Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree2Likes
  1. fig#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
       #1  
    Gosh......this really sucks. I've been feeling down all day. I've only had this Lumia 900 for a week and now baaam....crack display (accidently dropped from the waist). I thought this phone would be tough enough to withstand a drop from the waist. Wasn't this phone supposed to use some sort of gorrilla glass? Or did I misread the specs
    I don't know what I should do. I do have ATT's insurance included with my plan. But I think the deductible will be around $199. That's more than what I wanted to pay.
    Anyhow, for those who own a Lumia 900, this is a precaution as the display is a bit fragile and may not be made of gorrilla glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lumia-900.jpg  
  2. sideshot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #2  
    yikes i just checked nokia website
    Display technology

    Corning Gorilla Glass
    AMOLED
    ClearBlack
  3. IceCrush's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    47 Posts
    #3  
    don't think thats a normal drop O.o
  4. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #4  
    I think it really just depends on how it landed. I had the Titan dropped it from waist high and it completely shattered the screen but it landed face down.
  5. Ethere's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #5  
    I know it sucks, but that definitely is unusable in it's current state. I know there's a lot of third party shops around that will replace the displays. It may be cheaper to go that route rather than using your AT&T insurance.
  6. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #6  
    Post us a picture if you can.
  7. elmopio's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #7  
    That is a bad *** drop. Looks like the main impact happened top right hand corner. What insurance plan did you decide on?
  8. #8  
    Gorilla Glass is only advertised as being more scratch-resistant. If you have the dropsies, get a case. Sorry about your phone, man.
  9. dangish's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #9  
    deductible is $125
  10. ftap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #10  
    Did u buy with American Express? They have 90 day accidental protection warranty (for price paid of phone , not retail but true out of pocket cost)
  11. nascarnate326's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    #11  
    Damn, that sucks.

    Ive got mine in a case just for that reason.

    Screens are 179 on eBay :(
    Original LCD Screen Touch Digitizer Assembly for at&t Nokia Lumia 900 Nok-Lum9 | eBay
  12. tlo07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,104 Global Posts
    #12  
    Just be glad you have insurance! The deductible is still cheaper than retail!
  13. #13  
    I would use a 3rd party shop. I used igsm wireless solutions out of Belevue, Wa. It cost $75 for the cost of the screen and labor.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  14. XboxOmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    #14  
    That doesn't look like a drop. O.o

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  15. JetLife87's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #15  
    I'd call Nokia and see how much repairs are. Apple would repair broken screens for less than the deductible at&t charges. So yeah, call Nokia
    Last edited by Jet Life; 04-14-2012 at 12:15 PM.
  16. hasasimo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,150 Posts
    #16  
    Holy crap. The Lumia 900 is supposed to be the same materials as the 800. I dropped my 800 a bunch of times, including face down on concrete once, and I didn't even get a scratch on the glass.

    Stupid question, but are you sure this was only a waist-high drop?
  17. vantil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #17  
    Ouch. That sucks.
    Anyway gorilla glass is not unbreakable, just hard to scratch.
  18. #18  
    Gorilla Glass is xyz resistant and not xyz proof. I dropped my Samsung Focus a month after I got it last year and cracked the Gorilla Glass as well. Cost me $150 to replace the digitizer from Samsung.

    Put a screen protector and a case around it.

    Good luck.
  19. hary536's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by fig View Post
    Gosh......this really sucks. I've been feeling down all day. I've only had this Lumia 900 for a week and now baaam....crack display (accidently dropped from the waist). I thought this phone would be tough enough to withstand a drop from the waist. Wasn't this phone supposed to use some sort of gorrilla glass? Or did I misread the specs
    I don't know what I should do. I do have ATT's insurance included with my plan. But I think the deductible will be around $199. That's more than what I wanted to pay.
    Anyhow, for those who own a Lumia 900, this is a precaution as the display is a bit fragile and may not be made of gorrilla glass.
    1. Generally Gorilla glass is known as scratch-resistant not break-resistant.
    2. The physics behind the drop is that, it all depends on the angle and moment of impact.
    So, as an example it is very possible that a phone dropped from 1ft height can break compared to a phone dropped from 3 ft height, all depending on the angle and moment of impact.

    So, that's why even though Nokia's phones or any other phones are durable and solidly built, there is no guarantee against damage from drop.
    As they say YMMV.

    You were unlucky. That's all we can say.
  20. hasasimo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,150 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hary536 View Post
    1. Generally Gorilla glass is known as scratch-resistant not break-resistant.
    2. The physics behind the drop is that, it all depends on the angle and moment of impact.
    So, as an example it is very possible that a phone dropped from 1ft height can break compared to a phone dropped from 3 ft height, all depending on the angle and moment of impact.

    So, that's why even though Nokia's phones or any other phones are durable and solidly built, there is no guarantee against damage from drop.
    As they say YMMV.

    You were unlucky. That's all we can say.
    Well it depends on the density of the glass as well. Some companies use a thicker block of glass. By most accounts, the glass on the Lumia 800 is a little thicker (and probably more crack-resistant) than the 900. Still, the Lumia 900's build quality (including glass) easily eclipse that of, say, the iPhone.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 
  21. Grenzeloos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post
    Damn, that sucks.

    Ive got mine in a case just for that reason.

    Screens are 179 on eBay :(
    Original LCD Screen Touch Digitizer Assembly for at&t Nokia Lumia 900 Nok-Lum9 | eBay
    They seem easy to change though. One piece with a simple connector to the mother board.
  22. hiko36's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    47 Posts
    #22  
    The Lumia 900 is incredibly easy to disassemble. There's a teardown video on this site:

    Nokia Lumia 900 teardown reveals mediocre hardware, reasons for great price | TechRepublic
  23. fig#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
       #23  
    thanks guys for the suggestions. And I did drop from the waist high. It dropped on the particular corner. I guess i'll just go through the insurance through ATT. it is better than buying a new phone. Thanks guys
  24. blshvk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #24  
    my brother's lumia 800 screen also cracked af... on Twitpic

    my brother's lumia 800 with a cracked screen. Nokia care charged SGD207 to have the screen repaired.
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by fig View Post
    thanks guys for the suggestions. And I did drop from the waist high. It dropped on the particular corner. I guess i'll just go through the insurance through ATT. it is better than buying a new phone. Thanks guys
    did you have on a screen protector??

    a good one could have minimized the damage as it would have spread the impact around
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions