Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

I can talk for hours about my frustrations. I'll be very brief, for the sake of sanity.

I also have a Samsung Focus and it takes great pictures. The Nokia Lumia 900 is another issue. Although I'm loving the phone, the camera is awful.

Was at a wedding yesterday. (during the day) Low light fotos are virtually useless.

Took some pictures inside of my house last night. (with lights on) The pictures were way below average. The colors were not true and the fotos blurry. When the TV screen (on) was part of the picture, it was usually just a big white square, and if anything, the images on the TV were undetectable and with terrible colors. (with the focus, I could take a picture of the TV screen even from a distance, and it was perfect)

This morning I took some more pictures from inside the house. (brightly lit by sunlight) A couple of them were ok. Most were unfocused, and if there was just a little too much light, most of the picture was just white areas.

I've gone as far as trying some suggestions found through this site for taking better pictures with the Lumia. Nothing works.

I know that phones are not made to substitute cameras, but the feature does have a purpose. I make short business trips, and would like the convenience of not carrying my digital cameras and being able to take quick snapshots during travel, at meetings, etc.

Please help. (had the Lumia 900 for 4 days)
    Jazmac likes this.

Global Posts
    8,731 Global Posts
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:
    Pastorhss likes this.

Thanks for your response palandri:

I'll review it asap. I really need to solve this.

I'll get back, later.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I'm coming from a Inspire 4g, which is known to have a pretty good camera. With the right settings, the Lumia is almost as good as the Inspire for me. The key to low light is to ditch the auto iso. You may even want to bump the exposure up a stop or more.
    Thanked by:
    Pastorhss likes this.

Thanks rdef. I'll be reviewing palandri's link and testing your suggestions, later.

In the meantime, through this forum I found a recommendation for "Cool Camera". I interrupted my agenda 15 mins to take some fotos. What a great difference!
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    It's been said in other threads but is worth saying again. The camera in the Lumia 900 is fantastic; if you take the time to learn how to use it. I think most people just want a point and shoot. If they don't get it, they complain. I'd gamble Nokia will release a software update to cater to the "Auto-Only" crowd.
    -joe-
    Had 'em all. Every iPhone since day one, Androids out the ****.
    DVP, Lumia 900, now a Yellow 920. Windows Phone is elegant, simple. Nuff Said.
    Some Stuff
    Jazmac likes this.

Global Posts
    8,731 Global Posts
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    In 2011 most camera sensors were switched to backside illumination. For some reason, Nokia decided to pass on it and sacrifice a TON of light sensitivity.

I bet people can and will take beautiful pictures with it. But let's not pretend the camera is amazing. It does kinda suck comparatively.
    Thanked by:
    Winterfang likes this.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uscdigital View Post
    In 2011 most camera sensors were switched to backside illumination. For some reason, Nokia decided to pass on it and sacrifice a TON of light sensitivity.

I bet people can and will take beautiful pictures with it. But let's not pretend the camera is amazing. It does kinda suck comparatively.
    I'm not sure why they didn't put the 12MP sensor from the N8 in the 900. I think it is backside illuminated. Even 2 years later, and it still holds its own against other sensors in high end smartphones, including the iPhone 4S.

It may be possible they couldn't get it to fit in the body, because the N9 (which is of similar design to the 900) only had an 8MP sensor, and it was released a year after the N8.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    I'm not sure why they didn't put the 12MP sensor from the N8 in the 900. I think it is backside illuminated. Even 2 years later, and it still holds its own against other sensors in high end smartphones, including the iPhone 4S.

It may be possible they couldn't get it to fit in the body, because the N9 (which is of similar design to the 900) only had an 8MP sensor, and it was released a year after the N8.
    Only reason I can think they would put a subpar camera sensor in the 900 is to cut costs

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisz5z View Post
    Only reason I can think they would put a subpar camera sensor in the 900 is to cut costs
    That would make sense, since they did price it at $99 and off contract it's only $449.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    And yet the 900 still costs substantially more to manufacture than the iPhone 4S. The 900 camera is just not up to par with what comparable iOS or Android phones offer.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    And yet the 900 still costs substantially more to manufacture than the iPhone 4S. The 900 camera is just not up to par with what comparable iOS or Android phones offer.
    Well first, the Lumia 900 is manufactured in Korea, so that may make a difference.

Secondly, Apple gets large discounts because they put in such huge orders.

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    Isn't it the same sensor as the 800's? I was under the impression that the camera suffered from the physical design that started with the N9. The N8 has a chunky protrusion, and the PureView is even crazier. Just glancing at the N9's profile and camera sensor let me know that the camera wasn't the focus.

Those mockups of a Lumia PureView we saw a while ago don't seem too far-fetched to me. If you're after the camera, you'll either be dealing with a module sticking out the back, or you really have to design around the module. The N9 chassis wasn't designed with a PureView or N8 camera module in mind.

Global Posts
    3,240 Global Posts

You're crazy if you think the camera on the 900 compares to even the iPhone 4. It's not BSI and it is vastly inferior to my iPhone 4's camera. No amount of settings will fix the weak non-BSI sensor.

I even had the camera "app" completely lock up and then failed to launch and I had to reboot the phone at a wedding 2 weeks ago. I was glad I had my iPhone in my jacket pocket then as backup.

The BSI sensor is only a small part of the problem. Even in good light situations the camera is very MEH. Yes you can tinker with the camera a bit to make it better but you shouldn't have to. It should just take good pictures out of the box like almost every modern phone does.

If the next Nokia phone (WP8) doesn't have an AMAZING camera I'll not be buying another Nokia phone again.

I do love my Lumia 900 but the camera is a deal breaker - totally and completely.
    PhilR8 likes this.

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeaux View Post
    It's been said in other threads but is worth saying again. The camera in the Lumia 900 is fantastic; if you take the time to learn how to use it. I think most people just want a point and shoot. If they don't get it, they complain. I'd gamble Nokia will release a software update to cater to the "Auto-Only" crowd.
    -joe-
    Can you post some pictures that you've personally taken? Preferably more than one, and some taken in a variety of settings/situations.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Well first, the Lumia 900 is manufactured in Korea, so that may make a difference.

Secondly, Apple gets large discounts because they put in such huge orders.
    Exactly. Apple has a HUGE economy of scale advantage that no one can match. There is no single smartphone model in that class that is made in numbers that the iPhone is as far as I know. Apple makes at least 20x more iPhones than Nokia does Lumia 900's in a year and they have been making this model, or very similar models that share many parts for years now AND they make them in giant Chinese factories where they are notorious for keeping strict control over costs.

But Nokia will catch up with the Lumia, they are no strangers to mass production and leveraging the economy of scale, in fact it's something that Nokia has been known to be very very good at itself for years.

Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Isn't it the same sensor as the 800's? I was under the impression that the camera suffered from the physical design that started with the N9. The N8 has a chunky protrusion, and the PureView is even crazier. Just glancing at the N9's profile and camera sensor let me know that the camera wasn't the focus.

Those mockups of a Lumia PureView we saw a while ago don't seem too far-fetched to me. If you're after the camera, you'll either be dealing with a module sticking out the back, or you really have to design around the module. The N9 chassis wasn't designed with a PureView or N8 camera module in mind.
    your right, but didn't they fix the 800's problems with software? So why not carry over the same fixes to the 900?

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sting2k7 View Post
    You're crazy if you think the camera on the 900 compares to even the iPhone 4. It's not BSI and it is vastly inferior to my iPhone 4's camera. No amount of settings will fix the weak non-BSI sensor.

I even had the camera "app" completely lock up and then failed to launch and I had to reboot the phone at a wedding 2 weeks ago. I was glad I had my iPhone in my jacket pocket then as backup.
    I don't see where I ever said that the 900 has a good camera. I was talking about the 12MP sensor in the Nokia N8.
    Banned

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    That's because Apple produces and sells way more phones than Nokia does Lumias. When you have that kind of buying power, you get significantly better deals since you order more.

The L900 internals are not really great though, it's true. It's not designed to be great. It's a mid-range device with a decent design and attractive price. That's the draw to it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Exactly. Apple has a HUGE economy of scale advantage that no one can match. There is no single smartphone model in that class that is made in numbers that the iPhone is as far as I know. Apple makes at least 20x more iPhones than Nokia does Lumia 900's in a year and they have been making this model, or very similar models that share many parts for years now AND they make them in giant Chinese factories where they are notorious for keeping strict control over costs.

But Nokia will catch up with the Lumia, they are no strangers to mass production and leveraging the economy of scale, in fact it's something that Nokia has been known to be very very good at itself for years.
    Nokia has been very good at doing that with cheap low margin feature phones. Nokia has never really been a contender in the high margin high end smartphone market since forever. Before WP7, they were basically locked out of the US market cause no one care about their devices, Lol.

Saying Nokia will catch up because they know how to produce tons of cheap feature phones is like saying RIM will catch up cause they know how to produce tons of cheap BB Curve smartphones...

I'm pretty sure even LG is beating Nokia in high end smartphone salves right now. If they want to catch up they have to do it fast, cause the competition is not standing still.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    Nokia has been very good at doing that with cheap low margin feature phones. Nokia has never really been a contender in the high margin high end smartphone market since forever. Before WP7, they were basically locked out of the US market cause no one care about their devices, Lol.

Saying Nokia will catch up because they know how to produce tons of cheap feature phones is like saying RIM will catch up cause they know how to produce tons of cheap BB Curve smartphones...
    I think the problem was no carrier supported or subsidized Nokia phones, and if a phone has no carrier support, it will not sell very well in the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post

I'm pretty sure even LG is beating Nokia in high end smartphone salves right now. If they want to catch up they have to do it fast, cause the competition is not standing still.
    Oh really?

Smartphones shipped in 2010:

Nokia 100.1 mil
    Samsung 23.9 mil
    Apple 47.5 mil

edit. Actually Nokia was selling still 12 million more smartphones per quarter than it's nearest competitor Apple when Elop announced the move to WP. That's when the market share started to dropping like a brick last year.
    Last edited by DungMasterFang; 05-30-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    The camera on my 900 is def an upgrade from the 3GS i had...but the touch screen focus doesn't seem to work. Is this true for all 900? I feel as though even my old 3GS could get better close up pictures.
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ejb222 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejb222/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast