your product early so consumers know what to expect. Trying to hide all the info until it is ready to launch is an inferior tactic. Just because Apple does it that way, that doesn't make it right.
    Yeah inferior. That's why they sell twice as many products in a weekend than Lumias ever.
  24. sconrad308's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #24  
    I think there is some confusion, but I don't really think that the Nokia or the Samsung things were "launch parties" they were product announcements. I think there will be a launch party in the next month or so that will have specifics. This will be a straight up Microsoft event though, I think.
    Samsung Focus Flash on Straight Talk.
  25. ljkelley's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #25  
    I disagree this once. Nokia did the right thing. It was better to announce before the iPhone 5 without a product. Why?

    Because everyone is comparing the iPhone to the Lumia 920 and for all intents and purposes the Lumia 920 comes out ahead.
    Thanked by:
    Residing, Bkr11, a5cent and 4 others like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions