12-12-2012, 03:28 AM #1
- 12 Posts
1. File manager...
Where is the file manager ?
How can I open a PDF file saved on my SD card ?!
2. App close button...
There is no app close button, which is very painful. In browser, if I want to close it, I have to go all through backwards to close it, until I go to the first page.
3. Multi tasking ...
Symbian is better than windows phone in terms of multi tasking. Its ok, we can use back button as opening all running tasks , but we really want true multi tasking. What's the use of this processor then ?
4. Notification light...
Where is the blinking light for missed call or SMS alerts ?
Windows icon should blink...
Battery drains very quickly. You suppose people will use this phone only for browsing and calling ?!!
Then what's the use to buy a phone with this price ?
6. Quick notes...
I always have to open OneNote for this. Should have a notepad like app, for txt support. I've always been using the notes app in Symbian.
7. Poor camera...
Lumia 820 has very poor front camera, main camera is not so good either. I expected it to be better than N8 at least.
The accessories are not available, even the spare battery. I wanted the ruggedized case very much, but I don’t know, when will it be available in Dubai :(
I have been using Nokia phone from my second phone. The first one was NEC e313. Probably Nokia Lumia 820 is my 13th in 7 years.
12-15-2012, 10:24 AM #2
- 5 Posts
1. Install a PDF Reader app, most are free. That should solve the problem of not being able to access the memory card.
2. Just press the Windows (middle, bottom of screen) button. That closes the app and returns you to the start screen. I too would like a close app button, but it would do the same thing as the Windows button.
3. Multitasking would eat the battery big time especially if apps continued to run in the background. I'm glad that it is not implemented on this phone like it was on my Nokia N95 8GB. Running but minimised apps on that phone ate through the battery in no time and most of the time I was not even aware that they were still running. On the Lumia 820 some apps do run in the background though, which probably explains the poor battery life. I wish a savvy app developer would create an app to KILL those background processes though
4. I agree, the Windows button should flash or at least an icon should be visible to inform you that a missed call or a message was available. The flashing Windows button would also eat battery power so maybe that's why it is not implemented?
5. I have to agree that battery performance is not too good. It is a powerful phone though and as with any such device, battery performance will never be good, unless we can have a nuclear battery or something like that ...
6. Install a notepad app. Most are free and offer pretty good options too.
7. The cameras on this phone are like something from Noah's ark. Truely abysmal when compared to anything else including my ancient Panasonic Lumix 2MP camera from around 2000 or so.
8. Accessories are scarce everywhere except the UK as far as I can tell. Even they don't have a great selection though.
These are not the only problems I find with the Lumia 820.
A) The volume, power and camera buttons are a bit inconvenient at times and I often press them at inappropriate times :(
Why not put the volume buttons on the top or bottom of the phone?
B) The speaker placement would have to rate as the dumbest of all time, especially if you have poor hearing like me. Nokia, the speaker goes at the TOP of the phone ... doh!!! Of course they include the hands free, but not everyone likes or uses these, and that includes me.
C) The screen sensitivity seems to vary at times. Sometimes it's overly sensitive and at other times it's not sensitive enough. I'm not sure what's going on with that? It could be just my fumble fingers I guess ...
OK, rant over, time to step down from the soap box ...Regards
- 12-17-2012, 07:34 AM #5
5. Thats true, the battery performance its not the best. After 2 weeks of use, improved a lot (compared to first weeks)
7. For my toughts the camera is one of the Best i had. Coming from Xperia Play, BB 9360, Xperia Mini Pro.
12-17-2012, 01:49 PM #9
- 353 Posts
Even though most consider it ugly, the battery in my 810 is a champ. I was pissed about the 920 exclusivity, but I think this is the top 800 series wp8.
Accessories have been a real pain to find, I agree.
Btw, why do you need to close the browser? This shouldn't be "running" in the background.
02-28-2013, 04:38 PM #11
- 15 Posts
A bit late, but if you really want to close the browser, you can just press the '...' button, open tabs, and close each active tab. After you've done so, you can press the backspace and internet explorer will be closed. Is a lot faster than revisiting every opened page, especially if you've opened a lot of them during your session.
03-02-2013, 06:59 AM #13
- 206 Posts
2. Click on the tabs option, close the tab and then hit back. Or press the windows button.
3. What type of multitasking do you want? When you go back to the home screen that tombstones an app, then it doesn't use any memory or anything at all until re opened.
4. Notification light is the choice of hardware manufacturers. Something that Nokia needs to do, soon.
5. Battery is very good on the 820, I compared it to a GS3 with NFC, bluetooth, wireless and mobile data on, the 820 won with moderate usage. Also, if you don't have a 4G plan, turn off 4G.
6. There are many apps that save as .txt - Search results for "quick notes" | Windows Phone (United Kingdom)
7. Front camera isn't too fantastic I do have to say, but the rear camera is fantastic! Maybe you're using it wrong.
03-06-2013, 01:23 AM #14
- 10 Posts
Hello, don't want to spam the forum with another thread, so here is my issue.
I experience lags while navigating/scrolling on a web page. Phone reacts to touches with a short delay. This mostly happens to heavy websites, such as WPcentral, for example.
Have the latest OS version, wich is Portico, and also all those Nokia system apps are updated.
How do I fix that?
- 03-07-2013, 01:13 AM #15
Newbie here ... planning to go for a 820...
just wondering: if there is no file manager, what ever we download can be opened by specific applications (pdf on a pdf reader, .mp3 on a music player),
but, could we ever save the files that were donwloaded at all ?
- 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM #19
I bought 820 a week back. Having some awesome time with it. Camera, navigation, look and interface works awesome for me. Now after these 7 good days.. I realized some issues..
1. My phone is heating up unusually. (No unnecessary apps, no background tasks, tap+send n other stuff is off) . Phone is on battery saver mode.
2. Random reboots : Its really random. I uninstalled each and every unwanted app. checked settings. but still its rebooting randomly. Its annoying to have this bug. Its not affecting any operation as its pretty fast ...but still why would one have this kinda bug in the phone.. ?? I read somewhere its because of Skype .. which is ****ty on WP8. let me know about this..
I am almost there to contact the store and getting replacement. Suggest me something good. Thanks.
- 03-16-2013, 10:48 PM #20
1. Mine gets hot if I use anything that uses the GPS, especially Nokia HERE.
2. My reboots every couple of days and/or freezes so I have to reboot. I just reboot it on my own every couple of days.When all else fails empty the magazine...
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM #21
- 41 Posts
well ... i got my 820 2 weeks ago.
i dont know if im lucky or is it you guys who have bad luck.
my phone did not restart or turned off since i got it ... "except maybe after the first update and the change of region, i did the restart my self"
heat? yea sometimes ... but nothing abnormal ... all smart phones got some heat every now and then
battery ... not as much as i thought .. but its getting better each day because of good training "Full to empty"
i must admit that some apps are still needed .. such as file manager and data counters ... but it does not affect my satisfaction at all
one of my best purchases so far
- 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM #23
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM #24
- 9 Posts
i bought my 820 last week. having a great time with it. the problems i find are very basic:
1. long press numbers on dial pad for speed dial.
2. data counter
3. not able to select my mp3 songs as ringtones
though there are apps to do the job i think these are pretty basic things which u'd expect from a "smart" phone.
even i faced unusual battery drains. now i don't face it anymore.
after playing an game, make sure u quit it properly. it wnt show wen u long press the back button but still it is safe to quit properly.
gps obviously consumes a lotta battery. it's same for all phones across all platforms.
uninstall skype. dunno if it's a coincidence or not but it did work.
now my battery is giving amazing backup.
i just cant stop loving the phone.
04-04-2013, 12:35 AM #25
- 2 Posts
I am from India, I have a bunch of doubt on my new lumia 820.
1. Can we download Songs and videos and save it in SD card or Phone. If so please let me know.
2. Is Nokia Music service avilable in India?
3. How to transfer Contacts which i have in my old phone (5800 Xpressmusic) SD card to mu lumia 820.?
Please someone help me by clarifying my doubts...
- By Jeebus137 in forum Nokia Lumia 820Replies: 15Last Post: 07-04-2013, 06:49 AM
- By khunhorm in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 9Last Post: 12-27-2012, 12:19 AM
- By sixsevenco in forum Nokia Lumia 810Replies: 2Last Post: 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM
- By DrMalba in forum Nokia Lumia 820Replies: 1Last Post: 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM
- By xbilly in forum Nokia Lumia 820Replies: 0Last Post: 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM