| | 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM #1
EDIT: REMEMBER TO READ THE UPDATE AT THE END OF POST!!
After my first day of usage i'm here to post my impressions on this device :)
First of all: this is probably the most busy month in my life and i can't be too accurate because the lack of time :(
If i must describe this phone in 4 words i can say "amazing but still incomplete", because yeah it's cool but it has a few bugs that make it feel still a phone "too young for market".
I used a few hours today, with a full reset (i explain this later), a lot of internet browsing, downloading apps via H+, making a 30min skype video call and after about 20 hours the battery was completely empty. I read a lot of user complain about lumia 920 battery on first days, but seems like it get better performance after a few charges, i hope this 720 will do the same!
So, to schematize my impression:
The good thing:
- is REALLY light, when you see a phone this big (i'm used to an iphone 3gs and an htc mazaa, both of those are smaller) you think about a certain weight, but 130g for this is really nothing!
- it feels soo good in the hand, it's slim and not slippy!
- i take a white one (is the only glossy color, i think i prefered a matte white!) and it's really nice looking
- camera photos on dark are simply amazing, i'll post some photos at the end of post
- screen have very nice colors and the low resolution (800*480) is not a problem at all
- very nice wifi-3g reception
The bad things:
** NOTE that i tried to be a lot evil writing those bad things, i love my phone but i want to be fully objective! check post #6 for clarification about those point **
- sometime animations when opening applications have a little stutter
- some applications (a lot of system application too) have a "loading.." screen before opening. This never happened with my htc mazaa
- it still doesn't have an option to disable hyper-sensitive touch
- internal camera has some auto levels of brigthness. It switch brightness level autmatically, and in some dark condition the screen will flash alternating 2 "far enough to be annoying" level of brightness
- in camera roll some photos thumbnails have a vertical green line on the right
- it rebooted 2 times in 1 day (like the early 920)
- 512mb of ram cuts you out a lot of games. If you want to play with your phone (not my case) you will be really angry about this
- i really don't know why, it sync about 40 contacts from my microsoft account, but i have more than 200! I can see all those contacts in windows 8 and via outlook.com clicking on "people". This is driving me mad!
at first boot i used my microsoft account (that was a @gmail.com address) and it got about 10 contacts. Renaming it to an outlook.com and resetting the phone ended with 40 contacts.. but still not the 200+ i need :( EDIT: found a solution and wrote it here [How to] Fix partial contact sync with Microsoft Account on WP8
- sometime touchscreen is not 100% responsive, it happened just a 3 or 4 times today but when swiping down in the home (without release the finger) an app opened.
- lcd auto-brigthness feels still buggy, sometime it just go down and up with constant ambient light. watt?
So.. it needs a LOT of improvements, now i have this firmware: 1030.6409.1311.0001 and no updates are found. It feels old comparing to 920's 1232.5957.1308.0004, i hope to see some updates soon.
i still don't have lot of nokia application that 920 has, like the "memory check" to free the memory in "other" space :(
well i listed a lot of troubles but the phone is still amazing :P
why? i REALLY love the display, the camera, the lightness, the reception. Let me explain better:
- the display angle visualization is amazing, we have a little skype video-talk and 3 person can see perfectly the screen even if with an high angle. I really love the screen colors too! bright but not over-saturated, really a pleasure to see!
- I took some light (food) photos and some night with all the photo settings, you can just check those at the end of the post
- i already said how much is light and slim but i need to say it more! you need to take one in your hand to realize that!
- reception is very good! Especially if comparated with my iphone 3gs and htc mazaa. My bedroom have a very poor reception, usually my old phones loses signal every 1 or 2 minutes and to make a decent call you need to stay at 1cm from the window. I have a little radio, when i put one of those two my old phones near it i hear an almost-constant noise, it's a pain for the ears. With this lumia.. i can talk in every spot of my room! Now i have 3/5 bars of HSDPA and its really stable! When i put lumia near the radio i hear the classic phone noise, but just once every.. about 5 minutes! Only one word can describe this: AMAZING! i can use a phone in my bedroom for the first time :D
Well then, its time to upload some photos! Sorry for my HORRIBLE english, i'm still praticing it and sometime i really don't know how to say what i want to say :P
** NOTE: i have no idea of the english names of the display modes, so i'm just doing a rough translation of them! **
In cronogical order:
8.35 am, very strong light and hard to take a good shot - auto mode:
13.30 - auto mode:
13:32 - near mode:
22:15 - auto mode:
22:15 - night mode:
22:15 - night picture mode:
22:15 - fast movement mode:
22:16: light against mode:
ok thats all, i hope you enjoyed this! Now i can go back to my phone again eheh
UPDATE: This is a very important update :D
this morning i received a new update for the nokia's "extra + info" app.. and the miracle happen :D It looks like a brand new phone again!
Here what is changed:
- i don't notice stutters even more, even i close heavy app like asphalt 7 and open here maps after that. Really smooth now!!
- in settings i have a few more options: audio, display + touch, and the one for memory management! it showed 700mb of space in "other" and reduced to 34! simply amazing!
- i don't see the green bar in photo thumbnails anymore (but maybe it's just luck, i had only 1 other day to test)
- today 0 reboot!
- touchscreen never failed today
- lcd auto-brightness is working properly
a little miracle :D
still have the internal camera bug and problem with contact sync but well its still amazing :D
i tested here maps for about 15 min of driving, the GPS sensor is really accurate and don't miss a turn, its a perfect 100% usable offline navigator! it can find my position inside my house too and usually phones have a LOT of troubles with GPS here :D
aaanddd here some full resolution shots in daylight (a day full of cloud today sadly :( )
and here a video of asphalt 7 running, it works flawlessy!
i'm loving this phone <3