Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Hey guys...just got my Nokia 822 and so far I really like this phone a whole lot. Been having some issues in my less than 24 hours with my phone though, so I wanted to find out if anyone is having similar issues.

So far my phone has locked up a few times, the first time it locked up I was setting up the Facebook portion of the setup, not the FB app, just the native setup. Locked up and had to do a battery pull in order to get it working again. Second time it locked up, I was just listening to some music and decided to check out the equalizer settings. It was making the screen transition and BOOM locks up. This time after a few seconds it rebooted itself. No other apps working in the background. This has happened at least two other times, not doing anything intensive or any apps in the background working.

I am hoping these issues fade away over the next couple of days, otherwise I may be forced to venture into BB and exchange it, which I am not really looking forward to since it is going to be a MAD HOUSE moving forward.

Other than those lil issues, I LOVE LOVE THIS phone. It is extremely light for being as big and thick as it is. WP8 like 7x is just as fluid and really like the feel of the phone.

I know you said no other apps running in the background, but have you installed other apps? Just wondering if maybe you got something shady installed? Other than that, perhaps a defective unit?
    No issues here. That said, I do feel there is a bug in the OS that triggers these freeze/reboot problems.

Global Posts
    3,034 Global Posts
    I picked mine up launch day and so far no reboots or freeze up. I had picked up the 820 on AT&T and that device froze a few times. I know the 920 and 8X are having issues but as far as the 822 goes it has been a steller device for me the only issue I have is notifications I need to know when I get a text or email for work. I can't believe Microsoft did include this feature on WP8!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    I picked mine up launch day and so far no reboots or freeze up. I had picked up the 820 on AT&T and that device froze a few times. I know the 920 and 8X are having issues but as far as the 822 goes it has been a steller device for me the only issue I have is notifications I need to know when I get a text or email for work. I can't believe Microsoft did include this feature on WP8!
    I really get the feeling that the lockups people are seeing are a carrier issue from AT&T. Everyone I know that has a VZW WP8 has yet to report a lockup/reboot

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Isror View Post
    I really get the feeling that the lockups people are seeing are a carrier issue from AT&T. Everyone I know that has a VZW WP8 has yet to report a lockup/reboot
    No. My phone is the 822 which is on Verizon. I just had the issue resurface again. I was "showing off" an app and right in the middle of it, it locked up again. Music kept playing as if nothing was wrong, but the phone's screen was not responsive. Another battery pull.

I have installed a few apps. Guess, I will remove them and get back down to stock and see what happens then. Feeling really disappointed because I really like this phone. :(. Interestingly enough, if I try and replicate the issue it doesn't happen again. Maybe it's learning :). Just telling that to myself to make me feel better, but if this keeps up today. I think the phone will have to go back tomorrow, I will def exchange it before I throw in the towel with this model.

Global Posts
    1,584 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Isror View Post
    I have the 820 from at&t for 2 weeks, no lockups.
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Global Posts
    3,034 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I have the 820 from at&t for 2 weeks, no lockups.
    I believe it a cell tower issue I know with Verizon on a Android device low coverage causes reboots. With all the 4G upgrades going on with carriers cell coverage has been the worst in 15 years I have been with Verizon..
    safesax2002 likes this.
    I have had a couple lockups with my 822, but I realize it is a new model, and I expect Nokia will get it fixed.

Once I was on the phone with my wife, in the car, and car/phone were linked hands free. Suddenly silence. Car stereo still said Talking, but when I hit the BT button on phone it didn't switch to handset, wouldn't make any sound, and when I ended call, the car still said talking. I power cycled the phone then it was all good.

Couldn't send a picture text (first time), until cycling power.

Third time I don't remember what I was doing, but it hasn't happened since. That was Saturday.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Well I just finished resetting the phone back to defaults. No extra apps loaded. Before I could even do much w/the phone beyond setting up my live account it locked up again. Going back to BB and exchange it for the same model. Let's hope I just got a lemon.

I will keep you peeps posted with the new handset and see if the problems arise. So far it's been less than 24 hours of life for this phone, but when the phone is locking up doing basic functions I cannot wait for Nokia to issue out an update to solve them.

Global Posts
    3,034 Global Posts
    Sounds like you have a bad device with all of the WP8 launches the 822 seems to have the least issues reading the forums. Read the 920 forums that device has multiple issues and no real fixes so I feel lucky. They even have a sticky in the 920 forums for issues.

my girlfriends 822 did one random reboot 2 days after we got it while she was on the phone no other issues with hers and mine has been perfect

I have the 822 on Verizon and have had the phone randomly reboot a couple times. Both times I was in my office on the 40th floor where reception is a bit spotty, so that may have something to do with it.

Of bigger concern to me is the problem I've had syncing music to the phone. I'm using a SanDisk 32gb microSDHC card. No matter what method I use to sync (the don't-call-it-Metro WP8 app, the Windows 8 desktop app, or drag and drop in file explorer) the transfer process locks up, requiring me to exit the app/cancel the transfer, turn off my computer (because once this happens I can't "safely remove the hardware"), and pull the battery from my phone (if I try to shut it down normally, it just hangs on the "Goodbye" screen forever).

I've done a full format of the card on the computer and in my phone. I'm also able to put the card directly into my computer via a card reader and transfer files to it no problem; the locking only occurs when I'm transferring to the card while it's in my phone. The phone seems to read the card just fine otherwise; I can download podcasts to it through Xbox Music and play them back without issue, and when I go to settings it accurately shows the card and it's available storage.

Anyone else having similar issues? I'm hoping this is a software/firmware bug and I don't have to return my phone for a new one. Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Hey ChevyMSU. I haven't tried loading my music on it, yet. If all goes well with my replacement, I will load up some music, I believe I have the same SD card.

After getting the phone exchanged, so far no issues. I am back at home now and during the drive here 30+miles I kept Nokia Drive going to see if it would cause any issue, none. Now that I am home I plan on using my cell phone only on the VZ network for testing purposes. Tomorrow I will go ahead and add the WiFi.

o4liberty ,I hope you are right! I really like the phone and I agree I have not seen any issues reported on here or anywhere else. Not sure how accurate VZ's Reviews (on their website) are, but the phone is getting 4.9 rating, that's the highest I've seen I think for any phone. I think only the HTC trophy was close to that number as well. I don't want to give up on this phone yet, so hopefully this replacement will be the lucky one :).

Thanks guys for your feedback and input.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I've had 2 lockup's so far and I've had it since Friday. It was both while in screen stransitions (quitting apps I think). No reboots though. Both times the screen became unresponsive and then turned black. Resolved with a battery pull.

Don't forget to thank and like anyone who deserves it!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,333 Global Posts
    Mine locked up about an hour after I got it Thursday and again this afternoon. I don't like it doing this, but if that's as often as it will do it I will live with it.

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    No freezing or rebooting at all here. And I've had the device about 5 days.

Speaking of FB though - that is the one app I truly use a lot, and unfortunately, the WP8 versions are pretty crappy compared to the Android and iOS versions.

I've tried the normal app, the Facebook Pro one, and the Facebook Touch app. And they all kinda suck.

Hope to see some updates or new alternative apps for WP8.

-mcskipp
    So far this has been a confirmed issue on the 8x, 920, and 820. So... Pretty sure the problem is baked into the OS 😠
    mud314 likes this.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    So far this has been a confirmed issue on the 8x, 920, and 820. So... Pretty sure the problem is baked into the OS 
    Yeah, I started reading about the problems with the OS last night. So far, I'm going on the same amount of time with my replacement from BB and so far no issue. But man, I have been reading a lot of the same issue across the board.

How quick is VZ to update the handsets? I know with Android they are always lagging due to "testing".
    Quote Originally Posted by mud314 View Post
    Yeah, I started reading about the problems with the OS last night. So far, I'm going on the same amount of time with my replacement from BB and so far no issue. But man, I have been reading a lot of the same issue across the board.

