- 05-01-2013, 11:34 PM #1
I am from Mumbai, India. I got a Nokia Lumia 822 White via eBay. I was very impressed with the phone. But I am unable to connect to 3G (Vodafone) and neither is the outgoing SMS working. I found that the phone was updated to the "Portico" version. As evident from the various forums, this update has disabled the outgoing SMS in countries other than US. I planned to reflash to a lower version, but now Nokia seems to have restricted the access and I am unable to download the RM-845 image using NaviFirm. I tried hard and soft resetting the phone many times.
Has anybody faced issues connecting to internet on 822 outside US ?
1. I tried the "Access Point" app. But it does not work. There is one APN (called "Vodafone") and it says that it is is "inactive". When I long press and activate it, it goes back to the "Settings" menu. When I recheck from the "Access Point" Menu, the APN is still "inactive". Added a new APN, but that too sticks to being "inactive". No APN seems to be active any time.
2. I tried setting the various options in "Highest Connection Speed". That too did not work.
Flashing to the Old Image :
1. Is there a way to retrieve the initial image bypassing NaviFirm? Nokia seems to have restricted the image download. So I get the "com.nokia.posti.server.caresuite.webservice.UnauthorizedFault error when I connect via NaviFirm. I read that I will need Nokia Online account. But where do I login ? Also I read that only latest images are provided by Nokia. Can anybody share the original image for Lumia 822 White (the one before "Portico" update)?
New Updates for Lumia 822:
1. I read that some people got updates for Lumia 822 recently (29th April 2013). I tried checking for mine but my phone says it is updated. Is this the update after "Portico" or "Portico" itself (may be they are getting it late. If is the one after "Portico", I will wait for it. Hopefully that should solve some the issues.
I love the phone. But without 3G and the SMS functionality, it is a brick .
Thanks for the help,
- 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM #8
it doesn't mater what region, date or language you choose......If you are not using "verizon wireless sim" then you wont be able to send SMS or even use 3G and 4G services because verizon locked some services with their CDMA network settings inside the rom. It doesn't matter if you have installed "Access Point" app or not coz that app doesn't work in 822.
Yes, you can use 2G internet services (EDGE) and 2G network services with any GSM sim in the world because 822 is never locked for GSM sim usage in the first place. But you have to understand this "ITS A CDMA MOBILE"
- 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM #9
Thanks STREKOZZEL for the links. I am downloading the files now. I will flash it over the weekend.
pankaj981 - I tried setting all to India as soon as I saw your first message. But it was of no use.
WP8addict - Thanks for the information. I understand that Verizon has tied the firmware with its network. Do you think it should at least work with the initial firmware (the one previous to portico)?
- 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM #10
I didn't want to say this before (coz i don't want to speculate). I heard that there's gonna be a major firmware update releasing by May 3rd week for 822 (before the release of 928). Many people are facing heck of problems with 822 and Verizon Wireless is facing a lot of criticism. They are afraid that its gonna effect upcoming 928 sales, so they want to fix all the major issues with 822 before the release of 928.
- 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM #11
here. Has anyone tried flashing it so and been successful? If it is not possible via "Nokia Care Suit", what is the other way ?
- 05-04-2013, 03:54 AM #12
Goto settings > phone > turn off international assist, that should solve sms issues. Once that works, i would suggest manually entering the apn for your service provider in the access point app, set highest connection speed to 3g/4g and restart
- 05-04-2013, 04:00 AM #13
I downloaded the firmware and tried flashing via NCS. But as soon as I connect the phone and click Retry while pressing the "Power" and "Volume Down" buttons, I get an error message from NCS - "Message Send Failed". Also, the phone has a Lightning + Cogwheel symbol on for quite sometime now (~20 mins). I am not sure what to do next. If I remove the battery and try to re-flash, should that work ?
I tried the suggestion here. But my Windows 7 laptop seems to be fine with the Drivers as I can see "WinUSB Device".
- 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM #16
I am almost there but not there :(. I am unable to get the NCS hook on to the phone. I tried with a Windows XP PC where the above error does not occur. But the phone boots successfully and NCS asks me to retry. I tried many times. What is the trick that I am missing ? I tried doing as per the post in wpcentral for flashing L920. I also tried what NCS says on the phone. Both dont work for me :(
Any help is appreciated.
- 05-04-2013, 09:45 AM #17
I downgraded and I got it workingggggggggggggg :D :D :D
- Outgoing SMS - check :)
- 3G services - check :)
- APN configuration - check :)
All is perfect in the world now :P
The trick with hooking NCS with the phone was to keep holding the Volume Down and Power button for a bit more long time. Not to release just once the vibration is felt. I felt a second vibration as I kept holding them and then the flashing started :)
Thanks a lot guys ! I have now kept the Updates set to off. I will update only if Nokia has fixed all the issues. Or else I am happy with this :)
- 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM #19
I couldn't get data to work either using an Airvoice Wireless microSIM. I downloaded the access point app but to no avail, so I flashed the phone back to the original firmware and everything works perfectly now. The process was actually quite simple.
- 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM #23
For working NCS in online mode:
Download this usergroupsconfiguration.cfg file and replace it in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Multi Software Updater 5.0
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0
When prompted for a password, select "CareSuite External".
But this trick allows to download only the latest firmware.
Last edited by STREKOZZEL; 05-14-2013 at 08:30 AM.
- 05-15-2013, 01:56 AM #24
Download Official Nokia Firmware Even Without Navifirm+ | BlinkThinks in Binaries to get the Nokia Care Suite working. Remember NOT to check the "Launch Nokia Care Suite" once the installation is done (also mentioned in the post above).
- By ranjitn2801 in forum Nokia Lumia 822Replies: 19Last Post: 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM
- By peterfares in forum Nokia Lumia 822Replies: 4Last Post: 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
- By Mayank sensharma in forum HTC 8XReplies: 0Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:27 AM
- By Ultimateone in forum Nokia Lumia 822Replies: 14Last Post: 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM
- By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 7Last Post: 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM