Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Heron_Kusanagi
  1.    #1  
    Was a Nokia supporter for life till I decided to get in the smartphone craze by borrowing my friend's backup phone to use, a crappy Android (LG Optimus One) and the Lumia 800 is like a breath of fresh air.

- Screen. I really wonder what did Nokia do with their AMOLED, it's so different from Samsung for some weird reason.

- Being a ridiculously heavy user reading blogs and news whenever I can, I find the previous Android battery life really lacking to the point that I got an external battery just to last me through the day, if not it can last me 3 hours max. Well, with as heavy use, at least the Lumia can take 5 hours before it dies. Still, with support from my external battery, that time extends to 9 hours.

- Metro. The whole thing just clicks for me very well. It didn't hurt to have read about Metro before I jumped in but damn, it's so intuitive.

- Apps. Weird since I came from Android, but I really appreciate the smoothness of the apps a lot more. Whatsapp is great in Metro, FB and Twitter is super intuitive, and the only apps I do miss are Path and Line by Naver.

- Lack of lag. I wonder how do they do this. But heck, it's fun showing how lag free the phone is even when considering the apps I already got inside the phone.

- Keyboard. This keyboard is great. None of the keyboards in Android really suited me. This one is insanely good. Rarely do I type wrong.

Cons
    - Volume. It's a problem of WP7, but seperating the volume controls for music and phone would be nice.

- Chrome strip. Scratched. Irritating about what is otherwise a flawless device.

- Fingerprints. My hands are sweaty by nature, so I need a lint-free cloth by my side or it just looks bad.

- Restarted on me twice after listening to music, using Pulse and Whatsapp. Although that's pretty isolated, so I hope it doesn't happen again

A happy user otherwise. Although that said, can't wait for Apollo. :)
    speedtouch and hipporama like this.

Sounds like pretty much the same experience I'm having. Even I've had the phone for a couple of weeks now.

The AMOLED being different to a Samsung SuperAMOLED is probably because of the polarizing filter they have (ClearBlack) which reduces glare and makes the phone readable in sunlight and also makes the blacks really deep.
  3.    #3  
    ClearBlack must be pixie dust if it makes Samsung AMOLED screens look this good. :)

Global Posts
    973 Global Posts
    The Amoled screens differ from one another in the sense that the Samsung screen is RGB while we have a pentile screen. The Samsung one is sharper but I think our pentile screens have more natural colors and are able to display white better? Warmer in color and not as blue as the Samsung screen is. Also the response time of the pentile screen is better I believe.
  5.    #5  
    Well, the Galaxy Nexus uses a Pentile display but the Lumia's blacks is just outstanding.

I really can't wait for the Apollo refresh. Saving my upgrade till then.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    From what I have read, the L800 uses a Pentile screen, but the 900 uses the exact same Super AMOLED screen as Samsung devices, but with Clear Black tech added.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Where did you read that? I thought they had the same screen just the 900 was bigger

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Glad to hear you like it. Mine is in the post now and I should see it in a week to ten days, mail is so damn slow in Afghanistan.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Global Posts
    973 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MAERSK View Post
    Where did you read that? I thought they had the same screen just the 900 was bigger
    Nope. The 900 has RGB display while 800 has pentile. So they will differ somewhat in behavior/appearance.