Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Okay so I'm quite happy with my purchase of lumia820, but there's something that still troubles me - the usage of internal memory of the phone.
    My photos and video go directly to memory card, I have removed games (only got like 2 installed), wiped map and browser data, and still my internal memory usage is as follows:

music+videos: 2.61MB
    pictures: 0MB
    Apps: 798.36MB
    Other: 2.46GB
    System: 1.90GB
    Free space: 2.27GB

So I'm pretty lost here as I have no idea what those "other" that take 2.5gb of space are and decided to ask you - more experienced users - if you have any idea what can it be and how could I free it up?

Morq :)
    Last edited by Morq; 12-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.

I noticed that if i deleted videos from Nokia trailers my available data went up, even though everything is set to save to sd, seems like its app data, why it doesn't come under apps i don't know.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Alright so, it means some application is a culprit but I have no idea which one it would be. I do not have any trailers installed, I do have cloud stuff like skydrive and boxfiles, only app that could use the data would be nokia maps but I have purged them recently :o
    I'm having the same problem, Apps only take 347 MB but "other" takes 2,49 GB! No idea what causes this, sorry.

Also, I only have one game installed (Wordament), music and movies are all on the card.
    Now it says 3,36 GB other! This is eating space and I have no idea what to do about it!

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I thought it might be nokia map (I dont have any other map app installed) but its not, I have uninstalled it completely and there still is 2.5gb in "other"..

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    im another 820 owner in the same boat. down to 1.18GB free. Been reading elsewhere this "other" section is allegedly reserved by applications and is freed as required. im not so convinced and getting concerned. otherwise love the phone.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Aight so here's the reply I got from MS forums:

So "other" is basically a storage of data from a variety of sources (photos, music and video as well as reserved space for applications). Each application that writes (and stores data) has their own specific area to use so WP allocates space according to needs of the device.

Windows Phone allocate storage dynamically, so if the phone is relatively empty, it will reserve a lot of space (as an example, IE and Maps would take space.)

As you add more to your device it will release some of the reserved space back to the phone.

Pretty much if space is not being used, it will automatically take space and reserve it for use for what is there. If a new app is installed and it needs more space, the phone will allocate the space needed.

:Source:

Makes sense, i deleted some app cache today on various apps and my available data went up so that works out.
    Not working for me, if I need the Gigabytes that are "reserved", in this case recording movies, the phone is NOT freeing them up. Good for you, however, barne19801.

I deleted every app that the system let me and it still had 3 GB just frozen.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Try posting on the forum i sourced 2 posts before, ms people look there, might be able to help ya out.

How about trying resetting the phone and seeing how much is frozen?
    Last edited by Morq; 12-13-2012 at 05:28 AM.