Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    This thing is going to weigh 0.41 pounds (versus 0.353 lbs for Lumia 900), versus 0.30 for the Samsung ATIV. Plus, it will be 0.42" thick (versus 0.45 for Lumia 900), versus 0.34" for the ATIV. This is just plain massive. I know- Samsung is flimsy and plastic, but this is just a hulk. This is very disappointing. I like the Lumia 900, but it is still too heavy and too thick. Anyone else feel the same way?
    Winterfang likes this.

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    just get the Ativ S then. Samsung is for light weight things
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I might just go for the iphone 5. I am not a fan of Samsung based on past android experience. I really wanted the Nokia Windows phone. I'd go for the new 800 series Lumia announced, but it has a lower quality screen resolution than the 920- EDIT- nix that idea- the new 820 will weigh the same as as the Lumia 900.
    Last edited by hbg1; 09-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Global Posts
    2,564 Global Posts
    it is thinner than the 900, and the weight thing is no big deal for a phone that size. I'm probably going with the ATIV S since I can't support HTC with my money for being A-holes.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    I don't know, personally never understood the craze about thin phones when we are in the 12mm range, neither have i ever used phone that was somehow heavy, but each of it's own.

Never really liked Samsung designs as they seem to release the same slap every year. Maybe ATIV S being the most horrible looking with that plastic that is made to look like metal back. Especially after the GS experience, never going back to Samsung or Android.

Looking at the Lumia 920 features i'm more than likely going for it. HTC might surprise but looking at the least... probably not. Software side is of course given on Nokia's side.

I don't feel that way at all. The size is barely bigger than the 900 which I have no problems with. I've dropped my 900 several times and have only scratched it. I'll take the slightly bigger size to have the quality and durability. Not to mention the many other great features like the camera lens which takes room.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Lumia 920: 10.7 mm thick and 185 gms! Talk about regressing.

Inexcusable especially with a non removable battery and it is not like you are getting a bigger battery either. It is still 300mAh smaller than the Ativ S.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    all of you are wasting your time with this guy.. case closed.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    Dude, I want extra weight on my phone. Pure and simple. I'm going for the 820 because I want a removable battery. I have a 4.7" phone atm, and I like it, but I think 4.3" will be enough for me.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    I'm not exactly sure what's responsible for the weight increase but:

1. Larger battery--170mAh more.

2. Wireless charging added.

3. Slightly larger screen. They also mentioned it had curved glass.

4. 8.7MP + the optical stabilization/floating lens.

5. Phone is 2.3mm wider, 2.5mm taller.

6. They also said they made it sturdier or something like that. That would probably mean more weight.

I guess that adds up to an extra 25 grams of weight. I mean the Lumia 900 was already heavy (compared to iPhone/Samsung's plastic phones) to begin with. Adding more stuff and making it bigger would only increase weight.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

I used to own an E90. Nothing is big and heavy compared to that thing (20mm thick, 210g weight).

To be honest, I think Nokia might just be a bit... poor at making phones thin. The 820 is 9.9mm and 160g, and there's no obvious reason why it shouldn't be less when comparing to the ATIV.

i can't believe someone complain about the weight :|
    Cellus13 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,251 Global Posts
    I think all the manufacturers are making their phones too thin and fragile. How many thread have we seen where someone drops their phone 2ft getting out of their car and shatter the screen. Dave Blake dropped his 1st Titan, I think it was, and his screen shattered

I actually liked the size and weight of the Palm 750. You could play football with the old Palm phones and not break them
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,351 Global Posts
    Reviews I read said it was about the same thickness as the 900 and was light... All acceptable

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    First, the build quality of these Windows Phone 8 handsets is fantastic. Compared to smartphones from vendors such as Samsung (005930), Motorola and LG (066570), Nokia’s Lumia phones are in a completely different league. There are no flimsy plastic covers or cheap-feeling buttons, just a high-quality unibody plastic case that feels terrific in the hand. Granted, we were only able to spend a minute or so with each handset before our Nokia rep was informed by a colleague that the press wasn’t supposed to handle the devices, but it was long enough to confirm the same great build quality seen on the Lumia 900.
    With this quote coming from BGR. I am not worried about weight, build quality, etc. :)
    Thanked by:
    theefman and mister2d like this.

Heavier = premium in today's market. I like a little heft in my phone, makes it feel like it's made out of good materials.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg1 View Post
    This thing is going to weigh 0.41 pounds (versus 0.353 lbs for Lumia 900), versus 0.30 for the Samsung ATIV. Plus, it will be 0.42" thick (versus 0.45 for Lumia 900), versus 0.34" for the ATIV. This is just plain massive. I know- Samsung is flimsy and plastic, but this is just a hulk. This is very disappointing. I like the Lumia 900, but it is still too heavy and too thick. Anyone else feel the same way?
    Buy one and put it on a diet then...

The wireless charging receiver in the inside adds some extra weight.

Samsung has less weight but no wireless charging. Why bother whining about small weight difference? Baby hands can't hold phone that's like 5% heavier?
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
    jfa1, theefman, palandri and 7 others like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    LOL! Yeah the title of the thread is a little over dramatic. When I saw, "Massive Weight", I thought he was talking about pounds. :D
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    2,844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    That's the image I get when reading all these dramatic threads, as if you'll be leaning to one side because of the massive weight of the 920! :dry
    palandri likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    That's the image I get when reading all these dramatic threads, as if you'll be leaning to one side because of the massive weight of the 920! :dry
    My wife complains when I buy 40lbs bag of cat litter, instead of 20lbs bag. That I can understand. :D

Quote Originally Posted by hbg1 View Post
    Do you really buy your phone based on a weight threshold?

Global Posts
    1,437 Global Posts
    I heard chicks dig thicker, im going nokia.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I was really hoping for a 4.3" screen in a smaller package. I don't want a huge phone and always thought that the HTC Trophy was a great sized device. If they had been able to pack in a larger screen without making the phone much bigger, I would have been sold. As of now, it looks as though I'm going back to Android for the Droid RAZR M but I will definitely keep an eye out for a WP8 phone that better suits my needs. Don't think that I'm knocking what the 920 is, however. The technology going into the screen and the camera is awesome, but the overall package is just too large for my needs. I still plan on picking up a Windows RT tablet though.
    Last edited by scout_313; 09-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast