Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I put my Sandisk 8gig micro sd card into the slot, and it won't read it. I put my old 2gig card in, and it reads it just fine. Is there a possible formatting issue? Is anyone else having this problem?

depends on the Class of the memory card, just read up on the windows phone approved ones!

I've used 32 and 64gb cards and both work ok in my 820. Make sure its formatted in phone first.

I had this issue and it was the make of card. I swapped it around with the one in my old phone which was a samsung branded card and it worked fine. There are compatibility issues with some cards.

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I had this issue and resolved it by doing a hard reset on the phone. It also fixed my issue of not being able to register my SIM or my xBox account.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Global Posts
    1,671 Global Posts
    I have my old 8 gb card from my Androids and the 820 reads it just fine. I have the SanDisk 32 mention on this forum on order and hoping there won't be any issues.
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I have a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 and it works great.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into a Sandisk 32gb Class 10, as well.
    i have scan disk 32gb class 10 but had problems copying files to it if i copied anything larger than 20mb the copy process would freeze the phone would not let you into settings and when you tried to power off it would say goodbye but not switch off with the message still there. i contacted nokia and the tech guy confirmed it causing same issue with his phone. anyway i tried another cheap brand of sd card class 4 and it works fine so far.

works perfect with Kingston 32 GB class 10

Global Posts
    1,671 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I have my old 8 gb card from my Androids and the 820 reads it just fine. I have the SanDisk 32 mention on this forum on order and hoping there won't be any issues.
    Been using my SanDisk 32, works fine. :)
    Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    have used a nokia class 4 32gb card and a sandisk class 10 64gb card. both fairly incident free. have noted that when the card starts getting filled up recording video becomes choppy even on the class 10 card. when it was fresh in the phone was recording beautifully. weird.

I've heard that classes 2, 4 often perform better for lots of small reads and writes, unlike class 10 which is more for high end video cameras who often write one large video file of 100mbs+ every so often, but it does this quicker.

I'm wondering whether to get a class 6 to get best of both worlds, I'd like to get a 64gb - but most are class 10. The class 6 ones are for some reason more expensive, some good deals on class 10. I might up having to get a 32gb class 4 San Disk, at least it's only 10-15 rather than 40.
    Last edited by TheQualicSelf; 12-12-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Qualic - thats the massive plus point on the 820 that you can just swap out the cards - as long as you dont need need everything on one card your better off getting a couple of the lower capacity ones...

hei i planned to get Apacer 32GB Class 10... anyone have an issue using that?

I'm using a class 2 8GB from Samsung...no issues at all on my 822.

well, when there are problems, just reformat it on the PC to fat32. If you put in an ExFat card, it reads it, but you can't put music or something on it, it'll fail, and the phone formats it to the same format it had being plugged in (here, ExFat).

I use a SanDisk mobile Utra class 10 card with 64 GB, and have no problems at all..

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eReS View Post
    works perfect with Kingston 32 GB class 10
    The same here, works as a charm :)
    Last edited by Perus; 01-06-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Nokia N8, Lumia 820 (eu_sweden)@portico

Quote Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
    depends on the Class of the memory card, just read up on the windows phone approved ones!
    Where do u find which ons are approved?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQualicSelf View Post
    I've heard that classes 2, 4 often perform better for lots of small reads and writes, unlike class 10 which is more for high end video cameras who often write one large video file of 100mbs+ every so often, but it does this quicker.

I'm wondering whether to get a class 6 to get best of both worlds, I'd like to get a 64gb - but most are class 10. The class 6 ones are for some reason more expensive, some good deals on class 10. I might up having to get a 32gb class 4 San Disk, at least it's only 10-15 rather than 40.
    Well there is so much more beyond the class raitings as in the end it's just the write speed the card has to at least achieve.

I would imagine class 6 being more expensive simply because manufacturers are mostly nowadays just doing class 4 and class 10 cards.

Quote Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
    Read up where, exactly?

I also bought a Sandisk 32g class 10 card. I can copy videos over just fine, but I can't sync music - the built in hub just won't recognize anything, says the folder is empty. Tried formatting every which way, no improvent. It really sucks that I have to keep my music on the internal memory, I ran out of space in a day. I don't know but it seems every possible bug that exists for a windows phone rears its ugly head when it comes to my device. Do you have any ideas if GDR3 fixes any of these issues? Or do you happen to have a suggestion to my regarding the syncing issue? I would really appreciate it.

In the end, hard reset fixed it. I did it with the card inside the phone. Now I had no issues copying over songs and videos, everything's just fine! :)

(For now, I hope the duplication problem won't resurface...)

Maybe the card is too slow? I don't think WP likes anything below a Class 3 or 4.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Although I do not have a Nokia, I am sort of having the same problem with my HTC 8XT. My microSD card was working fine (32GB, Kingston), but files "seemed" to be self-replicating. Songs and pictures were showing up dozens of times, but didn't actually show up that way if I put card in PC and looked. Went to Windows Store and the guy (who seemed pretty clueless) suggested I reformat the card to make sure it matched my PC. Checked my PC and it is NTFS so I reformatted that way, no longer worked. Files synced, but when I tried to access from my phone it said nothing was there. If I opened from PC, files showed up and opened no problem. Tried exFAT - got same result. Tried FAT - same result. So a card that was working with issues was reformatted and now will not work in phone. If I check storage space from phone, it shows files are there, but they don't show up under music memory used or pictures, show up under "Other" and the phone wont recognize them. Any suggestions? I saw one somewhere that suggested now reformatting my phone. Kind of a frustrating problem.