Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree14Likes
  1. robshoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've currently got an iPhone 4 (not 4s), and my family is upgrading their phones (including mine) later this week—possibly even tomorrow.

    Despite all the WP8/7.8 drama, I'm still going to go with a Lumia 900. I've gone into an AT&T store and played with the phone for a long time, and I can live just fine with the camera quality and lower-res screen (the way the colors pop really makes up for it :lol:). The only concerns I have are apps.

    Really, there were only three that worried me: Instagram, Words with Friends, and Draw Something. Since we now know that the latter two are at least in development, that's calmed my nerves a bit. Is there any Instagram news that I'm missing?

    Aside from Instagram, I was wondering if you could give me some tips on which apps to download. I'm really unfamiliar with the WP marketplace, so I could really use some tips.

    Like, what's the best Twitter app? The best Foursquare app? The best Tumblr app? The best way to interact with Gmail? The best YouTube app? The best Wikipedia app? The best games for WP?

    Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm about as much of a noobie as I could be :P. Thanks for taking the time to read all this. :)
  2. Eject_Porkins's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #2  
    Unless you absolutely need a new phone, I recommend holding out until the fall. You'd also do well with a good used phone from Craig's list. The 4 month wait for a Windows Phone 8 device will be worth it in the long run. Also, even though Words With Friends and Draw Something were announced, there's no guarantee they will work on current hardware.
  3. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    #3  
    I'm glad people are still going with the lumia 900 I really like mine and yea i'm not getting the win8 update I will still be ok with the phone .
  4. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #4  
    Give the OP a break. Since robshoy sounds informed and obviosly been following the drama. I think the decision has been made. Here are my recommendations for apps:

    For Twitter and FB I use the built in People Hub most times, then use the browser for times I need full functionality.

    Just add Gmail account to phone.

    Foursquare: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...c-00237de2db9e

    YouTube: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...f-a35caaa258c0
  5. Eject_Porkins's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #5  
    Wow, just trying to give my best advice. Sorry OP, apparently waiting an extra few months is a crazy suggestion. Anyways, welcome, and you'll definitely enjoy your new phone. My girlfriend has had an iPhone for a few years and she's looking forward to this fall to make the switch.


    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Give the OP a break. Since robshoy sounds informed and obviosly been following the drama. I think the decision has been made. Here are my recommendations for apps:

    For Twitter and FB I use the built in People Hub most times, then use the browser for times I need full functionality.

    Just add Gmail account to phone.

    Foursquare: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...c-00237de2db9e

    YouTube: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...f-a35caaa258c0
  6. HishamElfar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #6  
    I use Carbon WP for Twitter, the built in functionality of the phone for Facebook.

    4th & Mayor for Foursquare, I don't think there is a Tumblr app, but I could be wrong.

    Everything else I use the browser.
  7. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochi View Post
    Wow, just trying to give my best advice. Sorry OP, apparently waiting an extra few months is a crazy suggestion. Anyways, welcome, and you'll definitely enjoy your new phone. My girlfriend has had an iPhone for a few years and she's looking forward to this fall to make the switch.
    You're right, Mochi. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I came out like a smartass. Friends? :)
  8. Phen0m24's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #8  
    Gleek for Twitter
    4th & Mayor for Foursquare
    Wordament for games
    People Hub and browser for FB
  9. emirozmen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    #9  
    Had my L900 for 5 days now and I absolutely love it!
    I use rowi for twitter.
    Some must have apps are: Whatsapp, ESPN, Weather View, Skype, Marketplace, Tango Video Calls, Nokia Maps, Camera Extras, Pulse, Lists & Things, Connectivity Shortcuts, Cocktail Flow, IMDb, Spotify..... and the list goes on, for me at least :)
  10. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #10  
    Definitely consider Mehdoh for Twitter. For the rest, try this. Go to Marketplace and type in your search criteria; Instagram for example. Take a look at all the apps, 3 stars and above. Be very leery of any 5 star apps with only one or two wordless reviews. Ultimately, app choice is yours alone. Only you know what features are important to you.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
  11. iloveamystery's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #11  
    Until those two Zynga games come out, keep in mind that there are cross platform equivalents: Wordfeud for WWF and Duudle for Draw Something (available on Android but not sure about iOS yet).

    Wordament is a highly recommended game. Very addictive.

    I'd second ninjaap's PrimeTube recommendation. Some people really like Super Tube, but PrimeTube's sharing features are better, which is important to me.

    Have fun with your new Lumia, and don't forgot the WPCentral app!
  12. robshoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #12  
    I should also point out that since I am upgrading the phone through Amazon, the phone is only going to cost me one cent. A one cent Lumia is hard to pass up!

    Thanks for all the app suggestions guys!
  13. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #13  
    When you get the phone, make sure to plug it into Zune and check for phone updates. If it's been sitting on the shelf for a while, you've got a couple updates you need to install.
  14. twint7787's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    #14  
    why would you not wait? Brand new devices come out in like 5 months. You will be stuck in 2 year contract and your pho...ahhh w.e. Do what you want.
    MrBurrrns likes this.
  15. AlexanderMatthews's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #15  
    Because the Lumia is a fantastic device. 7.8 won't just have the start screen as the only upgrade. I'm sure whatever software wise gets upgraded then 7.8 should receive. If you'd rather wait for a hd screen, NFC, and a couple other features then by all means wait, but if that isn't a big deal then get the lumia.
  16. mdram's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    #16  
    I have a Lumia 900 coming this week too. I've read all the debates but honestly, I believe the current 900 will do everything I need especially add LTE and faster HSPA. I'm not a big gamer but I watch a lot of media and need email and web browsing.
  17. #17  
    The 900 on 7.5 is a great device. Not everybody needs to have the latest and greatest. Those that do should wait. Those that don't should have no trouble enjoying their 900 for a couple years.
    Thanked by:
  18. sdreamer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    387 Posts
    #18  
    Glad you came to the conclusion that the Lumia 900 will work for you because it is a pretty solid phone, not because of updates. To answer your question about Instagram, it depends.
    If you're looking for something very close to Instagram's social thing (I've never used it be see that it pretty much uploads a photo to their servers so everyone can see), I'd say Fhotoroom works pretty well. I think Fhotoroom has the best filters out there, you can even use it without having to use Fhotoroom's service. I mainly just use it to apply filters to photos I've taken, then save it to the phone to upload from there; of course you can directly shoot from it and edit it in the app then upload it to their service which I believe also integrates into other Social outlets like Twitter and Facebook.
    If you're looking for a more streamlined UI, Sophiecam works really well, I think this is closest to what Instagram's UI is from what I've seen when friends use it. There isn't a service for this, but rather you can upload directly to Facebook, Twitter or other social networks if I remember correctly. I'd recommend this one if you aren't looking for some backend service, but rather get it straight to your own private social network. One downside is this is only free for a limited time according to the developer, so grab it while you can.
  19. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    428 Posts
    #19  
    for that instagram bit, if facebook does manage to buy it im pretty sure u won't need to worry about it anymore :P

    u'll love the phone, as i have with my 800, download all the Nokia apps, they are so far the most used on my phone lol, aside from those these are pretty useful as well
    ConnectivityShortcuts
    Dictionary.com (ya.. welll... my vocabulary aint that great ok...?)
    Flashlight 7 (or any equivalent, u'll need it occasionally)
    GasBuddy
    PrimeTube
    WPCentral ( :) )
    GoDutch.... ok I'm kidding with this last one, im sry...
  20. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,503 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,508 Global Posts
    #20  
    there are plenty of apps that apply filters and post to facebook. Thats all you really want to do with Instagram isn't it? Instagram as a concept has no value, can't believe FB bought them....what a scam.
  21. ChristianKing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #21  
    I have a Titan and a Lumia 900, but in all honesty, you'd be a FOOL to upgrade to the Lumia 900 or any windows Phone unless you're paying for it outright at this point. Defintely don't renew a contract right now. :dry

    All current windows phones will be useful for another year tops, but after that, developers are going to start building apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 to take advantage of the Windows Phone 8 Software and Hardware advances. Those apps wont be comming to any of the current phones. A smartphone with outdated apps is useless. Save your upgrade for a Windows 8 phone. If you have to get a new phone, buy it from Ebay, CraigsList or a fellow WPCentral member looking to get some cash to put towards a Windows Phone 8 device.

    It's not about the new tech, its the fact that all current windows phones including the Lumia 900 will be dead in 12 months. If you think developers are going to keep rolling out apps for both generation of devices, you're going to find out the hard way you're wrong. As a developer, I'm going to update my Tango/Mango apps for 6 months (Max), then migrate everything to the Windows 8 Toolkits so I can sell on Tablets, Desktops and Phones using one codebase. There are a lot more Desktop and soon to be tablet users than there are Windows Phone users, so getting the new codebase out is purely an economic decision. I'll take the hit on potential loss of Tango/Mango sales to add Tablet and Desktop sales from the same codebase

    If you're smart, you'll take this advice. I'm a developer and I'm just being honest about my plan to make money from apps moving forward. Current Windows Phone devices aren't going to be relevant by spring of next year as the Metro Tablet and Desktop App gold rush begin. Windows Phone apps are comming along for the ride because it doesn't cost anything extra to create them. However they will be based on the Windows Phone 8 which wont run on any current device.
  22. robshoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianKing View Post
    I have a Titan and a Lumia 900, but in all honesty, you'd be a FOOL to upgrade to the Lumia 900 or any windows Phone unless you're paying for it outright at this point. Defintely don't renew a contract right now. :dry

    All current windows phones will be useful for another year tops, but after that, developers are going to start building apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 to take advantage of the Windows Phone 8 Software and Hardware advances. Those apps wont be comming to any of the current phones. A smartphone with outdated apps is useless. Save your upgrade for a Windows 8 phone. If you have to get a new phone, buy it from Ebay, CraigsList or a fellow WPCentral member looking to get some cash to put towards a Windows Phone 8 device.

    It's not about the new tech, its the fact that all current windows phones including the Lumia 900 will be dead in 12 months. If you think developers are going to keep rolling out apps for both generation of devices, you're going to find out the hard way you're wrong. As a developer, I'm going to update my Tango/Mango apps for 6 months (Max), then migrate everything to the Windows 8 Toolkits so I can sell on Tablets, Desktops and Phones using one codebase. There are a lot more Desktop and soon to be tablet users than there are Windows Phone users, so getting the new codebase out is purely an economic decision. I'll take the hit on potential loss of Tango/Mango sales to add Tablet and Desktop sales from the same codebase

    If you're smart, you'll take this advice. I'm a developer and I'm just being honest about my plan to make money from apps moving forward. Current Windows Phone devices aren't going to be relevant by spring of next year as the Metro Tablet and Desktop App gold rush begin. Windows Phone apps are comming along for the ride because it doesn't cost anything extra to create them. However they will be based on the Windows Phone 8 which wont run on any current device.
    I respect the fact that you're a developer and all, but here's some friendly advice from a normal user: Stop thinking so much about apps.

    What are the most-used apps on most users' phones? Facebook. Twitter. A note pad. A tip calculator. Angry birds. A weather app. Maybe Foursquare. Maybe a couple of other casual games. Maybe something like Fandango to buy movie tickets or Shazam to figure out what song is playing, but I think even then we're getting into niche situations.

    The truth is that with Windows Phone 8, none of those apps will run any better or any differently. A higher-resolution screen isn't going to dramatically alter my experience when I'm checking the weather or calculating how much I should tip at dinner. A dual-core processor (or higher) won't dramatically change how I check into my favorite spots around the city in Foursquare or check on my friends' Facebook pages. NFC might change how I pay for coffee or movie tickets... except that most businesses have no clue what NFC is and it's still a year or two from being relevant.

    If you're going to make an average (keyword here) 7.5 user jealous of WP8, there's really only two avenues you can go down: The first is hardware, and the second is end-user interface features.

    Hardware would be a fair argument. "Wait for a better camera" or "wait for a better screen" are things that users experience and understand the value of. "Wait for a dual-core processor" is a dead-end argument for the 90%, because they'll just say "My phone already runs super-fast and smooth, and I never notice any lag".

    As for end-user interface features, we're getting most if not all of them in 7.8, so that's a dead-end argument too.

    I'm an educated user who has done the research, and I've made up my mind—as have hundreds or thousands of people who are still going to buy Lumias in the next few months. They're great phones that are still going to be upgraded and supported by both companies (Nokia and Microsoft) for a fair amount of time to come. But most importantly, they're great phones now, and our experience from Day One is only going to get better.
  23. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    484 Posts
    Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
    I respect the fact that you're a developer and all, but here's some friendly advice from a normal user: Stop thinking so much about apps.

