08-12-2013, 08:42 PM #3
- 332 Posts
I'm assuming that you're talking about the at&t GoPhone Lumia 520. If you buy it in a physical store, you don't have to get service. I believe this is the case in Amazon too. If you buy it at att.com you have to pay for atleast a month of service.
- 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM #4
I bought one from Amazon. At the time it was $90.02. I didn't have to buy any Go Phone service. I use my Net 10 AT&T SIM card in it.I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
08-14-2013, 08:13 AM #7
- 18 Posts
My $99 Lumia 520 arrived from Amazon yesterday.
I fired it up, started downloading apps and am learning how to use Windows Phone, and plan to try an H2O wireless sim in it soon.
First impression is that this is a fantastic little device for $99, and if I can use it as a prepaid phone too, all the better.
- 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM #8
This is a great phone for the price. Compared to the other Android 2.x prepaid phones, this is the "cutting-edge." It will work on any prepaid service operating on AT&T or T-Mobile. Use the reference guide to find a provider All Prepaid Wireless Cell Phone Plans and Providers | AllPrepaidPlans.com
- 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM #10I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
08-19-2013, 09:27 AM #11
- 73 Posts
I am planning to convert my wife to a WP user. Bit before I get her a 1020, I want her to experience WP. So I bought a 520 yesterday from Amazon. She is a post paid ATT customer. Question is will her post paid sim card work in the 520 without converting to a prepaid account?Thanks
- 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM #12
Yes, the phone will work fine with her postpaid AT&T card. From my understanding, the SIM cards are exactly the same between post and prepaid (GoPhone). Beyond that, apparently SIMs for AT&T MVNO's (such as Straight Talk) work in the phone without the phone needing to be unlocked.
- 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM #14
That is what others on these forums have reported -- that it is only locked to the AT&T network but will work without being unlocked on AT&T MVNO's. I have heard at least one complaint, however, that you cannot modify the APN, and that has stopped that user from getting MMS texts. Hopefully someone with a 520 using a MVNO will be able to comment further on this.
- 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM #16I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
- 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM #17
There is no difference between the versions sold on Amazon, in the Microsoft Store, or an AT&T store. At most there might be a difference in packaging, but the phone and contents of the package will be the same.
- 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM #21
I'm not sure why they state "unlimited" but they qualify it with an asterisk and list the terms here that state Net10 sim cards that operate on AT&T's network are limited to 1.5 GB of data. NET10 phoneNationwide Prepaid Wireless - Terms And Conditions. I think Net10 sim cards that operate on T-mobile towers might be "unlimited" in terms of you get throttled to 2G at some point rather than cut off.
EDIT: Since I made this post I came across several announcements that Net10's 1.5GB data cap has been lifted like this one: http://www.phonenews.com/net10-remov...limited-23238/ I don't know whether or not this is true because the TOS link above still shows the cap but news article claims they've received confirmation from Net10 and that the TOS will be updated.
Last edited by jdbii; 08-22-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: The 1.5 GB may have been lifted according to some reports.
- 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM #22
- 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM #24
- By Mary Brown1 in forum Nokia Lumia 610Replies: 11Last Post: 09-17-2013, 06:37 AM
- By tallarob in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 7Last Post: 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM
- By nycny in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 16Last Post: 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM
- By ttsoldier in forum Nokia Lumia 1020Replies: 7Last Post: 08-13-2013, 02:21 PM
- By PianoJazz in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 6Last Post: 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM