Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello everyone!

I've ordered a Lumia 800 from the UK. It hasn't arrived yet but I got nervous reading a post on Nokia's support forum, saying that while the specs say it supports UMTS 850, it doesn't seem to actually work on it...

Anyone noticed any problems with this?

I'm on Rogers network in Canada. If this is true, does anyone know if this will actually affect my coverage?

Thanks!

Recieved my Lumia yesterday and I'm on Rogers to I get both 2G and 3G just fine I havent checked for HSPDA+ so far so good!

This phone is sooo slick where are you located Vancouver?

Thanks for the reply, it made me a little less stressed out, ha ha...

I'm in Edmonton and I ordered the phone from Clove.co.uk. It's supposed to be delivered today. Where did you buy your phone?

Same dealer Clove.UK preordered shipped last Friday arrived Monday. I paid 118$ in duties :(

Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    I paid 118$ in duties :(
    Really?! How come so much? I was thinking it'd be about $50 between GST and DHL's fee. There's not supposed to be duty on cell phones, I checked with customs

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Recieved my Lumia yesterday and I'm on Rogers to I get both 2G and 3G just fine I havent checked for HSPDA+ so far so good!

This phone is sooo slick where are you located Vancouver?
    Say what now??? You got it to work on 3G? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it works on Rogers, it should work on AT&T... Which means I may consider picking one up myself :D

It should I'm going to be going to the states on Saturday I will check it out. IMO wait for the US Lumia phones with FFC, NFC, LTE dont get a Lumia 800. I only bought this because I gave away my Focus and I am one-for-one

One of the first people to have the iPhone 1 in Canada (before unlock) and now look where it is now.

Now I am one of the first to have the Lumia which hopefully yeilds the same result :)

@based_graham

Where are you located? How fast is the 3G working for you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too concerned if I can't get super high-speed with this phone, but I will need to use it for simple browsing, e-mails, facebook, apps, etc. I don't care about LTE, FFC or NFC so I didn't want to wait for a North American release.

It would suck if I have to return it... I picked this phone because they said it had 3G coverage for both NA and EU, which is imperative to me as I travel A LOT! And now they just change their minds... :mad: I see some stores have changed their spec sheets, but Nokia's own website still insists it has 850 coverage...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Say what now??? You got it to work on 3G? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it works on Rogers, it should work on AT&T... Which means I may consider picking one up myself :D
    Just be careful it covers either AT&T 3G or T-Mobile 3G. Both are available for import: Unlocked Smart Phones | Blackberry, iPhone, Android, Symbian, Windows and more at MobileCityOnline.com
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by trmnta82 View Post
    @based_graham

Where are you located? How fast is the 3G working for you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too concerned if I can't get super high-speed with this phone, but I will need to use it for simple browsing, e-mails, facebook, apps, etc. I don't care about LTE, FFC or NFC so I didn't want to wait for a North American release.

It would suck if I have to return it... I picked this phone because they said it had 3G coverage for both NA and EU, which is imperative to me as I travel A LOT! And now they just change their minds... :mad: I see some stores have changed their spec sheets, but Nokia's own website still insists it has 850 coverage...
    Located in Vancouver what app do you recommend for speed tests?

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Just be careful it covers either AT&T 3G or T-Mobile 3G. Both are available for import: Unlocked Smart Phones | Blackberry, iPhone, Android, Symbian, Windows and more at MobileCityOnline.com
    AFAIK, Rogers and ATT have the same 3G frequency. Different from T-Mo. ATT 3G will also work with some carriers in Mexico.

So I checked with a couple of blogs/websites that have done a review of the Lumia and it is supposed to have 3G on AT&T, which means it should have it on Rogers as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Located in Vancouver what app do you recommend for speed tests?
    I don't have a windows phone yet so I don't know... ;)

But just the general "feel" when you're browsing etc.?

I don't have a windows phone yet so I don't know... ;)

But just the general "feel" when you're browsing etc.?
    Everything from OS, Browser, Mango Apps is butter smooth. For example it rendered ESPN.com in less than 5 seconds this thing is super fast and man what a slick phone. All I have to say is too bad it doesn't have a FFC, NFC and LTE so its not very future proof.

I will be getting the Lumia 900 or any newer Nokia Apollo Models next year

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    That's awesome, congrats!
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....

Thanks its a amazing phone Nokia wasn't lying.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    Works on ATT's 3g bands. I wish it'd worked on T-mobiles. I do miss them.

Got my phone late last night thanks to an awesome DHL guy who agreed to deliver it on his way home from his shift! ;)

I can confirm it does work on Rogers/Fido 3G. Love this phone!

I also only had to pay $36 in taxes/fees, so I'm pretty happy about that! :D

Got my phone late last night thanks to an awesome DHL guy who agreed to deliver it on his way home from his shift! ;)

I can confirm it does work on Rogers/Fido 3G. Love this phone!

I also only had to pay $36 in taxes/fees, so I'm pretty happy about that! :D
    Wow really I got jipped

Wow really I got jipped
    Yeah, that's weird. Even though I'm in Alberta and only have GST added, but even at that it shouldn't be so much... Isn't the HST in BC like 12%?

I noticed that they calculate the tax based on value in CAD. Maybe you got a different exchange rate or something? I noticed the exchange rate on mine was better than what I had calculated for myself when I bought it.

No idea but you got it from DHL right I will call them up and see why its so expensive it shouldn't cost that much.

No idea but you got it from DHL right I will call them up and see why its so expensive it shouldn't cost that much.
    DHL yeah.

Hey Guys,

I got my lumia a couple days ago in vancouver from Clove as well. I paid 78.54 for taxes and duty for it.

I had a quick question though, I've noticed that 3G is working fine but i've also noticed that occasionally my phone shows me an H instead of a 3G which means HSDPA+. Is there any reason why our phones don't have H coverage more often? I only ever get it for a couple seconds now and then. I also find that my 3G coverage isn't as strong as it used to be on my HD7S. Not to sure if this is specific to my handset or if people are noticing it too.

Loving the phone otherwise. Quite an amazing piece of hardware.

Also, i'm a bit puzzled as to why you had to pay 118 for duty when I only had to pay 78??? And we're both in Vancouver... :S
    Last edited by malik2k1; 12-07-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,922 Global Posts
    Sounds like someone might be $40 richer... :dry

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

No idea calling DHL tommorow

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast