Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

hey guys, i'm a android person but got my gf a lumia 521 and she loved it. I ended up purchasing one of the "bring your own phone" sim card kits for t mobile prepaid since the guy i bought the phone off of didn't give me a sim card with it but when the sim card was inserted the phone displayed some error message about the sim card (unfortunately i wasn't there when she put the sim card in so i don't know exactly what it said ) and now the phone wont boot up past the nokia screen, it goes straight to a blank blue screen and nothing else. any ideas what happened or how i can fix this? thanks.

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Take the sim card out what happens...

Reset the phone press hold power vol up+vol down
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

It always go back to the blue screen with or without simcard. And doing the resets I even managed to get it to freeze on a lightning bolt and a gear symbol. I'm running out of ideas to get it to boot

Contact Nokia... That sounds really bad. Being a new phone it should qualify for service.
    Perhaps use Nokia care suite to due a firmware reset on the phone?

I am having the same problem!!! Today is only the 18th day I have owned the new Lumia 521.. It was fine this morning.. then on my way to work I pulled it out & it was turned off without me doing so.. When I powered it back on, it showed booted the Nokia name, then T-Mobile, then a blue screen & then turns off.. If I have it plugged into the charger and try to power on it does the exact same thing over & over again until I unplug it.. I have tried to reboot/master reset every way possible both with & without the sim card... I do not know what else to do!! Nothing I try works.. Its just stuck on blue! :(

I have also managed to get my phone to show the lighting bolt & gear symbol.. as well as a " ! " symbol.. I'm am totally lost on wth is going on with this phone.. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Skohn View Post
    I have also managed to get my phone to show the lighting bolt & gear symbol.. as well as a " ! " symbol.. I'm am totally lost on wth is going on with this phone.. :(
    Have it replaced. If you're sure you've tried everything in your power to repair it, have it replaced.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Only Yesterday (おもひでぽろぽろ)

ah the only problem with getting it replaced is that i bought it off a friend :( i will google that nokia care suite thing though thanks for the tip. i wish it was like an android where you can just plug it in and volia full access to install and reset like magic. i dont see what the big appeal for windows phones are if they blue screen like a desktop haha

If you are getting a "Lightning bolt and a gear" normally this is achieved by holding the volume up plus the volume key.

The proper way to reset the device is to:
    With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone, then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.

• An ! mark will appear on the display.
    • Press the following keys in this order:
      1. Volume Up
      2. Volume Down
      3. Power Key
      4. Volume Down
    Thanked by:
    gomaryaoni 
    ryaoni, goma, troysyx and 1 others like this.

Thank you Nomegustaios!!! That worked perfect!! I am happy again.. My blue screen is now gone!!

Ah my phone had the blue screen too. Then i did the power button power down, and the rest of the procider now when i try to turn it on it comes up with a 'Windows Boot' Screen. It says i have to insert my windows installation disc and restart my computer. I have No idea what this is?? so annoyed

Hi, The message probably said" Sim card has to be updated, This is what happened to me when I got my Samsung s2 with sim included. This is how they get you
    .You have to go to their store and get a new card and when you leave, you end up with a contract when they say there is no contract.

i got the same boot screen too :(( any ideas?

My wife had the same thing (blue screen) happen with her Lumia 925, only 2 weeks after buying it. We tried all the resets and T-Mobile had to send a replacement.
    @nomegustaios

Thanks a lot man..it worked!!!
    kudos

Quote Originally Posted by nomegustaios View Post
    If you are getting a "Lightning bolt and a gear" normally this is achieved by holding the volume up plus the volume key.

The proper way to reset the device is to:
    With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone, then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.

• An ! mark will appear on the display.
    • Press the following keys in this order:
      1. Volume Up
      2. Volume Down
      3. Power Key
      4. Volume Down
    That fixed my issue with the blank blue screen and continuous self reboots. Now I've got a pair of gears turning, factory reset?

Anyway thankyou I nearly wanted to pull my hair out. Just gonna wait and see what happens now.

***update*** yeah a factory reset happened, at least its working. Bless you sir.

how mch time it normally takes for factory reset ???? mine happening frm last half n hr

hey do u noe hw mch tym it takes for factory reset ??

Omg I tried everything,took to repair and they said no fix....thank u so much

omg it's still happening, if i push the up button it ask me do i want a custom os system, i say yes and press up and it's just sits there for an hour on the same screen sayig downloading, then i stoped that then i did the down button and it's back to the same thing, it wont boot up to the main menue and it wont let me do a master reset I believe, what do i do? how does this even happen, is there a site i can go to to hook my phone up and let the computer do it'?
    when i want to switch off the keybad tone,and sound played afta checking airtime.and reducing data usage
    my lumia 520 did exactly the same today........am confused

I just got my Nokia Lumina 521 two months ago. I just got the BSOD yesterday. I just tried to

-power on, press and hold volume down button..
    Then volume up, volume down, power...and it still gives me blue screen.any thoughts to fix this issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast