I'm pretty new to the NFC world as this is my first phone with it, but I don't understand how our Lumia 810 can have an NFC chip and not allow payments. Is this a hardware issue, or just more firmware problems for our poor Lumia 810?

This is a VERY GOOD question. I have the same problems with my 920.
    People tell me the provider has to support it. its the same **** as with data sense.
    MS didnt learn. As soon as the provider is allowed to interfere - they will and cause the customer a pain in the backside!

I was just researching this. From Microsoft: Wallet FAQ
    Credit or debit cards – Purchase apps and games in the Windows Phone Store, or simply keep track of your card account info. And if your service provider and phone support it, you can even set up credit or debit cards to make NFC purchases in stores. (This requires a special, secure SIM card.)

Now, the question is Does T-mobile have a "Secure SIM card"? I'm still researching.

More info:
    Why can't I make NFC transactions with my phone?
    While every Windows Phone 8 has a Wallet Hub, not all support NFC transactions. The easiest way to check and see if your phone supports NFC transactions is to go to your Wallet settings. In Wallet, tap More , and then tap Settings+PIN. If you don't see an option to turn on "NFC transactions," then your phone doesn't support it.
    At the moment, only a small number of mobile operators offer phones that support this feature. However, we're working hard to get additional mobile operators on board, and we expect the number of Windows Phones that support NFC transactions to grow.
    Guz

iPhone 3G
    Blackberry 6320
    Lumia 810
    Thanked by:

OK, more digging.

Most of the mobile carriers (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile) created ISIS Wallet. BUT, it is still in it's infancy. You have to have a special secure SIM (and possibly a "Secure NFC/SIM" which has it's own NFC on the SIM card, but not the NFC already in most WP8 devices, maybe. Still not sure about this), and also live in either Salt Lake City, Utah or Austin, Texas. They are the test locations right now.

And supposedly, Windows Phone 8 Wallet is ISIS compatible.
    Guz

iPhone 3G
    Blackberry 6320
    Lumia 810
    Thanked by:
    It is. The problem here is Rogers doesn't support it. Rogers worked with CIBC to make mobile payments available through NFC on sh*tberries... I mean blackberries, but no other bank or carrier supports it in Canada.

Well I live in Salt Lake City Utah and my device as far as I am concerned doesn't have ISIS support

Isis is working on it. They have just started a list of people to notify when it is available by tweeting @paywithisis.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    It is. The problem here is Rogers doesn't support it. Rogers worked with CIBC to make mobile payments available through NFC on sh*tberries... I mean blackberries, but no other bank or carrier supports it in Canada.
    I just picked up a Rogers SureTap SIM card (it's supposed to be a "Secure SIM") for my Lumia 1020 hoping it would enable the NFC Transactions option inside of the Wallet app. I just activated the SIM card, and unfortunately there is no option available inside of the wallet to enable "NFC Transactions". I'm sad :(
    Last edited by StephenWagner7; 10-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWagner7 View Post
    I just picked up a Rogers SureTap SIM card (it's supposed to be a "Secure SIM") for my Lumia 1020 hoping it would enable the NFC Transactions option inside of the Wallet app. I just activated the SIM card, and unfortunately there is no option available inside of the wallet to enable "NFC Transactions". I'm sad :(
    I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Lumia 920. Thanks for the feedback. I've researched this NFC payment thing for that past few days and I'm discovering that even if you have the correct SIM card, you'll still need the mobile payment app to make purchases. Unfortunately, there is still no word on when exactly any of the big 5 banks plan to release a mobile payment app for Windows Phone 8.