Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MSFTisMIA
  1.    #1  
    I missed out on the last promotion because the offer was only for new customers and this one is too. It's one of the deals that where there is a $50 mail-in rebate card. So it's "free", according to the website, but...ya know. Anyway, I am contemplating calling the loyalty department to see if I can get in on this or not like had been suggested before.

    Link

    Debating between this deal or just dumping TMo for the 920 over at AT&T. (This, of course, will all have to be negotiated with the wife.)
  2. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,587 Global Posts
    #2  
    Steve, it depends on what your needs are and your bargaining power with the wife...

    I rock a L810. My needs were expandable memory and removable battery. So far the phone hasn't disappointed. I've also got a Galaxy Nexus with a SuperAMOLED HD screen and the L810'S is for me a slight drop off, but still very good. Obviously the 920 has the killer cam and the extra wow factor. But the 810 is an LTE phone that T-MO will switch on with a software update. Plus the 810's cam is actually better than people give it credit for.

    Phone to phone, the 920 is better...but my T-Mo plan is pretty nice...i couldn't find that on AT&T, so I stayed.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    Steve, it depends on what your needs are and your bargaining power with the wife...

    I rock a L810. My needs were expandable memory and removable battery. So far the phone hasn't disappointed. I've also got a Galaxy Nexus with a SuperAMOLED HD screen and the L810'S is for me a slight drop off, but still very good. Obviously the 920 has the killer cam and the extra wow factor. But the 810 is an LTE phone that T-MO will switch on with a software update. Plus the 810's cam is actually better than people give it credit for.

    Phone to phone, the 920 is better...but my T-Mo plan is pretty nice...i couldn't find that on AT&T, so I stayed.
    This is my issue. My TMo plan is awesome and I am not a fan of switching carriers since I am pretty satisfied with TMo's coverage in my area. Thanks.

    Maybe I will give the loyalty department a call.
  4. sravanv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Helicopter Steve View Post
    This is my issue. My TMo plan is awesome and I am not a fan of switching carriers since I am pretty satisfied with TMo's coverage in my area. Thanks.

    Maybe I will give the loyalty department a call.
    Also, you might want to look into the bridge to value option. The cost of value plans are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than classic plans. If you get this phone for free or $50 and pay the $200 migration fee to value plans, that's a killer saving option right there (I wish I had known about this as well).

    Essentially, you pay a super cheap plan but have to bring your own phone. Until then, T-Mo is trying to move customers over to value plan pricing if they're classic plan customers.

    You could also buy an 810 off of craigslist or ebay for about 300 and use that instead. Options, options!
  5.    #5  
    BUMP

    This is now free until 2/18. They ditched the mail in rebate thang.
  6.    #6  
    Talked to loyalty and T-Mobile won't do much for me. Now contemplating leaving.
  7. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,587 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Helicopter Steve View Post
    Talked to loyalty and T-Mobile won't do much for me. Now contemplating leaving.
    Sorry the loyalty program isn't helping as much. Well, is your handset on its last legs? If not, I would hang tight and see what gets announced at Mobile World Congress this month. Or if your heart is set on the 920, maybe getting an unlocked one if you want to keep the savings on the monthly bill...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    Sorry the loyalty program isn't helping as much. Well, is your handset on its last legs? If not, I would hang tight and see what gets announced at Mobile World Congress this month. Or if your heart is set on the 920, maybe getting an unlocked one if you want to keep the savings on the monthly bill...
    The loyalty department acted terribly. They tried to pressure me into changing plans and accepting and alternate pricing to the two lines. I told him that I would need to discuss it with my wife, and the guy just told me that it was a one time offer and that if I called back he couldn't guarantee the same pricing for the devices. The guy also tried to convince me get a couple Galaxy S2's for $50 each. I told him if that was the route I was ever going to take, then he should just give me those phones. Seriously, the S2 is a nice device and all, but it is old like a lot of that stuff they are selling these days. In fact, the phones that I am calling to replace (the G2 and MyTouch 4g) are still being sold by T-Mobile.

    I'm just going to punt for a bit. I just want to get rid of these ancient Android devices, but I can wait.
  9. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,587 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Helicopter Steve View Post
    The loyalty department acted terribly. They tried to pressure me into changing plans and accepting and alternate pricing to the two lines. I told him that I would need to discuss it with my wife, and the guy just told me that it was a one time offer and that if I called back he couldn't guarantee the same pricing for the devices. The guy also tried to convince me get a couple Galaxy S2's for $50 each. I told him if that was the route I was ever going to take, then he should just give me those phones. Seriously, the S2 is a nice device and all, but it is old like a lot of that stuff they are selling these days. In fact, the phones that I am calling to replace (the G2 and MyTouch 4g) are still being sold by T-Mobile.

    I'm just going to punt for a bit. I just want to get rid of these ancient Android devices, but I can wait.
    Sorry to see you had such a gas bag experience with the loyalty department. That's why one of my good friends switched to AT&T last year. They really are selling older stuff these days. Still, depending what Nokia announces, you might get something decent, especially on a special. I think the Lumia 620 may come to T-Mo, if you like smaller handsets, and perhaps T-Mo will get their version of the 920. I liked those old Androids you're trying to punt back in the days, especially the G2. Perhaps hanging tight is best for you.

    Have you played with the 810 in the store though? I do love mine.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSFTisMIA View Post
    Sorry to see you had such a gas bag experience with the loyalty department. That's why one of my good friends switched to AT&T last year. They really are selling older stuff these days. Still, depending what Nokia announces, you might get something decent, especially on a special. I think the Lumia 620 may come to T-Mo, if you like smaller handsets, and perhaps T-Mo will get their version of the 920. I liked those old Androids you're trying to punt back in the days, especially the G2. Perhaps hanging tight is best for you.

    Have you played with the 810 in the store though? I do love mine.
    I have played with the 810 and really like it. I love my G2, but its time has passed. Also, both it and my wife's phone will no longer receive any updates ever. This is why I find it odd that TMo is still hocking them. Coming out the door they are out of date and insecure. This is my beef with Android in general. I know that I can load a custom rom (which is really a cool thing!), but I really don't feel like I should have to, ya know? To me, it seems unseemly to sell devices that are a top target of malware without at least applying basic security fixes. Most users don't want to, don't know how to, or just don't know that they can, -and in cases like mine- , don't know that they should flash them to something a bit more secure.

    The G2, for example, had Flash loaded by default. There was no way to remove it unless you flash the whole thing. The last update for Flash came in June of last year. Lameness.

    I played with WP8 on both the 8x and the 810 a lot in the stores and really liked them both. The flexibility of the 810 won me over, however. Not to mention it being a Nokia device. I got time, but I am also eager to replace these devices with something else.
  11.    #11  
    Just worked out pretty good deal with Tmo for the 810 and the One S (for my wife). Stoked. I didn't get them for free, but I got the prices knocked down from what they were asking a bit and they are going to pay a month's bill. So it worked out cool. I think the key is that you have to get the right rep to make something happen.

    Anyways the deal foe the 810 for free to new customers ends tomorrow.
  12. KorJax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #12  
    Honestly I didn't go with this because they make you get a classic plan (expensive, $70-80/mo minimum if you plan on including more than just the most basic 200mb data connection) in order to get the deal price. It would have been worth it for the value plan ($50/mo for 500min, unlimited text and data with 2gb at 4g).

    Instead what I ended up doing is just buying the phone itself brand new from ebay for $285 (free shipping), then order a sim card online for it to get the $30/mo plan with unlimited text+data (5gb up to 4g speed), and 100mins. Plus I'm not on a contract.

    Doing what I did total cost: $1005 (over 2 years)
    Doing this deal (free phone on the cheapest classic contract data plan): $1680 (over two years, stuck with contract)
  13. MSFTisMIA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,587 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Helicopter Steve View Post
    Just worked out pretty good deal with Tmo for the 810 and the One S (for my wife). Stoked. I didn't get them for free, but I got the prices knocked down from what they were asking a bit and they are going to pay a month's bill. So it worked out cool. I think the key is that you have to get the right rep to make something happen.

    Anyways the deal foe the 810 for free to new customers ends tomorrow.
    Glad to see you got a deal that you liked. Sometimes it just boils down to getting the right rep. I was off contract for two years because nothing I saw was appealing. I almost switched to AT&T for the Lumia 900...now I'm glad I didn't, as much as I liked that phone. I went back on contract because I didn't have the cash to buy the Lumia outright at the time by selling my now spare phone (G. Nexus).

Similar Threads

  1. Lumia 810 free until tomorrow (1/27) Online
    By Black Helicopter Steve in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
  2. T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 810 Free Today Only (Online Deal)
    By Dr.8820 in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 11:36 PM
  3. Lumia 810 is super thick
    By brmiller1976 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
  4. Lumia 810 announced coming to T-Mobile
    By Siah1214 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Posting Permissions

B