    What are the most-used apps on most users' phones? Facebook. Twitter. A note pad. A tip calculator. Angry birds. A weather app. Maybe Foursquare. Maybe a couple of other casual games. Maybe something like Fandango to buy movie tickets or Shazam to figure out what song is playing, but I think even then we're getting into niche situations.

    The truth is that with Windows Phone 8, none of those apps will run any better or any differently. A higher-resolution screen isn't going to dramatically alter my experience when I'm checking the weather or calculating how much I should tip at dinner. A dual-core processor (or higher) won't dramatically change how I check into my favorite spots around the city in Foursquare or check on my friends' Facebook pages. NFC might change how I pay for coffee or movie tickets... except that most businesses have no clue what NFC is and it's still a year or two from being relevant.

    If you're going to make an average (keyword here) 7.5 user jealous of WP8, there's really only two avenues you can go down: The first is hardware, and the second is end-user interface features.

    Hardware would be a fair argument. "Wait for a better camera" or "wait for a better screen" are things that users experience and understand the value of. "Wait for a dual-core processor" is a dead-end argument for the 90%, because they'll just say "My phone already runs super-fast and smooth, and I never notice any lag".

    As for end-user interface features, we're getting most if not all of them in 7.8, so that's a dead-end argument too.

    I'm an educated user who has done the research, and I've made up my mind—as have hundreds or thousands of people who are still going to buy Lumias in the next few months. They're great phones that are still going to be upgraded and supported by both companies (Nokia and Microsoft) for a fair amount of time to come. But most importantly, they're great phones now, and our experience from Day One is only going to get better.
    Exactly - I use my phone all the time for lots of things and I still don't get what some "power users" are doing with their devices that makes them unhappy with WP 7.5/7.8.

    Here's what I use my phone for :

    Calls, Texts, Calendar Appointments, Banking, Weather, Games (rarely), Internet Browsing, Sports Scores/Fantasy Football, Reading Books (rarely), News, Pictures (rarely), Movie Times (rarely), Podcasts, Music, Navigation, Calculator, Shopping, Reminders, Office (rarely)

    I get everyone has different use cases, but I believe my use mirrors a lot of "average" users out there. Nothing on that list will change dramatically with WP8. Yes, gaming will, but I rarely game on the phone, only when sitting waiting at the doctor's office or DMV or something. Everything else can be done on the Lumia, and will be able to be done on the Lumia, for years - ESPECIALLY since it has LTE on board and that is a "next gen" feature.
  24. ChristianKing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
    I respect the fact that you're a developer and all, but here's some friendly advice from a normal user: Stop thinking so much about apps.

    What are the most-used apps on most users' phones? Facebook. Twitter. A note pad. A tip calculator. Angry birds. A weather app. Maybe Foursquare. Maybe a couple of other casual games. Maybe something like Fandango to buy movie tickets or Shazam to figure out what song is playing, but I think even then we're getting into niche situations.

    The truth is that with Windows Phone 8, none of those apps will run any better or any differently. A higher-resolution screen isn't going to dramatically alter my experience when I'm checking the weather or calculating how much I should tip at dinner. A dual-core processor (or higher) won't dramatically change how I check into my favorite spots around the city in Foursquare or check on my friends' Facebook pages. NFC might change how I pay for coffee or movie tickets... except that most businesses have no clue what NFC is and it's still a year or two from being relevant.

    If you're going to make an average (keyword here) 7.5 user jealous of WP8, there's really only two avenues you can go down: The first is hardware, and the second is end-user interface features.

    Hardware would be a fair argument. "Wait for a better camera" or "wait for a better screen" are things that users experience and understand the value of. "Wait for a dual-core processor" is a dead-end argument for the 90%, because they'll just say "My phone already runs super-fast and smooth, and I never notice any lag".

    As for end-user interface features, we're getting most if not all of them in 7.8, so that's a dead-end argument too.

    I'm an educated user who has done the research, and I've made up my mind—as have hundreds or thousands of people who are still going to buy Lumias in the next few months. They're great phones that are still going to be upgraded and supported by both companies (Nokia and Microsoft) for a fair amount of time to come. But most importantly, they're great phones now, and our experience from Day One is only going to get better.
    Let's examine the two sections I've highlighted. My goal isn't to stop you from buying a Lumia, it's to help you understand why you're going to make a bad decision in doing so.

    The first statement I highlighted identifies you're belief that the apps on our Lumia 900 won't be any different (for a while from the windows phone 8 apps). Microsoft would like for you to believe that, but the truth is that the same version of the apps you're using today will be the same version you'll be using a year form now. You aren't going to get the improvements or what some would classify as the improved experience, because those will be on the Windows 8 Codebase which your phone won't run. Facebook, Twitter and all those standard essential apps won't get updated. They'll give you the line of the native Windows Phone functionality will suffice while we build our improvements on the new codebase. How do i know this, we discussed it at the developer summit. Believe it or not, Developers make decision primarily on user base and money. Both will be more readily available on a Windows 8 compatible codebase.

    Let's talk about your product education. You have done your research and you like the product (I did also, I purchased a 900 and all the accessories also), but clearly your education isn't being applied to historical practices from both Microsoft and Nokia. Microsoft essentially dropped the Zune Like a Hot potato, not because they didn't love it and it wasn't great, but primarily because Windows phone required them to dedicate their resources to that project. Thus, no more apps on Zune, no more relevant updates on Zune, Nn more Zune. Nokia if you've noticed is in dire financial straits. Now they can't afford to totally abandon their users so they threw us a bone with a few apps that were in the pipeline. I had Playto from their developer site 3 weeks ago. But don't kid yourself. They are eager to compete with Google and Apple with hardware and high quality apps and to do so they need to leverage the new hardware. Their new apps won't be ported back because they'll use NFC, extra cores for imaging and mapping and all the other parts of Windows Phone 8 that haven’t even been announced yet like native skydrive support and Hardware dependent security access.

    I to would like to believe that Nokia wouldn't do that, but that ship has sailed. You should understand that they announced that they cut their revenue projections to investors by 41% for a reason. Their message is we’re going to get crushed the next 6 months but we will reboot in the winter with a real competitor to Apple and Google on all fronts, Tablets and Hybrid devices included. They told you all you need to know, now you just need to think it through. Then again you can do as you clearly already plan to do. But I can say with 100% certainty, short of just wanting the Lumia 900 in 8 months you're going to be abandoned and todays thinking will be tomorrows i can't believe they would do this.

    Good luck. The Lumia is a cool device, in fact, i'll sell you mine for a good price if you want it. ;)
    Thanked by:
    Neofire and MrBurrrns like this.
  25. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    567 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianKing View Post

    It's not about the new tech, its the fact that all current windows phones including the Lumia 900 will be dead in 12 months. If you think developers are going to keep rolling out apps for both generation of devices, you're going to find out the hard way you're wrong. As a developer, I'm going to update my Tango/Mango apps for 6 months (Max), then migrate everything to the Windows 8 Toolkits so I can sell on Tablets, Desktops and Phones using one codebase. There are a lot more Desktop and soon to be tablet users than there are Windows Phone users, so getting the new codebase out is purely an economic decision. I'll take the hit on potential loss of Tango/Mango sales to add Tablet and Desktop sales from the same codebase
    So you speak for the millions of developers around the world? You make good points, but just saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianKing View Post
    Let's examine the two sections I've highlighted. My goal isn't to stop you from buying a Lumia, it's to help you understand why you're going to make a bad decision in doing so.

    The first statement I highlighted identifies you're belief that the apps on our Lumia 900 won't be any different (for a while from the windows phone 8 apps). Microsoft would like for you to believe that, but the truth is that the same version of the apps you're using today will be the same version you'll be using a year form now. ...
    I to would like to believe that Nokia wouldn't do that, but that ship has sailed. You should understand that they announced that they cut their revenue projections to investors by 41% for a reason. Their message is we’re going to get crushed the next 6 months but we will reboot in the winter with a real competitor to Apple and Google on all fronts, Tablets and Hybrid devices included. They told you all you need to know, now you just need to think it through. Then again you can do as you clearly already plan to do. But I can say with 100% certainty, short of just wanting the Lumia 900 in 8 months you're going to be abandoned and todays thinking will be tomorrows i can't believe they would do this.
    Again valid points, but you forget that while the apps may change and offer an improved experience as long as he and his personal, subjective test of what's tolerable is still met with the same apps on his Lumia, does any of the improved experience or new bells and whistles matter?

    I'm not saying they won't. They probably will but he's clearly looking for the short-mid term and if he needs to upgrade I think this guy probably has no qualms about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions