Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

So if I start or receive a call and hold the phone on my ear the screen turns off. That's normal. But when I take the phone off my ear (to end the call, for example) the screen doesn't turn on again.

I try pressing the power button but it doesn't always turn on. Sometimes I have to press the power button twice, sometimes no matter how many times I press the power button the screen stays black, unless the other party ends the call.

Is this a known issue with this phone? Anyone having similar problems?
    Last edited by MrGoodSmith; 02-27-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Are you using a screen protector? Perhaps the proximity sensor is blocked and does not recognize that you are not holding the device near your ear.

Thanks Laura for the reply. I thought so as well, but I didn't install any screen protector, and out of the box the phone doesn't seem to have any screen protector (unless there is one strongly attached and my finger nail can't find it and peel it).

I have this problem as well. Clicking the power button seems to work each time for me though.

Global Posts
    2,903 Global Posts
    Ensure you display and touch is up to date
    display+touch | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Display & Touch updated, didn't resolve the issue. I need to press the power button twice to unlock the screen during a call.
    I can live with this issue. Actually it may be a plus, since it guarantees not to accidently unlock the screen and end the call or dial something else (like what used to happen with my Lumia 710).
    I Just wanted to know if it's just my phone or everyone else.
    Have the same issue with my Lumia 720 after Amber update.

Faced same issue couple of times...moving the thumb over proximity sensor does the trick for me..

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

I had the same problem, but it was dust covering the proximity sensor. It was fooling the sensor to think that my face was still close to the screen. I used some compressed air around the top of my screen as well as the ear piece. Eventually, I'll have to take it apart and thoroughly clean it out. There are a few theads about the dust problem in the 920s.

Today I was reading another thread about the Lumia 920 which had a similar problem. The solution in that thread was to blow hard into the speaker gap at the top of the phone. Although I didn't believe much in that I went ahead and blew there, and to my surprise the phone screen started unlocking automatically during calls when I take the phone away from my ear!!

Turned out to be some dust blocking the proximity sensor.

They should make these phones dust proof !

--------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: This fix worked only once. The problem happened again, and blowing into the speaker gap doesn't seem to fix it anymore. It may even make it worse.
    Last edited by MrGoodSmith; 02-27-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    M experiencing the same prob...i feel its due to lagging of info sent via proximity sensor and ambient light sensor to the processor...coz i experience the prob when i m outdoors...when i m indoors my sensors and touch work properly....same is the case wid double tap to wake which lags when operated outdoors....

Had same problem removed screen protector and cleaned screen all over with lens tissue seems to have solved problem
    Had similar issue and resolved few minutes back by remove screen protector and clean up over proximity sensor. make sure sensor surface should be clean always. absolutely it works..........