How quick is VZ to update the handsets? I know with Android they are always lagging due to "testing".
    The issue is widespread eenough that I expect MS to push an update asap. I don't think the update is up to Verizon due to the nature of windows phone. I think its up to MS much like IOS updates are solely ul to Apple.
    mud314 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMSU35 View Post
    I have the 822 on Verizon and have had the phone randomly reboot a couple times. Both times I was in my office on the 40th floor where reception is a bit spotty, so that may have something to do with it.

Of bigger concern to me is the problem I've had syncing music to the phone. I'm using a SanDisk 32gb microSDHC card. No matter what method I use to sync (the don't-call-it-Metro WP8 app, the Windows 8 desktop app, or drag and drop in file explorer) the transfer process locks up, requiring me to exit the app/cancel the transfer, turn off my computer (because once this happens I can't "safely remove the hardware"), and pull the battery from my phone (if I try to shut it down normally, it just hangs on the "Goodbye" screen forever).

I've done a full format of the card on the computer and in my phone. I'm also able to put the card directly into my computer via a card reader and transfer files to it no problem; the locking only occurs when I'm transferring to the card while it's in my phone. The phone seems to read the card just fine otherwise; I can download podcasts to it through Xbox Music and play them back without issue, and when I go to settings it accurately shows the card and it's available storage.

Anyone else having similar issues? I'm hoping this is a software/firmware bug and I don't have to return my phone for a new one. Thanks in advance.
    +1 here. seems like the phone was having trouble writing to the card, and when it wrote a bad sector, the phone would lock just as you said. I finally put the card in my computer, transferred everything over, and it seems to be reading everything fine. It might be a phone problem, but not a deal breaker for me, since tranfering in my computer took about 1/10 the time it was taking in the phone before it got horked up.

The xbox music app found everything right away. The Nokia music app took a little while longer, but eventually everything showed up.

Also, FWIW, no random lockups yet.

Global Posts
    3,034 Global Posts
    I had my first reboot today but I was in a bad cell coverage area.
    Myself, I've had a couple problems as I've noted before in this thread, but I'm not concerned. Nokia has been responsive in the past, and I expect that if it is their problem they'll be out with a patch to fix it, likewise Microsoft. This is the first wave of the phones, and I don't get surprised when something happens, as testing by the company is never going to be as extensive as putting tens or hundreds of thousands in people's hands, so you're always going to discover problems on launch. Look at Apple with iOS 6 maps, iPhone 5 with the purple haze in the pictures with lights, and the antennagate.

I have had the phone for 48 hours now. first night while transfering pictures and music to the phone it locked up twice which required a battery pull. Second day and night I had issues holding signal. It kept saying I had 4g lte and connected to wifi, but it wouldn't send a picture message to anyone and it would suddenly say I had no signal. My Mom and I were shopping together and her Iphone had signal and had no issues and we are both with verizon. I returned a Samsung Galaxy 3 because of glitches and connectivity issues and went with a Nokia because they were always known to be a good solid phone with great reception, but now I am concerned. This will be my third time going back to bb to return a phone in the last 4 months and change it out. I am starting to wonder if it isn't the phones at all and it verizon is causing all the problems! I am going to test it at work tomorrow as that is the final test...signal is on and off around my work, but my iphone always got some signal so if this doesn't then I may just return them both (my son got one too) and just go back to a simple texting phone!

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I've been on my second VZ 822 since I exchanged it. So far no further issues at all. It has been working like a champ and I was even able to sync some playlists with my Mac. With the first phone I kept having issues, where the Windows Phone (mac app) would crash as soon as it would detect the phone. Last night I figured it was time to load some tunes and not one issue, except for those pesky DRMed songs from iTunes.

Glad I didn't give up on this phone, so far I am really loving the whole experience with the OS and the phone. Just want the Otterbox!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast