Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree3Likes
  1. dukrem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
       #1  
    I think nokia really missed an opportunity to have a second compelling device.

    They really needed a smaller high end device to really go toe to toe with the iphone. It needs a 4.0-4.3 inch 768p screen, same camera module as 920 but without OIS, and it needs to be very thin with top build quality and materials. Where the 920's philosophy was getting maximum technology into a phone regardless of size and weight, the 820's could and should have been just the opposite: getting the best tech possible into a small, light, sleek, high quality chassis.

    But instead it just looks like they're trying to use up leftover parts from the 900 - 8MP f2.2 non-BSI camera, 4.3" 800x480 screen. Too many phone manufacturers are obsessed with specs and the need to have a single clear flagship device. Why not have 2 flagship models for completely different users and as a result get much better market coverage.

    I know Nokia is trying to do it's own thing rather than focus on it's competitors' strategies, but they could really have cornered Apple and co. The internet is abuzz with talk of how the lumia has all this tech that isn't in iphone 5 or G SIII, but a lot of people are now pointing at the weight and thickness as a pitfall. If only we could say to the naysayers 'just look at the 820 then'.
  2. argenys's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #2  
    I can't say that all your points are valid. The 820 is rumored to have a better camera than the Galaxy S3 and a better construction. The 820 will be the only phone with a changable body, not just removable. This will increase the value of the device tremendously, why? all you need to do is keep the screen protected, the moment you want to sell just change the body if necessary and get a good return from it. The screen is said to include the new sypnatics technology for an extra sensitive screen, something that only the 920 will have in the market. The clearblack tech is also coming to the 820, i'm not sure if the second generation coating and new screen software for color correction. All in all its not the best phone but apart from having an HD screen this device has everything that it needs to compete with other "High end" phones let alone "Mid Range"
  3. #3  
    The only thing that I felt was a fail was the screen resolution
  4. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,705 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,140 Global Posts
    #4  
    The 820 isn't the flag ship. It's fine as is.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8)


  5. addman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    #5  
    I've now accepted the occlusion of gorilla glass 2. I now rather look at the benefits, replaceable covers and batteries, micro SD expansion etc. Also, it has all of the Nokia goodies on it like Music, Maps and stuff. Having the same hardware specs -cpu, RAM etc.- and lower price than the 920 also makes it more attractive for me. Main thing though, it's got WP8 and that is the most important thing of all. Unless there will be a fantastic deal on the 920 with any of the Finnish providers then I'll definitely get the 820, no doubt.
  6. dukrem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
       #6  
    At least there are a few people interested in it then. I really hope those rumours about the camera are true, the specs make it looks suspiciously like it'll be the same module as the 900. I have to agree that if the screen were higher res I'd feel a lot better about it.
  7. #7  
    For me not having any kind of gorilla glass knocked it out of contention for my dollars. I'm a welder and I frequently have small sharp pieces of steel in my clothing and embedded in my hands. Regular old glass will get shredded in record time. I'm fine with WVGA and even if it's the 900 camera it's still an upgrade from my HD7.
  8. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    #8  
    At first I wasn't interested in the 820 at all, but I've watched some videos and read a bit about it and it's pretty nice. I think I could live with it for two years. I would prefer the 920, but I'll have to see what my carrier offers.
  9. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #9  
    Whilst gorilla glass would have been great I think I will manage ok without it, I tend to look after my phones. I will probably get a case or pouch of some sort for when it is in my handbag and that to protect it from keys/coins or other stuff that lurks in there!

    I always use screen protectors too.

    It's a lovely wee phone I think, the changeable covers appeal, typing with gloves on on cold winter days whilst waiting for the train to work etc also appeal.

    The camera will be good enough for me I think for everyday kind of shots that I normally take with a phone. It will also be much much better than the camera on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 so it is an upgrade for me that way.

    Pity these phones aren't launching next week! :lol: I must be patient.
  10. addman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    Whilst gorilla glass would have been great I think I will manage ok without it, I tend to look after my phones. I will probably get a case or pouch of some sort for when it is in my handbag and that to protect it from keys/coins or other stuff that lurks in there!

    I always use screen protectors too.

    It's a lovely wee phone I think, the changeable covers appeal, typing with gloves on on cold winter days whilst waiting for the train to work etc also appeal.

    The camera will be good enough for me I think for everyday kind of shots that I normally take with a phone. It will also be much much better than the camera on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 so it is an upgrade for me that way.

    Pity these phones aren't launching next week! :lol: I must be patient.
    I also look forward to be able to use it with gloves, after all, we almost have 6 months of winter here. I hope we'll get some kind of announcements next week but I'm not holding my breath though. Gotta be patient! gotta be patient!:)
  11. TJWINS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaRed View Post
    Whilst gorilla glass would have been great I think I will manage ok without it, I tend to look after my phones. I will probably get a case or pouch of some sort for when it is in my handbag and that to protect it from keys/coins or other stuff that lurks in there!

    I always use screen protectors too.

    It's a lovely wee phone I think, the changeable covers appeal, typing with gloves on on cold winter days whilst waiting for the train to work etc also appeal.

    The camera will be good enough for me I think for everyday kind of shots that I normally take with a phone. It will also be much much better than the camera on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 so it is an upgrade for me that way.

