I'm posting in this thread, not only for help, but to summarize what I believe to be consistent issues for many people using the 822 on T-Mobile with a newer T-Mobile LTE capable SIM card in North America.
It looks like other threads may be getting locked and redirected here for the 822 SMS send issue when using the phone on T-Mobile. This issue I think should stand out as a discussion on it's own. I have been having this issue on an 822 myself on Tmobile.. Here is what I know.
1) Everything works great except sending SMS.
2) My phone had Portico on it when I got it and it never sent SMS on anything but EDGE unless data was turned off.
3) It still does not work after the AMBER update.
4) I have installed Access Point and I get only one option, TMOBILE LTE. I have tried to manually configure a new one without results.
5) I have the correct SMS access #.
6) I have tried with International Dialing assistance on AND off.
I have poured over the threads here, on Tmobile & at Nokia and tried everything short of flashing back to Pre-Portico to resolve this issue and I have had no luck.
The internet APN and MMS APN options now available in the cellular settings, but so far I have not been had any luck trying to configure these, could be I just don't know what I"m doing there.
Lastly, thank you to all who have taken the time to respond and help!