Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_u14mjT28[/YT]

Just sharing incase it's of any interest folks. :)

Oh and apparently Wind is a small Canadian carrier.

The phone isn't actually running on wind, well it is, but not the wind.

You know what I mean! :lol:
    Last edited by TheWeeBear; 02-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Thanked by:
    Big Supes likes this.

Nice!

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I just bought a Lumia 710 from Rogers (outright), giving my Samsung Focus some downtime.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Excellent. I ordered one yesterday off of the Rogers website. When it gets here I'll use it on Fido and report back. Hopefully all will be fine.

Global Posts
    2,136 Global Posts
    So, theoretically, if a US AT&T customer got one of these Rogers 710 phones and unlocked it, it should work on AT&T?
    Rob
    Lumia 620 on 35orLess

Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    So, theoretically, if a US AT&T customer got one of these Rogers 710 phones and unlocked it, it should work on AT&T?
    Yes. As long as you get the proper unlock code for the original carrier (if it's needed), all will be well in Narnia.
    Thanked by:
    speedtouch likes this.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trickym81 View Post
    Excellent. I ordered one yesterday off of the Rogers website. When it gets here I'll use it on Fido and report back. Hopefully all will be fine.
    Yes, please do. Specifically, does Caller ID work from all sources, and does MMS messaging work?
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Bring On WP8!

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwydionjhr View Post
    Yes, please do. Specifically, does Caller ID work from all sources, and does MMS messaging work?
    I received my phone today. The Fido SIM doesn't work in the Rogers phone so I'll need to get it unlocked. Now I just have to find a reputable place to do so.

Global Posts
    2,136 Global Posts
    I used these guys to unlock a Pantech C520 this past weekend. I bought their service through their eBay store. Fast, cheap, accurate. freedomobile.com
    Rob
    Lumia 620 on 35orLess

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I received my phone today. The Fido SIM doesn't work in the Rogers phone so I'll need to get it unlocked. Now I just have to find a reputable place to do so.
    It's only 30$ to have it done by Rogers. While you could probably get it done for $10 or $20 online, you're giving Rogers an "out" if something goes wrong.
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Bring On WP8!

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I ordered an unlock code from cellunlocker.net.
    Now more waiting...

EDIT: Unlock code received and it works. Caller ID may not work though.
    Last edited by trickym81; 02-06-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Get some friends to call you. Anyone calling me from a Telus phone shows up as "unknown" on my current WM6.5 device. My MMS doesn't work either. Personally I think it's company policy to do these kinds of things to customers with unlocked phones, which is why I'm curious what your experience turns out to be. As far as I'm concerned Rogers and Fido are two sides of the same coin, so everything should work 100%
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    My wife called me from a Rogers phone and it came back as "UNKNOWN."
    I've heard that calling Fido and asking for "number only" caller ID instead of "name and number" fixes it. I'll try that tomorrow.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I have to say that I love this phone so far and it's certainly impressing people.
    My wife already told me that she wants one now and I showed it to someone yesterday who said "Ooooh!" when he saw the metro design and liked how "everything you need is right there."

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    My wife called me from a Rogers phone and it came back as "UNKNOWN."
    I've heard that calling Fido and asking for "number only" caller ID instead of "name and number" fixes it. I'll try that tomorrow.
    I had a problem with my no-contract Lumia 710 on Rogers where people from Telus/Bell would come up as "UNKNOWN" on my phone. I looked the issue up, and it turns out, this isn't new between Rogers and WP devices.

What I did to solve this issue was basically...call Rogers, tell them to remove my combined value pack (has caller ID, name display, voicemail, etc), and then replace it with *just* caller ID, voicemail, etc, but *no* name display. Issue resolved.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilzkh View Post
    I had a problem with my no-contract Lumia 710 on Rogers where people from Telus/Bell would come up as "UNKNOWN" on my phone. I looked the issue up, and it turns out, this isn't new between Rogers and WP devices.

What I did to solve this issue was basically...call Rogers, tell them to remove my combined value pack (has caller ID, name display, voicemail, etc), and then replace it with *just* caller ID, voicemail, etc, but *no* name display. Issue resolved.
    Are you MMS messages functioning?
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Picture MMS works on 3G.
    Last edited by bilzkh; 02-08-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Thanks Bilzkh! Now we just need to hear from TrickyM about whether or not MMS is working on Fido!
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Thanks Bilzkh! Now we just need to hear from TrickyM about whether or not MMS is working on Fido!
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know soon.

As a side note, I dropped my Lumia 710 from my night table onto a hardwood floor this morning when turning off my alarm. There was a moment of intense panic. The phone, however, is fine. Nokia still knows how to make 'em!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Yup. Also TELUS is getting the 800, and they use 850/1900 as well.
    It's only 30$ to have it done by Rogers. While you could probably get it done for $10 or $20 online, you're giving Rogers an "out" if something goes wrong.
    Actually Rogers charges $50 now.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I just tried and MMS does NOT work.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I would call and raise holy **** with them.

I just got off the phone with Fido Technical after getting my Caller Name Display disabled (my Caller ID now works with incoming Telus calls), and I made a point of bringing up my non-functional MMS (which they are more than happy to continue charging me for). I also made a point of saying it was my opinion that Fido was doing this intentionally to unlocked phones, as far as I'm concerned you are the proof of that, and you should lodge a complaint with the CRTC if they can't get it working.
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    What's the price difference on the caller ID without name display. I read somewhere that it's actually more expensive somehow...

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I didn't even ask, the tech just said they were "turning it off". If they charge me more I'm going to be opening up a major can of whoop-***.
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast