Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Howdy again everyone,

    I honestly keep seeing this appear, so I thought I start a thread about cards that work with your 822. My reasons are personal too. I had the phone one, and battled the sd card, which led me to reluctantly return the phone. At the same time, WP8 + SD Card + Verizon seems like a Unicorn to me, and before I go into the store, I want to get a card that should work right. The goal is to walk in and test one while there, so I feel better about my choice (the 2nd time around). Anyway, I'm afraid of the one time return policy (if I get it this time, I'll be stuck with it), so that's in part why I'm trying to line things up with the SD Card.

    Also if you write in this thread, with similar specs on one of these cards or a different card, I'll add it to the list.
    Equally, if you feel there should be additional information please let me know too!

    Current, here's what I've found (as of 2013-02-03):

    Brand Additional Label Type UHS-1 size(gb) class 1080p >SD 720p >SD sync W8 sync W7 sync Mac Notes Url
    Patriot LX HC 0 32 10 0 1 1 ? ? Fails to copy over music and videos regardless of any files already existing on card (can copy pictures) TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
    Patriot HC 0 16 2 1 1 0 ? ?
    SanDisk Ultra XC 0 32 10 1 1 1 ? ? TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
    SanDisk Ultra XC 1 64 10 1 1 1 ? ? has been known to have choppy video play back from card TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
    PNY HC 0 32 10 ? ? 1 1 ? person in forum claimed it synced with windows great TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
    SanDisk HC 0 32 4 1 1 1 ? ? Can't handle more than 25gb of files [music] on them
    Lexmark HC 0 16 10 1 1 ? ? ? no known problems: Am I the only one experiencing system wide sluggishness when SD card is present? TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

    Cheers,
    Kelly
    Last edited by SOMEnameItried; 02-03-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added Lexmark card to the list
  2. Lee B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #2  
    I have exactly the 64GB Sandisk in your link, and I've had no problems with it, though I've seen posts from others who say it didn't work for them. I also have an 822 that has never had problems with reboots, etc., so it may be device-dependent.
  3. the_stig#WN's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,052 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
    I have exactly the 64GB Sandisk in your link, and I've had no problems with it, though I've seen posts from others who say it didn't work for them. I also have an 822 that has never had problems with reboots, etc., so it may be device-dependent.
    Have you tried recording vids to the SD card? Just wondering if it was choppy, like others have experienced.I picked up the Sandisk 32GB class 10 - no problems at all.
  4. dainla's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    #4  
    I've had all kinds of problems with SD cards. At this point I've given up putting music on my phone.

    But, reformatting an SD card on computer, then putting it back in the phone has given me the best results.
  5. Ruined's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    324 Posts
    #5  
    SANDISK 64GB SDXC UHS-I card in NOKIA 822 results in stutter during music playback, and random freezing of the phone when a large number of files are on it when using XBOX Music.

    Attempted to format card with SD organization format util as well, still has same problem.
  6. Lee B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    Have you tried recording vids to the SD card? Just wondering if it was choppy, like others have experienced.I picked up the Sandisk 32GB class 10 - no problems at all.
    I haven't done very much video on the phone, but I haven't seen a problem with record/playback on the SD card.
  7. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,757 Global Posts
    #7  
    A couple of years ago, there was a professional photographers site that did extensive testing on SD cards with write speed, read speed, number of rewrites...etc...They found a lot of cards that didn't even come close to the specs they said they were. Like they were rated a 6, but their testing showed it to be no better than a 2. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I always thought SanDisk made the best SD card out there, but their testing always put Lexar as the best and I had never heard of Lexar before.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  8. Lee B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #8  
    I haven't used Xbox -- I imported my music from iTunes -- so far, about 10 GB on a 64GB card. I haven't had any stuttering, freezing, or file problems.
  9.    #9  
    Sorry for being a little late, I wasn't able to connect to the Internets. I added the one comment in the San Disk 64gb area for notes. I recall in the forum notes on another brand of card, so I'll hunt that down in a bit and try to add it too.

    Thanks y'all!
    Kelly
  10.    #10  
    Is it cool if I compress these urls with something like tiny url?
  11. Ruined's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    324 Posts
    #11  
    OK I've now tried both a Sandisk 64gb SDXC UHC-I card as well as a Sandisk 32GB Class 4 card. Both cards have the same problem when they have more than 25gb of music on them.

    The problem with freezing etc is NOT THE CARDS. There is a bug that when there are a lot of files on the card it overloads the music app and freezes the phone. Easily duplicated, it seems to occur once you get into the multi-thousands of MP3s.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    A couple of years ago, there was a professional photographers site that did extensive testing on SD cards with write speed, read speed, number of rewrites...etc...They found a lot of cards that didn't even come close to the specs they said they were. Like they were rated a 6, but their testing showed it to be no better than a 2. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I always thought SanDisk made the best SD card out there, but their testing always put Lexar as the best and I had never heard of Lexar before.
    Interesting... I'm not a pro photog, but I've got a couple of Lexar CF cards that I use in my Canon 50D, and I've never had problems with them. I think this is only the second or third time I've bought SanDisk, and I did so because so many people were reporting problems so I wanted the big name. My mistake.....
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  13.    #13  
    I've updated more info on here.

    Also, I recall conversations around here with Nokia suggesting cards, but I don't recall the references and if they're actually cards or just basic specs. I'll look around for those later and try to figure it out.
  14. Raptor007's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    A couple of years ago, there was a professional photographers site that did extensive testing on SD cards with write speed, read speed, number of rewrites...etc...They found a lot of cards that didn't even come close to the specs they said they were. Like they were rated a 6, but their testing showed it to be no better than a 2. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I always thought SanDisk made the best SD card out there, but their testing always put Lexar as the best and I had never heard of Lexar before.
    I always had great experiences with Lexar memory, but over time I had trouble finding the capacity and options I needed at retail or online locations. Not sure if its an availability issue or mfg choice by lexar. But I can say I do prefer theirs.

    I just checked their site and well the only 64GB microSDHC they offer is this one Lexar® High-Performance microSDXC and it retails for $139.99 while the SanDisk is $50-60 so now I guess we know why one sells more than another. Next time it will get Lexar and pay the money.
  15. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,757 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I always had great experiences with Lexar memory, but over time I had trouble finding the capacity and options I needed at retail or online locations. Not sure if its an availability issue or mfg choice by lexar. But I can say I do prefer theirs.

    I just checked their site and well the only 64GB microSDHC they offer is this one Lexar® High-Performance microSDXC and it retails for $139.99 while the SanDisk is $50-60 so now I guess we know why one sells more than another. Next time it will get Lexar and pay the money.
    NewEgg seems to have a lot of Lexar items: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Flash Memory & Readers, Flash Memory, Lexar
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  16. Ruined's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    324 Posts
    #16  
    Has anyone heard anything about one of the updates fixing this, i.e. Portico or the one after this? I am debating whether I should return my SD cards, but being that I tried two totally different ones and had exact same results I'm thinking its WP8's fault.
    SOMEnameItried likes this.
  17.    #17  
    I'd be curious to know too in regards to the Portico update...
  18. #18  
    I have the same 64GB SanDisk card as others have mentioned with the same choppy playback with 720/1080p video on Lumia 810. I've had no issues with music playback or picture taking/focus speed so I'm curious to see if this is a software issue that was squashed with Portico.
    Thanked by:
  19.    #19  
    @DarkSpartan017 Thanks for mentioning your SD Card. Can you please give some details how it is at transferring music and video while it is synced to your computer (OS)?

    Thanks,
    Kelly
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    A couple of years ago, there was a professional photographers site that did extensive testing on SD cards with write speed, read speed, number of rewrites...etc...They found a lot of cards that didn't even come close to the specs they said they were. Like they were rated a 6, but their testing showed it to be no better than a 2. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I always thought SanDisk made the best SD card out there, but their testing always put Lexar as the best and I had never heard of Lexar before.
    if you could kindly dig up the link at some point, that'd be mega
  21. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by SOMEnameItried View Post
    @DarkSpartan017 Thanks for mentioning your SD Card. Can you please give some details how it is at transferring music and video while it is synced to your computer (OS)?

    Thanks,
    Kelly
    I've had no issues transferring any media with all three methods (Metro app,Desktop, Explorer). Video playback is my only issue with the card only with video taken with the card itself on or off the phone. Which has me thinking it's a bug in the OS itself. The only phones we can test this theory with are the Nokia 820,810,822, HTC 8S, and Ativ S w/ the 820 being the only Portico updated device with removable storage.
    Thanked by:
  22.    #22  
    Hi @DarkSpartan017,

    I've wondered that too about the OS. I honestly have checked the other groups, so I'm isolated with only trying to better understand SD Cards and the 822. I feel like this issue of the sd cards appears more frequently with these models than the others (in addition to the OS).

    I really appreciate you dishing out the specs.

    Cheers,
    Kelly
  23. msft_tinkering's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #23  
    I've had no problems with my SanDisk 64GB micro SDXC card. Transfers could be faster, but hey it's 64GB and not USB 3.0. Hey Nokia, I'd be very happy if you made the connector on my next Windows Phone a USB 3.0 connector. :D
    Garth H
    Santa Clara, CA
    Nokia Lumia Icon on VZW (personal)
    HTC 8X (work phone also on VZW)
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by SOMEnameItried View Post
    Hi @DarkSpartan017,

    I've wondered that too about the OS. I honestly have checked the other groups, so I'm isolated with only trying to better understand SD Cards and the 822. I feel like this issue of the sd cards appears more frequently with these models than the others (in addition to the OS).

    I really appreciate you dishing out the specs.

    Cheers,
    Kelly
    No problem I just updated my 810 today and shot some video post update and it would seem it is an OS level issue since the video playback is behaving normally for me now with no more stutters or jumps. I'll play around with it some more to see if it isn't a fluke. Hopefully VZW will drop the update for the 822 soon and those who had issues before can report back if there seeing the issue go away as well.
    Thanked by:
    SOMEnameItried likes this.
  25.    #25  
    So as you all get the Portico update for your Lumia 822s I wanted to bump this thread to see if these are still issues, or say all is well and close it.

    Cheers,
    Kelly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B