Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By XENOPHOS
  • 1 Post By snowmutt

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Hate me...common hate me more...

I know I am going to seriously **** some people off with this thread...however, if u keep the anger aside, I have a few points to make.

I was in love with the HTC 8S (still am) but there are many people saying the memory can be a major set-back, tomorrow if not today/now.

So, I did a bit of a research and I landed up looking at the 820. However, I am not convinced enough.

To begin with, I am guessing, on paper, the 8S has a better resolution than the 820, but how is it in reality?

HTC 8S has Beats and Nokia has Dolby. Which one is better?

Third, and this is totally subjective, but I just hate the Lumia 820's icons. HTC looks far sharper and crisper and better, IMHO.

Performance-wise, 820 houses a 1.5 GHz and a bigger memory, which is a HUGE PLUS (the only one so far).

Please correct me if I am wrong in anyway.

I just feel the HTC 8S is a better overall.

So what do you guys think?

PS: Also, what's up with the whole changeable clamp shell thing? I thought it was shipped with every box? Isn't it?

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    you get one shell in the box, and you have to buy the others if you want to. for me, I didn't even consider the 8s because of the lack of a front facing camera. useless for Skype. and as someone that travels a lot for work and whats to chat to the family its pretty important. also, the nokia apps are better than the htc ones in my opinion. the screen on the 820 is fine you wont notice a difference with daily use. believe me the space on the phone gets chewed up quickly - id steer clear of the 8s - shame as its a good looking phone.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I own a 820, it's great. Coming from Retina display, to the L800, the pixels were extremely discernable. However, when changing from 800 to 820, I can hardly discern the pixels. It's no retina, but it's great. Haven't seen the 8S, but just the memory kept me off. In the long run, you won't have enough memory for apps. Let's not forget OS updates once in a while too.

And IIRC, the RAM is only 512MB. I remember seeing somewhere that a user was unable to install a game due to lack of RAM.

If you really like the 8S that much, get it. In the future, don't look back and regret not getting the 8S just because we told you so. :-)

Edit: personally, the 8S is so pretty that I've thought of modifying my 820 to look like the 8S.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jiayit View Post
    I own a 820, it's great. Coming from Retina display, to the L800, the pixels were extremely discernable. However, when changing from 800 to 820, I can hardly discern the pixels. It's no retina, but it's great. Haven't seen the 8S, but just the memory kept me off. In the long run, you won't have enough memory for apps. Let's not forget OS updates once in a while too.

And IIRC, the RAM is only 512MB. I remember seeing somewhere that a user was unable to install a game due to lack of RAM.

If you really like the 8S that much, get it. In the future, don't look back and regret not getting the 8S just because we told you so. :-)

Edit: personally, the 8S is so pretty that I've thought of modifying my 820 to look like the 8S.
    HAH! of course I will not blame anyone...The thing is, had it been only the looks, I would have turned a blind eye. But Beats Audio and the HTC Weather is just killer. IF ONLY it had 8GB memory..dayum! Also, I am not going to install 50,000 Apps..just the essential ones. Currency Cobverter WP Central App, etc. hardly a few. People I know have installed 20 apps and the phone isn't one bit slow. It just f l i e s ...
    But yes, in a long run it just might pose a problem..

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski777 View Post
    you get one shell in the box, and you have to buy the others if you want to. for me, I didn't even consider the 8s because of the lack of a front facing camera. useless for Skype. and as someone that travels a lot for work and whats to chat to the family its pretty important. also, the nokia apps are better than the htc ones in my opinion. the screen on the 820 is fine you wont notice a difference with daily use. believe me the space on the phone gets chewed up quickly - id steer clear of the 8s - shame as its a good looking phone.
    By one shell do u mean in all one or in all two, one ON the phone and One additional? the FFC is a bit of a bummer for me too. Not that I video chat more than I call or something, but just having one is always a bit of a +.
    I have my iPad Mini anyways to do everything TBH...but a phone will always be a phone.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I would pick the 820 over the 8S anyday mainly because of the FFC and NFC those two features will be important in the future also RAM, more storage, and Faster Processor would make your purchase more pleasant. If you can't afford a 820 well buy a 620 when it comes out it has a FFC. And NFC i think.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnbs View Post
    I would pick the 820 over the 8S anyday mainly because of the FFC and NFC those two features will be important in the future also RAM, more storage, and Faster Processor would make your purchase more pleasant. If you can't afford a 820 well buy a 620 when it comes out it has a FFC. And NFC i think.
    Thanks..from the number of people saying 820, I too am tempted.

I like the 8S a lot but the price is just too high as of now...i think I will wait.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    The phone comes with a shell (may or may not be wireless charging enabled). You can buy other colors, with variations of wireless charging, and ruggedized shells, which provides your phone with more protection. 3rd party manufacturers will be making shells in the future too, I believe.
    XENOPHOS, I have never- NEVER- seen as indecisive of a man!!

Let me throw this out to you as I have seen you go back and forth on this: DO NOT BUY THE 8S!!! You are not convinced, and it has too many "what ifs" for you. WP8 is not going anywhere, and neither are you. Wait until you can get something a little more future proof for your needs. The 8S seems like a nice little device- but if it fit your needs, you would have already pulled the trigger. Wait until you can get your hands around an 820, or wait until the second generation of WP devices roll out.

Just my opinion based on what I have read of your posts, and you know we only have your best interest at heart...
    "Life is hard. But it is harder when you are stupid."
    -John Wayne
    Thanked by:
    XENOPHOS likes this.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    XENOPHOS, I have never- NEVER- seen as indecisive of a man!!

Let me throw this out to you as I have seen you go back and forth on this: DO NOT BUY THE 8S!!! You are not convinced, and it has too many "what ifs" for you. WP8 is not going anywhere, and neither are you. Wait until you can get something a little more future proof for your needs. The 8S seems like a nice little device- but if it fit your needs, you would have already pulled the trigger. Wait until you can get your hands around an 820, or wait until the second generation of WP devices roll out.

Just my opinion based on what I have read of your posts, and you know we only have your best interest at heart...
    Snowmutt!! U know I take it offensively when you DON'T reply to my threads right? Hah! I know I am indecisive...and How..crystal_planet has abandoned me and now I hope u don't...heheh!
    Ok, first things first, the black 8S isn't available yet so I will have to wait.
    Secondly, the 820 clearly overshadows the 8S spec wise.
    Quick story: How I got my iPad Mini? I was all sold on the NeXus7. Until, I read a Tweet from a blogger saying the Mini will be for 22,000...WHOA!! my world changed...I waited for about a while and it was worth it...
    Similarly, I've heard the 820 will be 22K. The 8S is 19k.
    If that is the case...bam! Splat! I'm sold! I get the 820!
    Why do I want WP8 so bad..? I hate Android and the slow sluggish of a crapware I hold. Plus, WP8 IS the future.
    And..23 Jan IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!! So...u know..wanna treat myself!
    But thanks for your suggestions..always always appreciated!

EDIT: Just curious, why XENOPHOS & not Prof X?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.