    Pity these phones aren't launching next week! :lol: I must be patient.
    I also have a BlackBerry Bold 9900 and it is a horrible camera. It doesn't even have autofocus so anything would be an upgrade from that. I love my Bold but its time to make a move and I can't wait for the Lumia 820. I just hope WP8 won't disappoint in the business category as there are a lot of features missing in 7.5.
  12. ankitsagwekar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #12  
    i was plainig to buy 820 without looking any other option. but is don't have Gorilla Glass so now i m looking for any other device before buying 820
    if price of 820 is same as 720 while 720 was launch i will buy it or wait for any better deal .
  13. Scout_313's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #13  
    Considering the fact that the overall performance of the 820 will be on par with that of the 920, I don't think it's a letdown at all. Providing such a solid phone at a cheaper price point is a smart move on Nokia's part.
  14. Satchef1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #14  
    Price will swing it for me. Seems like a nice enough device, but there's enough of a gap between the 820 and 920 that I'd expect the 820 to be significantly cheaper. While I'd love a 920, if I can get the 820 on Vodafone on my current price plan, I'd certainly have something to think about.
  15. fc000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    177 Posts
    #15  
    I was really hoping the 820 was going to be a similar relation to the 800 and 900. I love the features of the 920, but what is with the obsession of making these massive phones? I'd love to have the 920s features, in an 800 package, and sadly the 820 isn't that. The 800 can easily be used with one hand.... the 920 is about the same size as a Galaxy S3, and that thing is massive.
  16. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    967 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fc000 View Post
    I'd love to have the 920s features, in an 800 package, and sadly the 820 isn't that.
    And to be fair, Nokia are skint. They can't afford to have a range of 50 different phones, to suit the needs of every single consumer.

    They've rightly got a hero device, and a mid-spec device. Do them both properly, and if WP8 performs well, they'll then have the ability to diversify into more phones to capture more of the market.
  17. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fc000 View Post
    I was really hoping the 820 was going to be a similar relation to the 800 and 900. I love the features of the 920, but what is with the obsession of making these massive phones? I'd love to have the 920s features, in an 800 package, and sadly the 820 isn't that. The 800 can easily be used with one hand.... the 920 is about the same size as a Galaxy S3, and that thing is massive.
    It may actually be a few mm shorter.

    I have a HTC One X, dimensions are:-

    height 134.36 mm
    Width 69.9
    Depth 8.9mm
    weight 130g

    I think the Sgs3 is marginally taller than the One X but I may be wrong.

    Nokia 920:-

    Height 130.3mm
    Width 70.8mm
    Depth 10.77mm
    Weight 185g

    Nokia Lumia 820

    height 123.8mm
    Width 68.5mm
    Depth 9.9mm
    Weight 160g
  18. fc000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    177 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    And to be fair, Nokia are skint. They can't afford to have a range of 50 different phones, to suit the needs of every single consumer.
    While true, they don't need to make a variation for every single consumer, the current direction of being able to only get the best features on the massive phone is getting annoying. Gizmodo just posted an article on this very issue, why are the "smaller" variation phones, also crappier from a specs perspective?

    When Did Small Phones Become Crappy Phones? - Gizmodo

    I would love a Lumia 920 in an 800 sized package, not a feature stripped, smaller phone.
  19. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #19  
    The Lumia 820 is looking pretty good in comparison with the HTC 8S. 4.3" instead of 4.0" screen, 8 gb instead of 4 gb onboard storage, 1 GB instead of 512 mb ram, and an 8 megapixel, f/2.2 camera instead of 5 megapixel, f/2.8. I think the 8S's case is more attractive, but other than that, the 820 walks all over it.
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  20. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    #20  
    missing gorilla glass nothing more
    the rest of the specifications are great for midrange phone
  21. ricardios's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by torchxit View Post
    missing gorilla glass nothing more
    the rest of the specifications are great for midrange phone
    I'm really hoping Nokia did their testing on the 820's screen. With no gorilla glass they better have chosen another quality scratch resistant display
    BellaRed likes this.
  22. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardios View Post
    I'm really hoping Nokia did their testing on the 820's screen. With no gorilla glass they better have chosen another quality scratch resistant display
    sorry but there isn't any scratch resistant screen
    if they have to implement scratch resistant screen gorilla glass will be their choice
    what i would like to know how much scratch resistant screen will increase price of the phone and how much it will drop the price if there isn't any
  23. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #23  
    I don't buy for a second that there's no scratch resistant screen just because there's no Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (TM). Corning is not the only company that makes scratch-resistant glass, and competitors with less name recognition probably offer scratch-resistant glass at a fraction of the price. So you go with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for your flagship due to name recognition, and you go with brand X scratch-resistant glass on the mid-range device for 90% the scratch resistance with 50% of the cost.
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
    Scout_313 and ccaballero like this.
  24. Scout_313's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    I don't buy for a second that there's no scratch resistant screen just because there's no Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (TM). Corning is not the only company that makes scratch-resistant glass, and competitors with less name recognition probably offer scratch-resistant glass at a fraction of the price. So you go with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for your flagship due to name recognition, and you go with brand X scratch-resistant glass on the mid-range device for 90% the scratch resistance with 50% of the cost.
    I always get a kick out of people who say that they won't buy a phone unless there is proof that they could use the phone as a hammer in a pinch. There will definitely be a quality panel on the phone.
  25. #25  
    I'm a guy that just tosses my phone in my pocket with keys, loose change, ECT. Why even take a chance? Nothing worse than a scuffed screen. Also, 1650 battery is a joke in a 4.3 phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions