Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eggdrop
  • 2 Post By Dalek Sec

So does this phone have the sound quality issues the lumia 800 supposedly has? Music is huge to me and it would be a shame if the sound quality is bad.

Bump, nobody listen to music on their lumia with headphones?

What was the issue on the 800? I will be using my 900 tomorrow with my set of Etymotic hf2's. They are fully broken in so if the phone has an issue in quality I will definitely hear it. When I get home I will also try it with a set of broken in Shure SE530's.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by mismo View Post
    So does this phone have the sound quality issues the lumia 800 supposedly has? Music is huge to me and it would be a shame if the sound quality is bad.
    One of the first things I did was load up my 900 with music and take it out for a iPod test drive. Sounds great, no issues that I've experienced.

Incidentally I was using a pair of Bose in ear headphones.

Definitely better than my incredible, I won't really be able to tell until I replace some broken headphones right now i'm using mee m9

On my Skullcandy Aviators is sounds great so far. And that's with using Spotify. I will try a local mp3 in a bit.

mismo likes this.

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    sounds good i have the beats solo HD headphones the nokia sounds way better than the galaxy nexus that i used prior to selling it and using my htc surround until today when my lumia arrived its good sounds all the way i will test it in my car with streaming over bluetooth audio and follow up with that as well.

Global Posts
    1,400 Global Posts
    I have Beats studio, sounds way better than focus S...Not sure if better than iphone since wp7 doesnt seem to have the ability to adjust sound settings for music. Unless i am blind...

lmao i can tell there is no audiophiles in here.

saw cell phone quality music, skullcandy (lol), and other things...

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7inchesNBPEL View Post

What about the dude with the Etymotics and the Shures? Come on, he must count right?

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    is there an app that will allow us access to a equalizer app

Don't know how the 900 compares to the 4s but compared to the titan and galaxy s its much better. I use a pair of sennheiser 650's and ultimate ears triple fi 10's and I don't hear the pops between songs or navigating the os while playing music. The sound quality overall is better, like the zune hd, which is good because my titian's sounded awful. Nokia is much easier on the ears.

Best sounding windows phone I've used. (Used the focus, surround, and titan)
    tissotti and mismo like this.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

It's reassuring that it sounds better than your galaxy S, considering thats supposedly one of the best sounding phones out there. Looks like my one fear for this phone will hopefully be put to rest.

I'm an audiophile and I think they sound great, it actually surprised me
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeagl View Post
    Definitely better than my incredible, I won't really be able to tell until I replace some broken headphones right now i'm using mee m9

LOL! Talk about being better than everyone. I mentioned the Aviators but also mentioned my hf2's and SE530's. I also have a set of Westone 4's and countless other audiophile headsets. I don't see why the point of your post was. If you really want to speak about audiophiles than you should realize that an audiophile will not use his cellphone as a dedicated player. None of the cellphones out today can actually take advantage of headphones like the 530's or the Westone's. Please leave your pompous attitude at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by nokia4life View Post
    is there an app that will allow us access to a equalizer app
    I'm interested in this, too. A bit annoying there is no way to tailor the sound to individual tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by mismo View Post
    Can you describe the issues on the 800? I'm not familiar with them.

I'm using Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10's. Tried both my Focus and the Lumia 900 and my old Zune HD. I'd rate them from lowest to highest, Focus, L900 and Zune HD, however the L900 is closer to the Focus than the Zune (which had very good AQ). There wasn't much discernable difference between the Focus and L900, L900 seemed to have a milder high end and fuller mid-range, although that could simply be software EQ differences and the next person may put the two in opposite order. If I were to score the Zune HD as a 9 on quality, I'd put the L900 and Focus in the 6-7 range. That's definitiely not so say they're bad. It's by far good enough for me to almost never carry around the Zune anymore. It's just not "audiophile" quality and honestly if that matters to you more than anything else, I'm not entirely sure any phone is going to be good enough.

Also, since someone said there are no audiophiles are here (don't assume, snob), I figure I'd go a step further and test on my regular stereo for you - Emotiva XPA-5 / Onkyo TX-SR786 as a pre, and Martin Logan Vantages. I cringe everytime I play lossy music through these things. Results are pretty much the same as before, however the difference in quality between the two phones and the Zune was much more noticable.

Honestly as long as you take the limitations into account (it's a cell phone, not an audiophile grade device), I'd be surprised if you were unhappy with the L900.

Quote Originally Posted by eggdrop View Post
    What was the issue on the 800? I will be using my 900 tomorrow with my set of Etymotic hf2's. They are fully broken in so if the phone has an issue in quality I will definitely hear it. When I get home I will also try it with a set of broken in Shure SE530's.

Quote Originally Posted by gtbuzz View Post
    Can you describe the issues on the 800? I'm not familiar with them.

I'm using Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10's. Tried both my Focus and the Lumia 900 and my old Zune HD. I'd rate them from lowest to highest, Focus, L900 and Zune HD, however the L900 is closer to the Focus than the Zune (which had very good AQ). There wasn't much discernable difference between the Focus and L900, L900 seemed to have a milder high end and fuller mid-range, although that could simply be software EQ differences and the next person may put the two in opposite order. If I were to score the Zune HD as a 9 on quality, I'd put the L900 and Focus in the 6-7 range. That's definitiely not so say they're bad. It's by far good enough for me to almost never carry around the Zune anymore. It's just not "audiophile" quality and honestly if that matters to you more than anything else, I'm not entirely sure any phone is going to be good enough.

Also, since someone said there are no audiophiles are here (don't assume, snob), I figure I'd go a step further and test on my regular stereo for you - Emotiva XPA-5 / Onkyo TX-SR786 as a pre, and Martin Logan Vantages. I cringe everytime I play lossy music through these things. Results are pretty much the same as before, however the difference in quality between the two phones and the Zune was much more noticable.

Honestly as long as you take the limitations into account (it's a cell phone, not an audiophile grade device), I'd be surprised if you were unhappy with the L900.
    Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 800 disastrous audio quality - Nokia Support Discussions

apparently it was really bad, but it was supposed to be fixed with an update, but I was wondering if maybe it was just a bad dac which software can't really fix

I'm not expecting super audiophile quality, especially considering how cheap the phone is off contract. was really just hoping it would match my iphone 4 or at least not be noticeably worse which seems to be the case

How does the 900 hold up to the iPhone 4/4s?

I noticed there's some static between songs, and the high's seem a little muddier to me, but I don't have the best ear for it.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by amattas View Post
    How does the 900 hold up to the iPhone 4/4s?

I noticed there's some static between songs, and the high's seem a little muddier to me, but I don't have the best ear for it.

Anyone?
    Although after a second listen, maybe it's not muddy compared to the iPhone, the only thing that I really notice is a little background hiss.

The iPhone with the equalizer off seems to have a little harsher high's but I don't know if there is an equalization being applied to the Nokia.