- 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM #1
Hey guys, just been into the Virgin Media Store and been asking about the phones. I was recommended a 920 over the 820 as apparently the NFC is only built in to the 920 apparently. Now I knew about needing a special backplate to get wireless charging on the 820 but according to the rep if I don't get that backplate NFC just will not function period. Could someone confirm or deny this for me please? He said a Nokia rep told him but I can't be certain I can trust him.Windows Phone Central Moderator "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'." - Apparently you can have an iPhone transplant...
- 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM #2
It doesn't make any sense to me. I think he's confused on the back plate for wireless charging. I don't have a 920 but my wife has a Nokia 808 and there is no special back plate for NFC. Her's is just a plain plastic cover and her NFC works. I could be wrong.Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
- 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM #3
I have an AT&T 820 (same hardware) and NFC works out of the box because it comes with an NFC sticker that works as soon as you power on the device. For wireless charging, yea perhaps because I think the back plates have a special chip or whatever that corresponds with the built in NFC, but the phone itself has NFC built in...
- 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM #4
I just got an 820 also and was wondering a similar question.
As I understand it, the 920 back plate allows NFC AND wireless charging,
while the 820 only allows NFC.
So if I wanted wireless charging on the 820, I would have to get a separate
back plate that supports NFC AND wireless charging.
Is NFC actually built into the phones and just the back plate allows for
- 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM #5
NFC is built into the phone, ignore the crap the rep just told you. You can enable it/disable it in Settings.
The wireless charging shell is called a wireless charging shell and not WC+NFC because it adds wireless charging to its capabilities. So, Paul, it's the latter.
- 12-18-2012, 10:50 PM #6Windows Phone Central Moderator "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'." - Apparently you can have an iPhone transplant...
- 12-19-2012, 12:31 AM #8Windows Phone Central Moderator "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'." - Apparently you can have an iPhone transplant...
- 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM #10
- 12-20-2012, 12:30 AM #11
- 12-20-2012, 01:06 AM #12
- By erike3198 in forum Samsung Focus S 4GReplies: 0Last Post: 11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
- By nimeshc in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 11-01-2011, 02:56 AM
- By 1jaxstate1 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 3Last Post: 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM
- By J4rrod in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 09-17-2011, 03:29 PM
- By Jenifer in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 7Last Post: 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM