Got my 922 last night.....enjoying it thorougly, it's my first smartphone!

One of my older devices was an HP rx5900 PDA, which ran old Windows Mobile. It also used USB to charge, and as well as a wall charger, I have a car charger that connects to the lighter. Can these older chargers safely charge the 822? Thanks in advance, I'm really pleased to have found this community!

Jim

Global Posts
    1,640 Global Posts
    An older PDA like that probably has a miniUSB connection and not Micro. So it will not fit.

No, these chargers take the male USB connection, just like a computer. So, my Nokia cable will fit. Just don't know if not using the actual Nokia charger that came with the phone will be a problem.

Good topic, I've been wondering if the 822 fits the Trophy's charger. I hope so, I've got one at home, one at work and one in each of our two cars. Would be nice if the 822 could use all of those. I almost considered going with the 8X for that reason (assuming that both HTCs use the same charger).

The main issue with chargers from older products is they may not push enough amperage to properly charge your device.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

The charger that came with the phone is rated 5V, 1.3A, and I have that information (at home...) for my other chargers. If the current capability is the same, is there any other reason not to use them? Is it an issue if their amperage rating is higher than the factory charger?

Global Posts
    1,640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerjim View Post
    No, these chargers take the male USB connection, just like a computer. So, my Nokia cable will fit. Just don't know if not using the actual Nokia charger that came with the phone will be a problem.
    Ha. Yeah, I should have realized you were talking about the base. That makes a lot more sense.. it's been a long week.. :)

I've used chargers that have a lower amp rating and devices charge just fine, but I think they take longer.

I don't think i would use a charger with a higher rating then what your device charger has, though I doubt an older charger would be bigger then 1.3 anyway. I pulled out an HTC 6800 WinMo phone and that was a 1A.

I checked both my chargers, and they deliver 1 amp. It appears that most computer USB ports don't even deliver that much.

How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

So it appears that it will be worth tossing my old car charger and a cable into the car!
    I haven't even taken the new charger out of the box yet. I have an old charger next to my bed, one in the car, one at work, and one in the living room, not to mention one in my laptop case, and the usb cable that I use to sync. There's no difference in them unless you're looking for high current for rapid charging. A micro-USB is a micro-USB.