Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

hey,
    i recently purchased a Lumia 720 and have been using it for about 20 days.

4 days back when i plugged in the phone to a wall charger (using the original Nokia charger) my phone display stopped working.

i tried doing the Soft Reset (holding the power and volume key for 10 seconds) but the phone just doesn't vibrate or boot up. However, when i plug the phone to my laptop - it shows the phone contents. I have tried everything - lest taking it to the service centre.

any help would be much appreciated.

Global Posts
    31,335 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

I'm sorry to hear that the display is not working. Have you tried a hard reset? FAQ - Nokia Lumia 720 - My phone does not work or respond as expected - Nokia - UK

Thank you Laura for welcoming me to the community.

I went through the FAQ from Nokia page and unfortunately both Soft and Hard reset steps don't work for me.

The screen does not work - im not sure what else to do; will probably have to take it to Nokia Care centre.

Global Posts
    31,335 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by djay_434 View Post
    Thank you Laura for welcoming me to the community.

I went through the FAQ from Nokia page and unfortunately both Soft and Hard reset steps don't work for me.

The screen does not work - im not sure what else to do; will probably have to take it to Nokia Care centre.
    I'm sorry to hear hard reset didn't work either. 😞

Yes, I'd recommend taking it to Nokia Care in that case.

Please let us know what happens. I hope Nokia gets it sorted quickly.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hello. I had this same issue twice on my 720. My diagnosis is the screen stops working but everything else is working fine. My phone even rang when I called it from another. To solve it, I held the power button only for a few seconds and after the vibration I slided down on my screen. The phone then shut off and when I restarted it everything was fine. Just imagine that you are switching off your phone. Hold the power key, after vibration slide down on the screen and it'll turn off. After a minute, turn it back on the normal way. No need for soft or hard reset.

Hope this solves it for you!

Cheers!

thanks Muhdalam.

Finally the device now works -

After about a week of being dead and trying every possible documented way this is what I did -

1. Unplug the charger from the phone, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Switch off the phone (even though the screen is blank, swipe your finger down as if switching the phone off)

2. Do a soft reset - normally this is about 10 seconds of long press of Volume low + power button; for me I had to long press for about 15 seconds.

The phone now vibrates and restarts.

Hope it helps for people who face it.

-Djay.
    Thanked by:

Thnks...it worked for me....

Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
    I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
    However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
    Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
    I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

Good bye MS and NOKIA

Rein in your horses my friend!

First of all, quite sad to know about your disappointing experience, but then again - try the solutions which I mentioned above in this thread. In all likelihood you will get the phone up and running.

Regarding the experience you had with Nokia Care, I would suggest that you drop in an email to the global Nokia help desk mentioning in detail the entire experience and the event flow. I'm sure they would be able to help you out.

-Djay.

when i bought lumia 720 after 2 days its screen goes black ... that time i really disappointed then i tried soft reset (volume low + power button) and finally it started....!!!!!!! again after 2 days same thing happen frm there i haven't got any problem

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djay_434 View Post
    2. Do a soft reset - normally this is about 10 seconds of long press of Volume low + power button; for me I had to long press for about 15 seconds
    There is this myth about holding the volume and power buttons for 10 seconds to reset. I wish I knew where that came from.
    It's 15 seconds. See official source: FAQ: FAQ - How do I reset my Nokia Lumia if it does not work properly? - Nokia - USA

did it happen again ???

Everything said here is just about getting through the problem. Can we know why is this happening and what is the ultimate solution for it. I am quite happy with my phone but it happened twice that it just went blackout and nothing seems to be working. However, it awakened by itself and everything was normal again. Can we try to find the root cause and it fixed once for all..

Thank you so much this really helped a lot!!!
    Hi,
    I have the same problem! But even worse, my touch isn't working and my volume down key isn't working. Only back button, windows button and search button work sometimes. Some one help me out with a solution.

Thanks,
    Lohi

Hello Lohi,

I'm not sure how to help you out here - if there hardware buttons itself are not working then I suppose you have no other option than to see the Nokia Doctors (read the service centre).

Hope they can fix the issues! Update the thread on how it goes.

-Djay.
    Hi Djay,
    Thanks! I got it repaired from service center. They say some dust problem. Today the blackout happened again, but i rebooted as i got my hardware keys fixed.

Thanks Djay,

its really help to to solve my issue.
    i would like to suggest to every one please do not pull the power cable from mobile charging slot directly.
    first switch off the switch and then do it.

thanks for that one :)
    Worked perfectly

Hello.I have Lumia 720.phone memory written OTHER.what's is this? Please help me!!!
    My 720 had an issue with the headphones ... due to a loose connection, sound would be there only in one ear piece ... took it for repair at a Nokia Care Centre ... they fixed the head phone issue but created a screen dead issue ...

Once in a while ... the screen would go dead ... it would take me atleast 10 to 15 presses of the power button to get the screen back on ... this happens atleast 5 or 6 times a day ... and at a time when this problem is occuring, when the phone switches on ... when i go to the settings > glance ... its blank ... no choices or options are there ... however after a restart if my glance is working fine , then the screen blackout doesnt happen !!!

thanks dude!!!!! i had my lumia 1320 creating the same problem.....switching off blindly and a soft reset worked :D :D :D was really worried that this happened :( but cheers :D :D :D
    and btw a small doubt....does nokia do services to these kind of problems under warranty???i mean free of cost??
    if the soft reset didnt work and display has to b changed ...stuffs like dat

tq so much....it really worked out....so relieved.

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bijendra View Post
    Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
    I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
    However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
    Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
    I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

Good bye MS and NOKIA
    try akosha, you will get help guarenteed\
    akosha is a site which contacts heads of all companies in india to fix even small problems
    they charge Rs200 if you are satisfied

Thanks Djay.

I was also facing same problem and its solved by following your step# 2

Amaresha,