Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crash1989

I use my phone in a Ram Aquabox on my motorcycle handle bars. I use it primarily for GPS, but occasionally like to use the music as well. On my old HTC trophy I could set the lock screen timeout to never, but that option isn't available.

With GPS that isn't a problem because that keeps the screen on, but music players don't (or maybe I just don't have one that does). I can't get to the side button to unlock it, and the double tap feature doesn't seem to work through the aquabox's screen membrane (I have it set to high sensitivity and still no luck, but normal touch commands do).

Is there a way to enable that command (I'm guessing not without some kind of unlocking and hacking that is beyond my level of comprehension), or is there an app that could run in the background and prevent the screen from locking? Or maybe a music player that keeps the screen from locking.

I noticed I can use car dock mode to keep the screen on in the view with the three choices, and I can just go back and forth with that, but if I forget to go back to that screen it locks up.
    Go to setting > lock screen > screen times out after > select never.

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,494 Global Posts
    You can set to never lock easily. Just go to Settings > Lockscreen and at the bottom you can change the screen time out drop down to never.

Hope it works on your device.

That's what I am saying. Never isn't an option on my phone. I do not have a password enabled either as I have heard that causes that option to disappear.

I only have 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes and 5 minutes as options

That's what I was afraid of.

I did find a workaround for my needs. I can use the bluetooth on my helmet to start/pause, and change tracks on most programs (on the podcast app I use, it only plays but won't pause)

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts
    Have you updated to GDR2 and Amber yet? My 928 (also on Verizon) now has the never option with GDR2 and Amber.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

Yes I do. I have read it is due to screen technology in the different phones. AMOLED screens have a tendency to "burn in" an image when left on, where the LCD screens don't. Supposedly Nokia (or maybe the carrier) limits screen lock based on that.

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
    Yes I do. I have read it is due to screen technology in the different phones. AMOLED screens have a tendency to "burn in" an image when left on, where the LCD screens don't. Supposedly Nokia (or maybe the carrier) limits screen lock based on that.
    Ahh that makes sense. Hey at least you have double tap to wake, that should make your problem much more bearable. Best of luck!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

The touch response for double tap seems to be less sensitive than normal touch. It doesn't work through the flexible screen of the aquabox. All other touches do. Oh well I can deal with it.